Reload this Page >

Paying back student loan

Paying back student loan

Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

krasy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paying back student loan

Originally Posted by dthomas
Why not contact the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and have them put it off in deferral to the war debt? Last I heard UK still owed US$22.7m to Canada for bayonets and gas fittings. You owe them - they owe us - s'done deal mate! Slip the clerk a pony if they give you any lip.
hahahahaha I like this one!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

Now I'm worried! Since leaving university in 2003 I never earned over the threshold amount and therefore never paid any of my loan back. I moved to Canada in 2008 and until I read this post thought nothing of the loan. I had lived at 4 different addresses in the UK before coming here the last being my parents for a couple of months and they havnt received anything from the SLC. hmmm. will I be arrested at the airport when I go back to visit????
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:28 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sammypeeps
Now I'm worried! Since leaving university in 2003 I never earned over the threshold amount and therefore never paid any of my loan back. I moved to Canada in 2008 and until I read this post thought nothing of the loan. I had lived at 4 different addresses in the UK before coming here the last being my parents for a couple of months and they havnt received anything from the SLC. hmmm. will I be arrested at the airport when I go back to visit????
I'm afraid its even worse than that. They will send 3 men in lovely suits from the SLC's crack team of lawyers, and force you to clean their shoes, until you have worked an equivalent amount of time to the money owed.

Nah, a letter to SLC will update their records. By what I've heard, they will be pretty thrilled you're actually bothering to do the leg work for them of finding your new address You could use the online system - although I lost me sign in, and I can't get the information sent to me, due to data privacy concerns. *sigh*
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice

Any one who is having problems go to this website it can help with information about over seas debt and the SLC
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...Account-issues

firefox
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice

Originally Posted by firefox
Any one who is having problems go to this website it can help with information about over seas debt and the SLC
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...Account-issues

firefox
this one is for the UK SLC http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...p?131-Students
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I have to pay them about $200 a month at the moment. It is really quite annoying
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wizzard
I have to pay them about $200 a month at the moment. It is really quite annoying
Hey if you read some of the post you dont have to pay them back. they would have to get a CCJ first in the UK and they cant if you dont live there
firefox
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:18 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard
Why annoying ?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed something on the news in the last week or so about repayment of UK student loans for those who move overseas. It seemed as though for those who let the authorities know their new overseas address repayment levels are adjusted according to a different salary threshold compared to the UK ie not a straight conversion at whatever the exchange rate is. For example, I think the salary for someone living in India the salary threshold might be 6,000 GBP as the per capita GDP in India is much lower. In most cases it seemed the monthly payments would be higher for those overseas than in the UK for the same salary.

It was stated that it was up to the student to be able to demonstrate that their earnings were very low if that was their situation. I think it also said for those who went AWOL the details went to some agency and the costs incurred by the agency in tracing the student were added to the loan.

Here is the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...onth-more.html

Last edited by jimf; Mar 16th 2011 at 10:37 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimf
I noticed something on the news in the last week or so about repayment of UK student loans for those who move overseas. It seemed as though for those who let the authorities know their new overseas address repayment levels are adjusted according to a different salary threshold compared to the UK ie not a straight conversion at whatever the exchange rate is. For example, I think the salary for someone living in India the salary threshold might be 6,000 GBP as the per capita GDP in India is much lower. In most cases it seemed the monthly payments would be higher for those overseas than in the UK for the same salary.

It was stated that it was up to the student to be able to demonstrate that their earnings were very low if that was their situation. I think it also said for those who went AWOL the details went to some agency and the costs incurred by the agency in tracing the student were added to the loan.
Before they can do anything they have to get a ccj which they cant if you live outside of the uK
Old Mar 17th 2011, 8:29 am
Banned

priyamong is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Paying back student loan

sorry don't have any knowledge about it
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey if you read some of the post you dont have to pay them back. they would have to get a CCJ first in the UK and they cant if you dont live there
firefox
Assuming one has the lack of moral fibre requisite in cheating on one's debts and assuming that it's true that they can't enforce the debt in Canada (which I highly doubt) will one not be royally ****ed if and when one returns to the UK? They're not going to say "oh, he or she went abroad, nevermind then", they'll have fines and penalties at the ready.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Assuming one has the lack of moral fibre requisite in cheating on one's debts and assuming that it's true that they can't enforce the debt in Canada (which I highly doubt) will one not be royally ****ed if and when one returns to the UK? They're not going to say "oh, he or she went abroad, nevermind then", they'll have fines and penalties at the ready.
Yes for someone with an absence of scruples, a desire to burn bridges and confidence (however unrealistic) that it's not possible to enforce UK debts in Canada, not paying the UK student loan is probably the logical thing to do. I'm sure they exist.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

It also depends on ones circumstance with me the exchange rate drop so much it take me over the limit by 20 pounds and They want 300 pounds of me, my wife was let go last year and she is only on part time work. We found that at the end of each month we are short of money and have to use the CC to help get through each month. It’s been very tough here in Canada and it looks like it’s not going to get any easier soon due to ill health on my part. When you try to explain this to the SLC they don’t care I have sent forms off showing what we earn and what we pay out but they just say you are over the limit by 20 so you must pay 300 plus the cost of sending the money to them.

Sometimes you need to know the whole picture and not just a part of it yes it would be good to pay back but when you don’t have it what do you do, if we paid it we would lose the house which would open bigger problems as it is in negative equity since the crash of house prices last year. Some don’t pay it just because they don’t want to some don’t pay it because no matter what they just can’t afford it
Firefox
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It also depends on ones circumstance with me the exchange rate drop so much it take me over the limit by 20 pounds and They want 300 pounds of me, my wife was let go last year and she is only on part time work. We found that at the end of each month we are short of money and have to use the CC to help get through each month. It’s been very tough here in Canada and it looks like it’s not going to get any easier soon due to ill health on my part. When you try to explain this to the SLC they don’t care I have sent forms off showing what we earn and what we pay out but they just say you are over the limit by 20 so you must pay 300 plus the cost of sending the money to them.

Sometimes you need to know the whole picture and not just a part of it yes it would be good to pay back but when you don’t have it what do you do, if we paid it we would lose the house which would open bigger problems as it is in negative equity since the crash of house prices last year. Some don’t pay it just because they don’t want to some don’t pay it because no matter what they just can’t afford it
Firefox
Oh, and that's just the half of it, I know that the SLC is comparable to Rogers and Bell in terms of competence and efficiency. They're all about disarray and the infliction of misery. I just don't think you can avoid having to pay them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.