Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Paying back student loan

Paying back student loan

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice
Default Paying back student loan

I just wanted to know if anyone is currently having to make payments to student loan company in the Uk from Canada? I am due to start paying mine end of the month. I am not sure of the best method to send payments every month. I was initially going to wire money to my UK account from my canada account. However i think my bank charges $15 dollars to wire each time. I dont think that would be the best way. The other option would be paying via canadian visa credit card. I am considering using this method but not sure if this is the best way to make the payments.

I would appreciate any comments on experience having to make payments and the most hassle free and cheapest method to do so.

Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paying back student loan

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
I just wanted to know if anyone is currently having to make payments to student loan company in the Uk from Canada? I am due to start paying mine end of the month. I am not sure of the best method to send payments every month. I was initially going to wire money to my UK account from my canada account. However i think my bank charges $15 dollars to wire each time. I dont think that would be the best way. The other option would be paying via canadian visa credit card. I am considering using this method but not sure if this is the best way to make the payments.

I would appreciate any comments on experience having to make payments and the most hassle free and cheapest method to do so.

Thanks everyone.
To be honest, I dont know how this would work.
When I had mine, I didnt have the option to pay it back- as soon as I was earning above a certain threshold, the money came straight from my salary.
They take a certain amount, depending on how much you earn. If you earn below a certain threshold, you pay nothing.

I dont know if this has changed at all, but you'll probably need to speak to the student loans company.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by jericho
To be honest, I dont know how this would work.
When I had mine, I didnt have the option to pay it back- as soon as I was earning above a certain threshold, the money came straight from my salary.
They take a certain amount, depending on how much you earn. If you earn below a certain threshold, you pay nothing.

I dont know if this has changed at all, but you'll probably need to speak to the student loans company.
Hi Jericho

When you mention that you had it deducted automatically, were you work in Canada or UK?
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Hi Jericho

When you mention that you had it deducted automatically, were you work in Canada or UK?
No, this was back in the UK and was around 10 years ago.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

It used to come out automatically when i was in the UK too. I am now living in Canada and therefore you have to arrange the payments as you can not take it out automatically. Just not sure of the best method.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:26 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with the Student Loans Company. I came to Canada over a year go now and I've been wrangling with them ever since. Do they know you are in Canada? I think the first step is to let them know you have left the UK. Then they will need to see what you earn in Canada so they can work out your repayments. You can pay online once you get registered on the repayment part of their website, or post them a cheque.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

I kept my UK bank account up and running and transfer enough money every few months or so via paypal (I set up 2 accounts with 2 email addresses one attached to my UK account and one attached to my canadian account) you still have to pay fees but as I wasn't transferring a huge lump sum it worked out cheaper than paying the bank fees everytime.

P.s I can't stand the student loan company, they're so incompetent. I can't count the number of times I've been on the phone to them saying I'm trying to give you the money just take it!!!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:23 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Given the exchange rate at the moment might it be worth getting a loan here and just paying off the student loan? Its probably as cheap as it will ever be.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Given the exchange rate at the moment might it be worth getting a loan here and just paying off the student loan? Its probably as cheap as it will ever be.
Building crediting rating in the process
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Lemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant future

The SLC is useless! Apparently my loan was transferred to another company and they didn't even bother telling me. But to defer my loan I still had to go through them... and I ended up with letters coming from both companies!

I was very glad to see the back of that loan!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

Has anyone just not bothered to tell them you left the country and not supplied a new address?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

No, i filled out the relevant form to tell them i was leaving last year. It was deferred for a year as i was unemployed at the time. But recently i had a letter that arrived in the UK at my mums saying i need to start paying it back. They were threatening to request a standard payment if i do not fill out an overseas income assessment. I sent the assessment last week and assume will have to start sending payments now. I know the exchange rate will prob not work in my favour. Cant really transfer the loan. I was thinking of sending bulk payments to UK account. But cant really afford to do it that way.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:28 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

No, i filled out the relevant form to tell them i was leaving last year. It was deferred for a year as i was unemployed at the time. But recently i had a letter that arrived in the UK at my mums saying i need to start paying it back. They were threatening to request a standard payment if i do not fill out an overseas income assessment. I sent the assessment last week and assume will have to start sending payments now. I know the exchange rate will prob not work in my favour. Cant really transfer the loan. I was thinking of sending bulk payments to UK account. But cant really afford to do it that way.
If you owe pounds and have Canadian dollars it will work very well in your favour. At the moment you are only having to pay around $1.5 for every £ you owe.

If you owe 10,000 quid this is prob about 15/16,000 dollars.

If the rate gets back to 2, you are talking 20,000 dollars.

This is why I would look to see if you can clear it all now.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by readytomove
Has anyone just not bothered to tell them you left the country and not supplied a new address?
You mean defaulted on their loan?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.
Why not contact the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and have them put it off in deferral to the war debt? Last I heard UK still owed US$22.7m to Canada for bayonets and gas fittings. You owe them - they owe us - s'done deal mate! Slip the clerk a pony if they give you any lip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.