Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which passport to use?

Which passport to use?

Old May 3rd 2014, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which passport to use?

Originally Posted by Shirtback
But were you transiting Dusseldorf, or actually landing there?

(Hint: I transit whichever major EU hub is convenient & cheap on the way to my final - UK - destination. Transit = different/minimal pp control).

I do tend to avoid CDG

To OP: sorry for getting so sidetracked: take both passports.

S

Transiting to Malta... And yes I hate CDG but was kind of forced into it. Here's what happened -

I was sitting on the ground on my Air Malta flight going from Malta to Vienna, where I would connect onward to Toronto, when of course i'm on the ground for 2 hours, Malta International Airport's computer system crashed. So by the time I actually got to Vienna I missed the Vienna-Toronto leg, Air Malta's fault. They put me up in a hotel in Vienna, and the only flight available the next day was Vienna - CDG - Toronto on Air France. So I had to go through EU exit control in CDG - without an EU passport meant I had to go in the international queue, which took almost an hour and I almost missed my flight to Toronto.

Damn exchange students all in line waiting to leave. Of course there was the smart British guy with his UK passport who walked into the EU queue, he was the only one in the queue, quite literally. He ended up sitting on the plane beside me. (Hey, was it any of you? )

Never again, CDG, never again.

On the off topic, waiting in the international queue hopefully won't happen again for me - I got my Maltese citizenship certificate a couple days ago, allowing me to get an EU passport.
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice

Personal preference I would argue. If I am leaving the UK I go out on my UK passport and then use my Canadian passport upon arrival in Canada. Then when leaving Canada, leave on my Canadian, and re-enter the UK with my UK passport.
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter will have 3 passports and I've been told that if she holds a passport of a country that she's entering, she should use that country's passport to enter and exit. Simples.
Old May 5th 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
My daughter will have 3 passports and I've been told that if she holds a passport of a country that she's entering, she should use that country's passport to enter and exit. Simples.
It's not quite that simple I'm afraid. Let's say you have UK & US passports and are flying from the UK to the US. If you don't have an ESTA (or US visa) in your UK passport, then the airline can refuse to let you board the plane. At that point, you'd have to produce your US passport to prove that you are admissible to the US.
Old May 5th 2014, 7:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew74
Or, should i take both passports??

Thanks
What you should do is use a Canadian passport for everything, except the physical border in the UK, where you use your British passport. The reason being at check-in it causes issues, because the Canadian transport regs require you to have evidence you are legally entitled to enter Canada and IATA (who set the rules the check-in staff use) only recognizes passports.

Now, technically speaking you're British and British people can visit without a visa, so it shouldn't be an issue if you don't have a Canadian passport but the check-in people aren't going to give a stuff about a Canadian citizenship certificate for example. The question is going to be why do you have a return ticket to Canada and you're British?
Old May 5th 2014, 7:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If you only want to carry one then take a copy of your Canadian citizenship certificate or citizenship card if you were issued one.
But they won't necessarily recognize that at check-in. CBSA are okay with that, I think the regs are okay with that, but IATA are not okay with that. This is why you have to use a passport at check-in even if you have a NEXUS card. CBP and CBSA are okay with the NEXUS card, but IATA are not.

Last edited by Steve_; May 5th 2014 at 7:45 pm.
Old May 5th 2014, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
What you should do is use a Canadian passport for everything, except the physical border in the UK
This is also good advice. I've been advised to do that before and it seems like a good way to do it. I would use the Cdn pport for everything, except when entering/exiting the Schengen zone passport control, where I would use my Maltese pport.
Old May 5th 2014, 11:51 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I went to the UK I took both passports with me and asked at the Air Canada check-in at Ottawa about whether I could use whichever passports I thought more convenient coming in and out.
They said if you declare both passports at the airline check-in at the start of your journey out (presumably they pass on the info to some authority) then you are free to use both passports for the journey out and back in and no questions asked.
Old May 5th 2014, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Last time I went to the UK I took both passports with me and asked at the Air Canada check-in at Ottawa about whether I could use whichever passports I thought more convenient coming in and out.
They said if you declare both passports at the airline check-in at the start of your journey out (presumably they pass on the info to some authority) then you are free to use both passports for the journey out and back in and no questions asked.
Thanks. This helps... When I go home i'll do this. I was planning on doing it and then further up in the thread someone said no don't declare both!

But I can't see the harm in declaring both to the airline, so i'll do that.
Old May 6th 2014, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The question is going to be why do you have a return ticket to Canada and you're British?
I have never, in nigh on 18 years travelling back and forth on a Brit passport, been asked this question*.

However, I think the consensus is carry both (if one has them) passports, and use them for maximum convenience; failing that, carry proof of citizenship/residence/right to land - if not evident in the passport(s) one is carrying.

(*I have, on arrival in Canada, been asked for evidence of PR or citizenship proof, but that was not the original question )

S
Old May 6th 2014, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx

On the off topic, waiting in the international queue hopefully won't happen again for me - I got my Maltese citizenship certificate a couple days ago, allowing me to get an EU passport.
(OT : CONGRATS !!!! Welcome to the dual/multi citizenship / EU immigration lines club )

S
Old May 6th 2014, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shirtback
(OT : CONGRATS !!!! Welcome to the dual/multi citizenship / EU immigration lines club )

S
Thank-you!!
Old May 6th 2014, 1:05 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Thanks. This helps... When I go home i'll do this. I was planning on doing it and then further up in the thread someone said no don't declare both!

But I can't see the harm in declaring both to the airline, so i'll do that.
But still ask at the check-in, as rules change, especially when dealing with security. They will know what's what for the time you travel, better than the BE peeps.
Old May 6th 2014, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But still ask at the check-in, as rules change, especially when dealing with security. They will know what's what for the time you travel, better than the BE peeps.

Will do
Old May 6th 2014, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The people at the check-in desk won't have any idea. They'll know that, if you're in Canada, and you have a Canadian passport, that's alright because they see that every five minutes. Anything more complicated and you're better off asking the internet.

I use the right passport for the country I'm entering, I find it's quickest. Any number of other arrangements also work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.