Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Positive things about Canada?

Positive things about Canada?

Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:12 pm
mickj

Originally posted by seamonsta
Being a bit of a fashion victim, this is a major concern for me! I have this horrendous vision of finding clothes shops selling only lumberjack shirts, tartan shorts and Jesus Sandles!! If that happens I'm straight back on the place to Mancunia!! Fortunately TO seems to have a very large immigrant population, specifically Italians and Brits. Has this had any effect on the state of fashion?
Seamonsta,

You have to watch out for what you are getting in TO too.

Being a london, am not interested in the clothes they sell in this country ( Canada ). Am so used to my dress shirts with cuff links, trousers, and a good pair of shoes from SHIRLEYS, or selfridges. I won't be seen dead on BOND STREET ( can't afford it anyway ).

I use to buy most of my clothes from TOPMAN, H&M, and sometimes BURTONS when i was back home. Not a single one of my 40 odd shirts is canadian, i have the odd DOCKERS that i got from the states.

Me and my canadian wife go back to london once a year now on a cheap flight, just to get my gear. I get compliments all the time from girls here, about my dress sense. Am happy to REPRESENT London in that way.

Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant future

Don't worry, I'm sure Canada sells plenty of tracky bottoms as well as big enough socks to tuck them into... There will be no need to return to Manchester. Not sure about rockports though....or big gold jewelry with your name on it. You may need to go to the States for that.

Being a bit of a fashion victim, this is a major concern for me! I have this horrendous vision of finding clothes shops selling only lumberjack shirts, tartan shorts and Jesus Sandles!! If that happens I'm straight back on the place to Mancunia!!
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by iaink
Not quite 15 foot, but it did come crashing across my path at right angles and ambled off into the woods at about 20kmh, so i didnt get too long a look. Scary fast over the terain though.

The one in the yard I caught on video, we got a call from a neighbour to say there was a bear heading in our direction. It was a thrill to see, here's a vidcap of it by our compost heap....lovely background...sorry about that! Bit anxious when he slowed to take a look into the bedroom, where the new baby was sleeping:scared: but he moved on without really breaking stride. Someone else saw him nearby the next day, but then nothing after that.

Citizenship is easy, three years as a resident and a simple test. Saves doing the PR card thing over and over too.

Iain
COR!!! ... A real live Winnie!

That's mad! I thought it was bad enough getting skunks on public transport (now there's a true story!), but a bear in the garden...

:scared:

Hubbie's a nature fiend and have often bored, sorry, educated me in bear etiquette - when to run, when not to run, which one runs quicker.

... please tell me that the Citizenship exam is easier than getting the PR application ready??

Ta!
Wendy
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a bit of a fashion victim, this is a major concern for me! I have this horrendous vision of finding clothes shops selling only lumberjack shirts, tartan shorts and Jesus Sandles!! If that happens I'm straight back on the place to Mancunia!! Fortunately TO seems to have a very large immigrant population, specifically Italians and Brits. Has this had any effect on the state of fashion?
That's what I was saying earlier, we have to inject some Brit chic into the Canadian fashions...

Seriously... Hubbie and I have been over wuite a few times, and not once have we brought back clothes... tell a lie. We did bring back a pair of trainers once.
Being a "cuddly" frame, I've been a bit horrified by the ladies fashions.
BUT!!! In the spirit of integration, immigration, and assimilation - you'll just have to get used to the check shirts, shorts and sandals!!
(and don't forget your "play-offs" beard!)

... and I will look forward to wearing my espadrills and mu-mu with pride.

Wendy
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Lapsed Canuck
Don't worry, I'm sure Canada sells plenty of tracky bottoms as well as big enough socks to tuck them into... There will be no need to return to Manchester. Not sure about rockports though....or big gold jewelry with your name on it. You may need to go to the States for that.
But where will he get his Kappa jackets and "Burberry" baseball caps???
... come to think of it? Where will I get my "Burberry" kilt and handbags?

Wendy
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Purple74
COR!!! ... A real live Winnie!

That's mad! I thought it was bad enough getting skunks on public transport (now there's a true story!), but a bear in the garden...

Hubbie's a nature fiend and have often bored, sorry, educated me in bear etiquette - when to run, when not to run, which one runs quicker.

... please tell me that the Citizenship exam is easier than getting the PR application ready??

