Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which passport to use?

Which passport to use?

Old May 11th 2014, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which passport to use?

Originally Posted by jandro
Don't you get quizzed by CBSA on the way back to Canada because you have no UK entry stamp in your passport to prove you traveled there? That's what I'm concerned about so I use my CDN passport only for trips to the UK. I figure it's less hassle on getting back into Canada. For further travel within the Shengen zone I sometimes use my UK passport.

No you don't... Canada and the UK allow dual citizenship so it isn't a problem. Hell, they probably have it in their computer systems that you are also a British citizen... I wouldn't worry about it, use the EU/British lines at Heathrow and save yourself the hassle

Even if a nosy agent does ask, you simply show them the UK passport and you are on your way. Dual nationality is fairly common nowadays, especially in a country of immigrants
Old May 11th 2014, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TanieBird
Not true. As a former Check-in agent for an international airline I can speak from experience. In my case the security screeners the passengers had to get through before getting to me weeded out anyone not carrying the correct documents for their planned travel and I had to know who was able to TWOV (transit without visa) through the US. You could argue it's not really immigration policy we knew, but we could tell you who was and who wasn't allowed to board a plane.
Every time I have checked in for a flight to Canada I have been asked for proof of my right to be going there on the return leg of my ticket and had to show my PR card. When coming back from the Bahamas, the lady in Nassau got confused when I told her I needed both my passport AND PR card to get back into Canada. She was fine knowing I had a valid passport.
Any airline that flies someone without proper documentation will be responsible for repatriating that person in case of deportation, so check in staff and any associated security staff need to be VERY aware of what documentation is needed to prevent them for flying you back on their dime!
Fair enough I don't believe I mentioned transiting via the US, however. On Canada-UK-Canada flights (sometimes transiting via CDG and AMS), I have never been asked for my PR card on the return to Canada sector.

Don't you get quizzed by CBSA on the way back to Canada because you have no UK entry stamp in your passport to prove you traveled there? That's what I'm concerned about so I use my CDN passport only for trips to the UK. I figure it's less hassle on getting back into Canada. For further travel within the Shengen zone I sometimes use my UK passport.
Er, no. The UK hasn't stamped my (British) passport in over 20 years of travelling in and out, from various parts of the world.

S
Old May 11th 2014, 3:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Er, no. The UK hasn't stamped my (British) passport in over 20 years of travelling in and out, from various parts of the world.
I think he is referring to his Canadian passport which would have been stamped had he entered the UK on it.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:13 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are rules that say that if you hold a passport for a given country you have to enter the country on its passport. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the rule.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I think he is referring to his Canadian passport which would have been stamped had he entered the UK on it.
Possibly/probably, but that was not clear (at least to me) from his post I just checked with the last Canadian passport holder with whom I travelled to the UK, and he confirms he did not get an entry stamp ... (regional airport entrance)... He was told, not for the first time, that as UK born & bred, he could apply for a British passport.

I do suspect that this is not normal procedure

S
Old May 11th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I think there are rules that say that if you hold a passport for a given country you have to enter the country on its passport. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the rule.
I'm pretty sure you're right; my ex did the opposite for years, and eventually got hauled up for an income tax audit in both countries. I believe that there is more data sharing than we are publically aware...

S
Old May 11th 2014, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is what Canada advises on an official website

Your Canadian passport
Always use your Canadian passport if possible, especially when entering the country of your second citizenship. Note that you cannot use a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship instead of a Canadian passport to travel abroad. A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document. A Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel. Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present other documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver’s licence or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport, may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies.

