Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yes - we need bigger televisions to hide behind when the bullets come through our windows and walls.
Not the doors, then?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
As for the US, IMO its a $hithole country to live in
Have you lived there? Like Canada, it's a big country and there are good and bad areas everywhere. Difficult to generalize a country so large as being a $hithole.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not the doors, then?
When they are coming through the doors, I hide behind our massive sectional couch.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robbyls
I immigrated to Canada 4 years and I have to admit it was because Canada is close to the US so I decided to move here. But speaking of Canada itself, the winter is so harsh and lengthy - I am in Toronto, it is actually not a liveable place to me.

I wonder for other people who immigrate here. The reason to pick Canada is because Canada is really good its alone or because its neighbour is the biggest economy.
We're talking about 2 huge countries. The winters are not harsh everywhere in Canada. Also there are many places in the US that have harsh winters.

I moved to Canada for Canada. I had no intention of living in the US but that's exactly where I ended up (via a short 2 year return to the UK). Some people do use Canada as a stepping stone to the US. Some don't start out with that intention but end up moving from Canada to the US for a variety of reasons e.g. company transfers.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The Keg is where Rob Ford's voter go for their Silver Wedding celebrations.
Good, its good honest food at good honest prices for good honest people. I rather that than some liberal media loving nouvelle cuisine where they don’t put enough on a plate to feed an anorexic stick insect, or some trendy Italian style pizza place where they charge you $20 for a pizza.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Good, its good honest food at good honest prices for good honest people. I rather that than some liberal media loving nouvelle cuisine where they don’t put enough on a plate to feed an anorexic stick insect, or some trendy Italian style pizza place where they charge you $20 for a pizza.
Do they do Specials for Utterly Dishonest Crack-smoking Politicians? (UDCPs)

Lox and Rocks? A Good Joint on Sunday? Rolly-polly Mayor's Dessert? The Fattest Slob in the City all you can eat Thursdays?

Leg of Oinker?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Lox and Rocks? A Good Joint on Sunday? Rolly-polly Mayor's Dessert? The Fattest Slob in the City all you can eat Thursdays?

Leg of Oinker?
Very east coast.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Ignorance? Spare me. Why should I learn French when I will never ever need it? I'm not going to bother learning Russian either, does that make one ignorant too?
Not speaking Russian just makes you less well educated than you might be. Since it's not a language of the country where you live there's no particular advantage in knowing it. I hear it often, spoken by Russians or by people who grew up in occupied Poland. There would be some advantage in knowing it though Yiddish would likely serve for the same audience. Again, if you think not speaking Russian, or Punjabi, or any other language is a badge of honour, then good for you. I know French to be of value in Canada, immediate value if one would like a job with the Feds, but my original point was that people who speak French already would likely gain more advantage by moving to Canada than to the US.

No kidding. But we get more for our taxes and many of us, myself included, think it is a good trade-off. I'd rather pay higher taxes and not worry about going bankrupt just because I had the temerity to get sick.
Firstly, I qualified my initial comment with reference to healthy people so your trade-off is of no relevance. Secondly, my broad point was that, for people who live in subdivisions, the difference in day-to-day life, and so in quality of life, is minute. If one lives in a griege box in Naperville, life is not discernably different from life in such a box in Mississauga. What difference there is comes down to consumer durables of which the television is symbolic.

This is a completely silly assumption as there is a great deal of variation in housing across both countries. The housing in Mississauga is not the same as the housing in areas of B.C. nor is it the same as housing in an area like Phoenix.
Tract houses in Phoenix have taller internal doors than similar houses in Mississauga or Victoria. Otherwise, they're stick built, covered in plastic and crammed together, they're in projects named for whatever was bulldozed, Aspen Ridge, Arbours of Cobblers, Pining for the Desert. On the edge of each city there's mile upon mile of them, punctuated by identi-plazas containing drug store and a Keg/Outback where, to celebrate big events, the box-dwellers go to try tiger shrimps or kangaroo testicles.

That is a preposterous statement. If the quality of your life is determined by the size of your TV then you must lead an empty life as there is far, far more to life than television. The quality of my life wouldn't decrease one iota if I was to go a week without turning it on as I have far more going on in my life than television.
You think yours is small, don't you?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
In Toronto you'd likely be better off picking an Asian language of some sort. Or Italian. Or Polish
If it's to be able to converse with the greatest number of people then I'd say one of the Asian languages. I think most people who speak Italian or Polish in Toronto also speak English (and quite possibly French) so nothing is gained by learning their language. If it's for commerical advantage around the world then, again, one of the Asian ones. If, however, the objective is to have a career in Canada (mysterious as that aim may be) then French is the way to go; there are many affirmative action programs available to francophones and there's a lot of money in Quebec, it'd be foolish to miss out on that leverage or that market just to be able to fart higher than your arse.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:05 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
If it's to be able to converse with the greatest number of people then I'd say one of the Asian languages. I think most people who speak Italian or Polish in Toronto also speak English (and quite possibly French) so nothing is gained by learning their language. If it's for commerical advantage around the world then, again, one of the Asian ones. If, however, the objective is to have a career in Canada (mysterious as that aim may be) then French is the way to go; there are many affirmative action programs available to francophones and there's a lot of money in Quebec, it'd be foolish to miss out on that leverage or that market just to be able to fart higher than your arse.
Je vais laisser ce débat au maître.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

The fact is that French matters in Quebec, some areas of New Brunswick, and not really anywhere else. Someone can live their entire lives in Ontario, Alberta, etc. without ever having to speak a single word of French.
It depends on where you live in Ontario. You'll hear lots of French where Ontario borders Quebec and particularly so in Ottawa. French is one of Canada's official languages so there are advantages to knowing the language in terms of job opportunities e.g. federal government, companies that do business in Quebec, etc. It's also beneficial when travelling to Quebec. Sure, you can live your entire life without knowing French but knowing it definitely opens up more opportunities in Canada.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:23 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Many people underestimate the extent of the Francophonie in Toronto
I don't think so.

French comes well down the list in terms of speakers. Behind English, Chinese variants, Farsi, Portugese, Italian, Russian, Urdu, Spanish, Tagalog and Tamil.

In other words, French is a pretty minor language in Toronto. It just has more special status than it probably ought to. On a province wide basis French comes in 2nd...but in Toronto it's not even in the top 10

Last edited by orly; Jan 7th 2014 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I don't think so.

French comes well down the list in terms of speakers. Behind English, Chinese variants, Farsi, Portugese, Italian, Russian, Urdu, Spanish, Tagalog and Tamil.

In other words, French is a pretty minor language in Toronto. It just has more special status than it probably ought to. On a province wide basis French comes in 2nd...but in Toronto it's not even in the top 10
Then more residents of Toronto should learn the language so as to lessen the us vs. them gap between Toronto and the rest of the province. As immigrants we, of course, have an obligation to try and learn the language, just as we have an obligation to try and master which end of an iced hockey puck is which.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:46 pm
Born again atheist

I don't think so.

Minor, yes. (32,500 people claim it as their mother tongue). An undocumented number in addition speak it.

Negligible, no. Useful, certainly.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:49 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Leg of Oinker?
Can we have the next Expats Drink Up at Moxie's??? Just planting the seed here under the radar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.