Ta!
Wendy
Citizenship is REALY easy, hardest part is finding the right size photos, and parting with $200.

I knew all the bear ettiquete as well, but when I met a bear out of the blue, in my case i forgot all of it

Iain
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by iaink
Citizenship is REALY easy, hardest part is finding the right size photos, and parting with $200.

I knew all the bear ettiquete as well, but when I met a bear out of the blue, in my case i forgot all of it

Iain
Well, $200 isn't so bad compared to the PR app costs...

... and I think that would be my hubbie's reaction also...
Macho men, eh?

Wendy
Old Mar 5th 2004, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Purple74
But where will he get his Kappa jackets and "Burberry" baseball caps???
... come to think of it? Where will I get my "Burberry" kilt and handbags?

Wendy
Hey, sod that.

On my trip to Ont. in May I'll be stocking up on those brightly coloured jumpers with a HUGE maple leaf on and CANADA written all over. I've already started growing my hair - by 2005 when we plan to emigrate it'll be just about ready for a quick trim at the front and a decent perm at the back.

Yes siree - all set for my trip to Kitchener-Waterloo - Home of the 21st Century Mullet...

...apparently.

Remember folks -when in Rome!
Old Mar 5th 2004, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

quebirder is an unknown quantity at this point

Canadian fashion sense ..... now this is a HUGE generalisation of course but living in Montreal it has been my observation that (in general) the styles talked about in previous posts here, the shorts, sandals with white sox, check shirts etc are more commonly seen in the anglophone areas of town and that the French have a rather better developed sense of euro-style.

By the way - this week the temperataure crept, temporarily, over freezing point for a few hours and I saw my fist pair of shorts of the season gracing the snow banks. Doesn't take much.

Discuss
Old Mar 5th 2004, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mr Lee
Hey, sod that.

On my trip to Ont. in May I'll be stocking up on those brightly coloured jumpers with a HUGE maple leaf on and CANADA written all over. I've already started growing my hair - by 2005 when we plan to emigrate it'll be just about ready for a quick trim at the front and a decent perm at the back.

Yes siree - all set for my trip to Kitchener-Waterloo - Home of the 21st Century Mullet...

...apparently.

Remember folks -when in Rome!

*LMAO* nice one... I'll have to get Scott a wig though; he's *whisper* thinning on top (but not going bald, eh?) ... anyone recommend a good mullet wig maker?

Wendy
(already got my Leafs shirt! and the sandals and the shorts!)
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

MacMat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Me in all my Canadian plaid glory!

Originally posted by mickj
You are taking the mick right? Jeans, checked shirts, a mullet, and running shoes, and you call that class? Oh...aren't you forgetting the size of the ford F150 too, because as far as i know, its always about the size of their truck, which could only mean one thing.....making up for the size of their KNOB

That kind of fashion must go down well in the trailer parks, and the boonies, not with someone that just came from Europe. Some of them London is a place in Ontario :-)

Canadian guys would not know what BROGUEs and a nice suit from MOSS BROS or Saville row is if it hit them on the head. I don't think the british male has anything to worry about if he comes here on vacation, because the canadian guys i see here during the summer wearing their jesus sandals and funny shorts that people won't be seen dead in Europe, are no match.

Don't even get me started on how some of the ladies dress

Although an older picture, here's one of me that I realize could very well fit the typical stereotype of the Canadian male (minus the toothpick, lumber axe and beard of course). I am even wearing the patriotic Canadian colours of red and white! See - http://members.shaw.ca/macmat/ I put the plaid background there for added effect of course!

I probably lack fashion sense, or rather I have an eye for it but just don't follow any myself. But when I think about it, I have to conclude that I really just don't give a s#@!*t! People who think they are better simply because of how they dress seems too superficial to me. I think a girl can look cutest just wearing her hair tied at the back with a light-coloured sweater on and tight jeans to show off her figure (as just one simple example). That's all that's really "required". Maybe Canadians in general just aren't as bothered by "bad" fashion... well, unless perhaps you're from Toronto. In this sense you have the freedom to wear what you want without looking like some kind of condemned alien creature amongst all the "elite" well-dressed yuppie snobs. Know what I mean? So if you want to dress casual or like you belong in a magazine ad all your life, it's all up to you. Perhaps if I was in London, I would get people snickering behind my back about how fashionably insensible I am. But alas, I would not care
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Me in all my Canadian plaid glory!

