Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ping Pong Poms - Canada vs NZ, Australia or UK

Ping Pong Poms - Canada vs NZ, Australia or UK

Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Pong Poms - Canada vs NZ, Australia or UK

Originally Posted by JamesM
I think, indirectly and reading between the lines, that this individual is secretly trying to tell us that they don't have a decent Hooters like establishment in their neighbourhood and therefore it does not feel like home.
*Husband goes off to google*
So I'm informed there are actually 3 Hooters in Sydney. One is 10 minutes drive away from our house. Who knew? He better not get any ideas......
Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Honestly? Absolutely no sarcasm: no, it didn't, sorry .
sigh, well I'm out of practice. The natives don't do sarcasm here either, so we've had to tone it down significantly over the years.

You keep banging on about the shortfalls of NZ housing/building standards while other posters are trying to give pertinent info about GTA housing.
I've been baited and I'm like a dog with a bone. Just can't let it go.
Plus in fairness, I'm one of those people who is pretty happy and content, and find it realtively easy to adapt to a change of scenery and a different sort of lifestyle as long as the place I'm living is comfortable. I'm totally appreciative of the information I've been given about GTA housing. Now I need to understand what all those real estate photos aren't telling or showing me.

I could regale you with horror stories about CDN housing/building standards until my w(h)ine finishes "breathing" to room temperature, but it wouldn't be terribly relevant...
Go on - do try! Seriously! I want to know about all the horror stories. True ones, mind. That way, when I'm looking at photos of lovely looking houses online, I'll at least have some idea about what might be wrong with them. In fact perhaps later on I'll do as suggested and start a housing related thread.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
Canada is just going to be a cold version of Australia.
And this is a bad thing why exactly?
Old Sep 28th 2015, 9:05 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
And this is a bad thing why exactly?
Who said anything about it being bad ?
Old Sep 28th 2015, 9:21 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Other than comiserating with us Brits, Europeans and Americans about how damn cold our respective antipodean houses have been over winter, our perspectives about various other things are quite different.

For example one the things some of my Canadian and American friends seem to be especially bothered by is the size of houses here. They think they are small and bemoan the lack of a basement.

Being British, we think houses here are pretty damn big.
Seriously! I want to know about all the horror stories. True ones, mind. That way, when I'm looking at photos of lovely looking houses online, I'll at least have some idea about what might be wrong with them.

In fact perhaps later on I'll do as suggested and start a housing related thread.

That pretty much sums up the 'ping pong poms' housing question
Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
The sweet potato fries stay the same! Do they get those in New Zealand?
Colloquially known as kumara fries in NZ, and OMG they are delicious. They also have some other varieties of sweet spud that I've never seen elsewhere. Now I'm drooling. They don't really grow decent spuds in Aussie though. Climate is too hot I think .
Old Sep 30th 2015, 1:52 am
Just Joined

mikejaynes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
So, out of the frying pan and into the freezer then....
well said