Using your Canadian passport may provide the basis under which Canada can provide you with consular assistance if you run into problems. You should also obtain a visa, if that is required for entry by Canadian citizens, and always present yourself as a Canadian when dealing with local authorities.
http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/publi...al-citizenship
Old May 11th 2014, 8:51 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

You are correct. I suspect the CBSA would immediately ask questions on inspecting your CDN passport at POE and finding there is no UK entry stamp. With using UK passport to enter Britain you may get the benefit of a faster EU line at a UK point of entry but there is the potential of CBSA giving you a hard time on your return to Canada.
Old May 11th 2014, 8:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct. I suspect the CBSA would immediately ask questions on inspecting your CDN passport at POE and finding there is no UK entry stamp. With using UK passport to enter Britain you may get the benefit of a faster EU line at a UK point of entry but there is the potential of CBSA giving you a hard time on your return.
Not sure about that - why would CBSA care? If they ask just show the British passport.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:51 am

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure about that - why would CBSA care? If they ask just show the British passport.
Because by default they're expecting to see a stamp in the passport. I've been questioned over lesser matters.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Because by default they're expecting to see a stamp in the passport. I've been questioned over lesser matters.
Like how much cheese are you bringing in
Usually when I ask I don't see any stamp then thats when they produce their UK passport so its not really a big deal.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Your Canadian passport
Always use your Canadian passport if possible, especially when entering the country of your second citizenship. Note that you cannot use a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship instead of a Canadian passport to travel abroad. A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document. A Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel. Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present other documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver’s licence or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport, may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies.

Using your Canadian passport may provide the basis under which Canada can provide you with consular assistance if you run into problems. You should also obtain a visa, if that is required for entry by Canadian citizens, and always present yourself as a Canadian when dealing with local authorities.

Yes its what the gov advises but I personally think that advice is meant for people who hold the second citizenship of a country like Iran. (remember the Dutch-Iranian lady who was beheaded whilst in Iran and the Dutch gov couldn't do anything?)

Someone with Canadian and British citizenship should not follow that advice, but instead use the Canadian passport to enter Canada, and the British one to enter the UK. Why have a second passport if you aren't going to use it? I now have Maltese citizenship. Every time I travel to Europe I will now use a Maltese passport, not the Canadian one, because it makes more sense the Maltese one being an EU one, you can use the faster lines, etc. If the CBSA agent asks on my way back in (hey maybe it will be you, FL) , I show the Maltese passport along with the Canadian passport for the reason why I don't have stamps. Simples. Its not like you are commiting a crime by traveling on your non-Canadian passport. Like I said, Canada allows dual citizenship so it isn't an issue.
Old May 12th 2014, 5:04 am

Like how much cheese are you bringing in
Usually when I ask I don't see any stamp then thats when they produce their UK passport so its not really a big deal.
It's so expensive here though!
Old May 12th 2014, 1:04 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Your Canadian passport

Okay so it might depend on the country then. The USA definitely wants you to be entering the US on your US passport - http://travel.state.gov/content/trav...tionality.html.

You are correct. I suspect the CBSA would immediately ask questions on inspecting your CDN passport at POE and finding there is no UK entry stamp. With using UK passport to enter Britain you may get the benefit of a faster EU line at a UK point of entry but there is the potential of CBSA giving you a hard time on your return to Canada.
As FL said, if asked just produce the other passport. I have a Portuguese and a Canadian passport. When flying between the UK and Canada, I have always used my Canadian passport to enter Canada, and my Portuguese passport to enter the UK. Obviously neither passport is getting stamped on either end. When I enter Canada there's no stamp to show I went to the UK. Further, because I was avoiding tax residency in Canada, I always told the border agent I was VISITING Canada, I was not a Canadian resident. The obvious first conclusion there is that I should have a work visa in my passport, which I do not. I was never asked how I was living in the UK. I'd be admitted to Canada as a non-resident (though no stamp, just filled out that way on my landing card). When going back to the UK I just present my Portuguese passport to the agent and I'm waved on through. Again, no stamp to show I went anywhere else, just let straight in.

I generally always travelled with both passports on me just in case, and always used the one that would give me less hassle at the border. (Canadian passport used to enter the US, Portuguese passport used around the EU, Portuguese passport used when I went to Russia as I needed a work visa and the Portuguese passport was how I was working in the UK, etc).
Old May 12th 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
No - there is no such global rule. Rules differ by country. I hold 4 citizenships - UK, Ireland, Canada and US. I have entered the UK on Canadian and US passports (the UK does not require that its citizens enter on a UK passport). I have entered Canada on UK and US passports (Canada does not require that its citizens enter on a Canadian passport). However, by US law, I must enter the US using my US passport (the US expects that US citizens will enter/leave the US using a US passport).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.