Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Originally Posted by dbd33
Would they be cooked or are they a sushi place too now?
Cooked. But imo if you're a vegetarian you might what to treat yourself once in a while and get a one of their classic steak dinners. Life's too short to be miserable all the time.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:30 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

That's the one. I'd ask it it's any good but that'd be like asking a vegetarian to rate The Keg.
Enough at it for the non-sushi eater. Colleagues seem to like it too. Reasonably priced at lunch time. About $14+government theft.

Now that The Keg has opened at Pergola Commons the wife is dropping hints. She'll have to wait til her birthday in August though!

Last edited by orly; Jan 6th 2014 at 7:32 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Enough at it for the non-sushi eater. Colleagues seem to like it too.

Now that The Keg has opened at Pergola Commons the wife is dropping hints. She'll have to wait til her birthday in August though!
Don't be cheap, take the poor girl on Saturday. I'd reccomeend the scallops and bacon, the escargot and some stuffed mushroom caps with garlic and herbs, then I'd plump for the rib steak (bone-in, (giggity)) or one of the classic prime rib and Keg combinations, followed by the brownie sundae or the apple crumble.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:44 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Don't be cheap, take the poor girl on Saturday. I'd reccomeend the scallops and bacon, the escargot and some stuffed mushroom caps with garlic and herbs, then I'd plump for the rib steak (bone-in, (giggity)) or one of the classic prime rib and Keg combinations, followed by the brownie sundae or the apple crumble.
2014 is the year for being cheap.
2012 was the "reasonably frugal but still rather expensive wedding year".
2013 was the "still rather expensive immigration plus 2 months out of work while CIC got off their backsides year".

Now that she's nearly finished, my wife helpfully worked out that between the both of us we "only" owe about $30k in student loans. Luckily, however, her intended career path should have her starting on $150k so that ought not to be a problem in the longer term (hopefully )
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is a bilingual country, English and French.
Thanks for the news flash. Having been in Canada the majority of my life I never would have known that unless you had pointed it out.

The fact is that French matters in Quebec, some areas of New Brunswick, and not really anywhere else. Someone can live their entire lives in Ontario, Alberta, etc. without ever having to speak a single word of French.

I'm sure there are people who live in Canada while being illiterate in both languages, it doesn't seem like something to which one should aspire but if ignorance pleases you, good for you.
Ignorance? Spare me. Why should I learn French when I will never ever need it? I'm not going to bother learning Russian either, does that make one ignorant too?

Taxes are less there.

No kidding. But we get more for our taxes and many of us, myself included, think it is a good trade-off. I'd rather pay higher taxes and not worry about going bankrupt just because I had the temerity to get sick.

I would think that enough to provide bigger televisions.
A silly notion as it presupposes A) that we don't buy televisions just as big as people in the US do and B) that everyone wants a bigger television in the first place. I am quite happy with my 30+ inch television and have no need for, nor desire to buy, some big 50 inch TV.

That type of housing, as in Mississauga north of the QEW, is identical to that in much of the US.
This is a completely silly assumption as there is a great deal of variation in housing across both countries. The housing in Mississauga is not the same as the housing in areas of B.C. nor is it the same as housing in an area like Phoenix.

The difference in quality of life really does come down to the size of one's television.

That is a preposterous statement. If the quality of your life is determined by the size of your TV then you must lead an empty life as there is far, far more to life than television. The quality of my life wouldn't decrease one iota if I was to go a week without turning it on as I have far more going on in my life than television.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I did cover the matter of healthcare in my original post. A friend, paid exactly the same as me and living in NoVa (suburban DC) pays about 2% less in taxes than I do (in Ontario). Since he chooses to have no health insurance, he's better off than I am.
Until he gets sick and then he is screwed.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:51 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by colchar
Ignorance? Spare me. Why should I learn French when I will never ever need it? I'm not going to bother learning Russian either, does that make one ignorant too?
My mother in law put all her kids in french immersion. Her brother (my wifes uncle) refused to put his kids in french immersion on the basis that Canada is an English speaking country regardless of what the government would have you believe. My wife is clearly fluent but she remarks that due to where we live she is so out of practice that she'd clearly stand out against any mother tongue french speaker these days.

Being British I have little more than a few phrases in French. When we lived in Ottawa it would have been genuinely useful.

Back in SW Ontario I only ever hear French the odd time. Hear Urdu and Punjabi and whatever variant of "Chinese" a lot more around here.

Last edited by orly; Jan 6th 2014 at 8:00 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think you understate the degree to which French is spoken in Toronto

Pardon? I've lived just outside Toronto for the majority of my life and have never once had to speak French for anything. Not once. I can't even remember the last time I heard anyone speaking French other than two friends of mine who are actually from Quebec and were speaking it to each other. The language is completely unnecessary here regardless of your silly claims.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:01 pm
The ride never ends

Pardon? I've lived just outside Toronto for the majority of my life and have never once had to speak French for anything. Not once. I can't even remember the last time I heard anyone speaking French other than two friends of mine who are actually from Quebec and were speaking it to each other. The language is completely unnecessary here regardless of your silly claims.
In Toronto you'd likely be better off picking an Asian language of some sort. Or Italian. Or Polish
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:33 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The "Baseball" cooked Chicago style is a must have at The Keg.

Do you have a Moxie's in Vancouver?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM
The "Baseball" cooked Chicago style is a must have at The Keg.

Do you have a Moxie's in Vancouver?
I don't like the baseball, its too chewy.

We used to have one down the road but I never went in there. We have an Earls and a Cactus Club round the corner, both are a bit meh. The Keg is where its at, its a time machine back to the 1980s. But without a salad bar.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the baseball, its too chewy.

We used to have one down the road but I never went in there. We have an Earls and a Cactus Club round the corner, both are a bit meh. The Keg is where its at, its a time machine back to the 1980s. But without a salad bar.
Moxie's just opened in Toronto. They have the best "chicks" now.

The Keg has enjoyed a resurgence in recent years.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
In Toronto you'd likely be better off picking an Asian language of some sort. Or Italian. Or Polish
The operatives here are "outside of Toronto" and "never had to speak".

Many people underestimate the extent of the Francophonie in Toronto itself and certainly no-one needs to speak it. But very many do.

Add up the Francophones (many from Africa and parts of the Caribbean) in Toronto and you might be surprised.

Of course you don't need to associate with such folk.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean the US, then it's common for people to use Canada as a stepping stone. For healthy people who are not concerned with speaking French, America offers a higher material standard of living. I would think most anyone living in a Canadian subdivision would want to move to the US, life would be the same but with an even bigger television.
Yes - we need bigger televisions to hide behind when the bullets come through our windows and walls.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
The Keg has enjoyed a resurgence in recent years.
The Keg is where Rob Ford's voter go for their Silver Wedding celebrations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.