Originally posted by MacMat
But when I think about it, I have to conclude that I really just don't give a s#@!*t! People who think they are better simply because of how they dress seems too superficial to me.
Thank god, I am not the only one then. If it makes you feel good to dress to the nines, thats great, but dont go judging anyone based on what they wear.

Damn, the last time I wore a suit and tie was for an interview, I love the laid back dress code. Like you said, who gives a shit, lifes too short to worry what other people think about you.

Iain
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:42 pm
mickj

Although an older picture, here's one of me that I realize could very well fit the typical stereotype of the Canadian male (minus the toothpick, lumber axe and beard of course). I am even wearing the patriotic Canadian colours of red and white! See - http://members.shaw.ca/macmat/ I put the plaid background there for added effect of course!

I probably lack fashion sense, or rather I have an eye for it but just don't follow any myself. But when I think about it, I have to conclude that I really just don't give a s#@!*t! People who think they are better simply because of how they dress seems too superficial to me. I think a girl can look cutest just wearing her hair tied at the back with a light-coloured sweater on and tight jeans to show off her figure (as just one simple example). That's all that's really "required". Maybe Canadians in general just aren't as bothered by "bad" fashion... well, unless perhaps you're from Toronto. In this sense you have the freedom to wear what you want without looking like some kind of condemned alien creature amongst all the "elite" well-dressed yuppie snobs. Know what I mean? So if you want to dress casual or like you belong in a magazine ad all your life, it's all up to you. Perhaps if I was in London, I would get people snickering behind my back about how fashionably insensible I am. But alas, I would not care

Now that is a typical North American male right there
That look wouldn't go down well in london mate, its all about first impressions, and well of course when you open your mouth, things could go rather well or pear-shaped.

Lumber jack shirts are sooooooooooooo yesterday. I bet you have a truck ( Ford 150 )? Go on don't be shy, you can tell us

Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

But when I think about it, I have to conclude that I really just don't give a s#@!*t! People who think they are better simply because of how they dress seems too superficial to me.
Ditto...
Never given a crap really about what people think about me, as long as I'm clean, ironed (pet peeve), happy and comfortable, I don't care. In my Uni days I went to the opposite extreme and figured if people were going to look down their upturned noses at me then I'd give them good reason to. And I felt even better. Unfortunately, when I left Uni and had to face the "real" world of working in an office, I've had to change and conform. I even have sensible hair again...

... and Canucks really THAT non-judgmental/free? That could be refreshing. Perhaps that's why the non-ironic-mullet is so abundant...

Another thing to add to my list then...
... now, where's me 'air dye?

Cheers!!

Wendy
Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

MacMat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mickj
Now that is a typical North American male right there
That look wouldn't go down well in london mate, its all about first impressions, and well of course when you open your mouth, things could go rather well or pear-shaped.

Lumber jack shirts are sooooooooooooo yesterday. I bet you have a truck ( Ford 150 )? Go on don't be shy, you can tell us
They're so yesterday? I didn't even think they were that.

As far as I can tell, in North America it's mostly the women who like driving the SUVs. Small cars are okay, but in a blizzard or after lots of snow fall they get stuck in the snow too easily. I drive a car myself, but a new truck would be nice, sure. At least there's room for them here. I'd hate to feel that I would have to always drive a small car because of lack of space. Also on a two-way highway in the countryside, when a big semi-trailer comes wooshing by, a small car tends to want to veer off the road. However, in the city what I hate most is civilian/family vans. Usually there's only one person driving in it anyway, and they're excellent at blocking everyone else's view.

If I cared about fashion, I think I would adapt Italian styles. Although safer, simply formal wear like suits can be boring and vanilla plain. A modern well-dressed Italian seems to mix it up best IMHO -- Sharp, yet still hip and sexy.

When you think about it with a philosophical view point, fashion is a rather strange characteristic of humans. Basically it evolves when people start copying the way other people dress because they like the new look. The people who don't copy, end up eventually being considered out of style. It reminds me of the one-liner, "you're unique just like everybody else".

About first impressions, it's true what you say. A large wallet gives off good first impressions too though But what does it all really mean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.