Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:31 am
Banned

graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by dbd33
To protect the jobs of the pampered staff of the liquor control boards. It's daft, but is it life changing?
Life changing ? Liquor control staff and pampered oh they are
Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

lol I think I caused the confusion, it happens a lot when I tell people I don't drink (actually now I think about it UK people struggle with the concept a lot more than Canadians!).

I don't drink. So I don't have to go through 2 checkouts. I like that alcohol is harder to purchase and more expensive. I don't care because I don't drink, and it means I see less drunk people staggering about than I did in the UK, and less empty alcohol containers littering the place. This is a plus point for me.

As for the $5 block of cheese, you can get Black Diamond and the like for $5-6 in Walmart. OK it's not amazing cheese, but it's fine with me!
Old Nov 11th 2014, 8:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh blimey, I go away for a few short hours and look what happens!

So to sum up the last few pages that I had missed until now (a) it seems the troops from NS have been rallied via Facebook to defend it's honour; and (b) Graham the Eggman isn't helping the OP in the slightest.

So, Graham the Eggman, please leave this thread now - with the greatest of respect, you've made your point (repeatedly) about the price of milk and the horrendous inconvenience of having to shop twice, but there are many others that aren't remotely bothered by these things and you can't force your opinion upon them.

For the sake of the OP, let's get this thread back on track shall we? Thanks.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh.

Izzi - Not much of a drinker myself but a shame if you never touch the stuff as there are some excellent vineyards in the valley, some of the best wines I've ever had
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

well I read the first few and then the last few posts...we are planning on moving down to Nova Scotia within next 12 months...we did the look around trip last March...we stayed for 10 days, meet up with the realtor, got the feel for the houses, areas where we want to be, schools for our boys (we did visit two, as it was always around Tantallon - we have got Canadian friends there...who we actually have a lot in common with so happy days)) I am a nurse and I have a job prospect, that is all under control, Sean well he is self employed joiner here in UK...he has got few options there but for time being he might as well stay at home a little bit more to get the boys settled, we kind of figured it out that if we sell UK house we can buy upright in NS... and not a mansion...a house...the one that we will make a home, so that is more less sorted...we went shopping few times to Walmart and Costco and I am sure I can get a great deal in Costco...I just need a freezer...which is kind of cool really...it is not about recalculating the prices dollars to pounds...I just simply believe in NS based on our budget life is just more affordable...I might be naïve but it looks so much more family orientated there than it is in UK, I have this vision in my head of going kayaking with the boys spending time on the beach...going for walks...am I really that far from the reality...
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I have this vision in my head of going kayaking with the boys spending time on the beach...going for walks...am I really that far from the reality...

In January, February and March yes unless you enjoy those activities in the snow
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
well I read the first few and then the last few posts...we are planning on moving down to Nova Scotia within next 12 months...we did the look around trip last March...we stayed for 10 days, meet up with the realtor, got the feel for the houses, areas where we want to be, schools for our boys (we did visit two, as it was always around Tantallon - we have got Canadian friends there...who we actually have a lot in common with so happy days)) I am a nurse and I have a job prospect, that is all under control, Sean well he is self employed joiner here in UK...he has got few options there but for time being he might as well stay at home a little bit more to get the boys settled, we kind of figured it out that if we sell UK house we can buy upright in NS... and not a mansion...a house...the one that we will make a home, so that is more less sorted...we went shopping few times to Walmart and Costco and I am sure I can get a great deal in Costco...I just need a freezer...which is kind of cool really...it is not about recalculating the prices dollars to pounds...I just simply believe in NS based on our budget life is just more affordable...I might be naïve but it looks so much more family orientated there than it is in UK, I have this vision in my head of going kayaking with the boys spending time on the beach...going for walks...am I really that far from the reality...
Glad to see another nurse succeed in making it to NS. It is different but the pay is certainly better than I got when I lived in the UK and at the moment we are managing on one wage whilst hubby starts up his new business and that hasn't been as difficult as I thought it may have been
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

well yes I think I will pass winter time, we visited last March...it was more of a really? lets just stay in...but still enjoyed it...and it helps that originally I came from Poland...-25 ain't gonna stop me))...not so sure about sean...he might just stay in...and cook
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

now that is a bit of good news)) I can't wait for the move my job is very important for me I work on haematology ward in UK and the plan is to do exactly the same in NS...I was offered a role within cancer division but at the time it was not possible to make the move, so to start with any experience is a good experience waiting for this dream vacancy becoming available again...and it will)) I really, truly believe that our life can be so much better, simpler and just enjoyable so...see you soon
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

now then a question...winter sports in NS...? ski/snowboard slops... and...I know it may sound silly but are there any holiday parks around...like haven in UK or Pontins... our boys are still little enough to enjoy it...well only just...or any other suggestions for kids friendly holidays
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...we kind of figured it out that if we sell UK house we can buy upright in NS... and not a mansion...a house...the one that we will make a home, so that is more less sorted...
That makes a world of difference. Your heating costs will likely be a lot more than the UK but your other savings from not paying a mortgage or having a smaller one or not paying rent should more than take care of those things that might be more than the UK.

When I first moved here, my income after housing costs was only slightly more than it was after housing costs in England. The difference was it was just me to feed and clothe in England, whereas it stretched to a family of four over here.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That makes a world of difference. Your heating costs will likely be a lot more than the UK but your other savings from not paying a mortgage or having a smaller one or not paying rent should more than take care of those things that might be more than the UK.

When I first moved here, my income after housing costs was only slightly more than it was after housing costs in England. The difference was it was just me to feed and clothe in England, whereas it stretched to a family of four over here.
I am very positive about the whole thing now even more than before because it looks very very doable...roll on spring
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:29 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Oh blimey, I go away for a few short hours and look what happens!

So to sum up the last few pages that I had missed until now (a) it seems the troops from NS have been rallied via Facebook to defend it's honour; and (b) Graham the Eggman isn't helping the OP in the slightest.

So, Graham the Eggman, please leave this thread now - with the greatest of respect, you've made your point (repeatedly) about the price of milk and the horrendous inconvenience of having to shop twice, but there are many others that aren't remotely bothered by these things and you can't force your opinion upon them.

For the sake of the OP, let's get this thread back on track shall we? Thanks.
I must have missed the facebook rally
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:36 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

now then a question...winter sports in NS...? ski/snowboard slops... and...I know it may sound silly but are there any holiday parks around...like haven in UK or Pontins... our boys are still little enough to enjoy it...well only just...or any other suggestions for kids friendly holidays
There are two ski resorts, little but still good, Wentworth and ski martock. Google them and you will get more info.
I don't believe there are any Haven equivalents here. People tend to go to their cottages, cabins ( if they have them) in the summer and hang out all weekend at a beach or on the lakes. If you don't have them you hang out at home and go to the beach or lake, downtown Halifax as there's something going on seemingly most summer weekends or take a trip to PEI.
We have got a pool which is not unusual here so often spend Sunday's lazing around that feeling thankful
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Google it is then Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.