Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Paying back student loan

Paying back student loan

Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying back student loan

Originally Posted by firefox
You can only get an CCJ against someone living in the UK they must have a UK address and be living in the UK.
No you don't, you can apply for permission from the Court to serve them in another jurisdiction, then serve them and then apply for Judgment. See here: Service outside of jurisdiction
Plus in my case my wife lost her job and we only have one income coming in each month no benefit’s here once EI runs out. I know with the low exchange rate I am over the income but all our money goes on keeping the house as it is now each month we have to pay on the credit card to get by

I know it’s a legal contract but when I went to uni I was on disabled benefit and because the student loan was on offer then deducted it of your benefit and that forced you to get the student loan
You don't need to convince me, you need to convince the authority you owe the money to.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Apr 27th 2011 at 1:53 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Colourful answers. Please tell me, what defence would a person who skipped the country without repaying a loan (a legal contract) that they had voluntarily entered into actually have? To be able to set a judgment aside, one must have a defence. Over to you
also look at this web site for more info
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...Account-issues
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

also look at this web site for more info
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...Account-issues
Thank you. The link I provided you with is a link to the actual Rules of Court, not some forum for those that wish to avoid their debts. As someone with experience of enforcing debts all over the world, I believe I know what I am talking about. However, I am happy to be proven wrong. If you have any legal authority to support your stated position that a CCJ can only be obtained against someone living in the UK and having a UK address, please provide it. Failing that, please have the good grace to accept that what I have stated above is correct.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I know it’s a legal contract but when I went to uni I was on disabled benefit and because the student loan was on offer then deducted it of your benefit and that forced you to get the student loan
Bleeding hell, this is as pathetic a tale of scrounging as I've heard for a while.

If I follow correctly, you borrowed the money to go to university even though you didn't have a job and were living on government hand outs. Now, having bettered yourself using the loan money, you've left the country and are not returning the taxpayer's largesse in the form of higher taxes paid. Beyond that, you want to wriggle out of the debt you chose to incur on the ludicrous basis that you weren't creditworthy at the time of taking the loan and so the government shouldn't have given it to you.

You sound like a bum. Did you come here on a questionable refugee claim?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Bleeding hell, this is as pathetic a tale of scrounging as I've heard for a while.

If I follow correctly, you borrowed the money to go to university even though you didn't have a job and were living on government hand outs. Now, having bettered yourself using the loan money, you've left the country and are not returning the taxpayer's largesse in the form of higher taxes paid. Beyond that, you want to wriggle out of the debt you chose to incur on the ludicrous basis that you weren't creditworthy at the time of taking the loan and so the government shouldn't have given it to you.

You sound like a bum. Did you come here on a questionable refugee claim?
thats not what I am saying I paid it back when I was in the UK untill I moved to canada which put me under the income and if the exchange rate was not so low I would still be under the income to pay it back and for your information
i lost my left leg in an acedent and instead of seating at home doing nothing I went to uni and found work after and then moved to canada i worked hard but some times life changes and alters things which you dont plan for
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

also for some more information i worked all my life from 17 to 38 untill i lost my leg
and I served in the army going to NI twice what did you do for your country
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

also for some more information i worked all my life from 17 to 38 untill i lost my leg
and I served in the army going to NI twice what did you do for your country
Nothing. Like most posters here I abandoned it. However, some ways in which I've served the country better than you have are by not taking money from the government and not going to NI. Even once.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Nothing. Like most posters here I abandoned it. However, some ways in which I've served the country better than you have are by not taking money from the government and not going to NI. Even once.
So if you lost your leg like I did you would not go on EI so your family would have no food and you would not be able to pay bills
you talk shit boy
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

So if you lost your leg like I did you would not go on EI so your family would have no food and you would not be able to pay bills
you talk shit boy
I don't think the loss of a leg would make any difference to me professionally.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

I don't think the loss of a leg would make any difference to me professionally.
maybe not you but I was a truck driver and when i lost my leg they took my HGV licence off me so instead of seating at home doing nothing I worked hard going to collage and then university so I could do other work
Old Jun 12th 2011, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

krasy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dthomas
Why not contact the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and have them put it off in deferral to the war debt? Last I heard UK still owed US$22.7m to Canada for bayonets and gas fittings. You owe them - they owe us - s'done deal mate! Slip the clerk a pony if they give you any lip.
LIKE!!