Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which passport to use?

Which passport to use?

Old May 3rd 2014, 12:32 pm
AD74

Andrew74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which passport to use?

I recently got my Canadian citizenship and obtained my passport.

In a few days I am heading home to England for a week holiday. I am going to use my British passport to go back as it just makes sense (including the fact i don't have to wait in the long queue of people on international passports). When i come back to Canada, i will only have my British passport with me.

Will this cause any issues with Canadian customs at the airport when i return as I used to of course have my PR card to accompany it? Does Canadian custom see even though i am using my British passport that i am a Canadian citizen too?

Or, should i take both passports??

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which passport to use?

As a Canadian citizen, especially one living in Canada, you should use a Canadian passport to enter Canada.
If you are naturalised Canadian, I thought they normally take your PR Card when you become a citizen. Or has that changed?
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:38 pm
AD74

Andrew74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
As a Canadian citizen, especially one living in Canada, you should use a Canadian passport to enter Canada.
If you are naturalised Canadian, I thought they normally take your PR Card when you become a citizen. Or has that changed?
Yes the PR card was taken so only have my British and Canadian passports now.
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You are entitled to hold 2 x passports so use the UK one to enter the UK and the Canadian one to enter Canada. If you only want to carry one then take a copy of your Canadian citizenship certificate or citizenship card if you were issued one.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I take both when travelling to the UK. Use British one to enter UK and the Canadian one when returning to Canada.
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same situation - on the way out I will travel on my British passport and on the way back I will use my Canadian one
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said - Use the UK one when leaving Canada and the Canadian one when returning. Just make sure to show CBSA agents the Canadian passport, always and the UKBA the UK passport, always . And if possible, make the airline aware of both passports when checking in for flights.
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Present British passport on entering UK. Canadian one on entering Canada.

And if possible, make the airline aware of both passports when checking in for flights.
^^ Totally unnecessary, & none of the airline's business. *If* asked, one would naturally provided both, and/or other citizenship documents (although an airline doesn't need this information, unless you have been flagged for whatever reason). And, obviously, if asked by CBSA, or UKBA, one would volunteer both passports, and/or other citizenship documents.

I have just reread OP, I don't understand how/why one would "only have British passport" on return to Canada?

S

Last edited by Shirtback; May 3rd 2014 at 6:53 pm.
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Present British passport on entering UK. Canadian one on entering Canada.

^^ Totally unnecessary, & none of the airline's business. *If* asked, one would naturally provided both (although an airline doesn't need this information, unless you have been flagged for whatever reason). And, obviously, if asked by CBSA, or UKBA, one would volunteer both passports.

I have just reread OP, I don't understand how/why one would "only have British passport" on return to Canada?

S
He was implying he was only going to take the UK pport, but obviously its better to take the Cdn pport with. And no you would definitely not give both passports to a border agent unless this very specific conversation happens - no need to create complications when border protection agents are involved!

BA: "Do you have another passport?"
You: "Yes"
BA: "May I see it?"
I actually received the advice of registering both pports with the airline from this forum. Whatever works, as long as no one asks too many questions and you enter the UK as a UK citizen and Canada as a Canadian citizen.

Last edited by Gozit; May 3rd 2014 at 6:26 pm. Reason: post got garbled
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

go to whatever line is shortest?
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by haggis88
go to whatever line is shortest?
Yep. And even if you use the shorter, non-EU line, present the UK passport anyways
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Yep. And even if you use the shorter, non-EU line, present the UK passport anyways
Yep. Note that, depending on which airport one arrives at, there may not be separate lines

(Before I get piled-on, some of us are lucky/canny enough to NOT land at/transit International airports when arriving in the UK If I could fly in/out of a regional airport in CA, I would )

S
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Yep. Note that, depending on which airport one arrives at, there may not be separate lines

(Before I get piled-on, some of us are lucky/canny enough to NOT land at/transit International airports when arriving in the UK If I could fly in/out of a regional airport in CA, I would )

S
Mm yes. Dusseldorf airport in Germany is like that. It is "international" because I arrived there on a flight from Toronto, but it is smaller, and there wasn't a separate passport line. Paris Charles De Gaulle on the other hand...............
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

He was implying he was only going to take the UK pport, ..
Well, *if* so, it's a no-brainer to carry proof of Canadian citizenship with him

S

Last edited by Shirtback; May 3rd 2014 at 6:54 pm. Reason: Spelling:(
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mm yes. Dusseldorf airport in Germany is like that. It is "international" because I arrived there on a flight from Toronto, but it is smaller, and there wasn't a separate passport line. Paris Charles De Gaulle on the other hand...............
But were you transiting Dusseldorf, or actually landing there?

(Hint: I transit whichever major EU hub is convenient & cheap on the way to my final - UK - destination. Transit = different/minimal pp control).

I do tend to avoid CDG

To OP: sorry for getting so sidetracked: take both passports.

S

Last edited by Shirtback; May 3rd 2014 at 7:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.