Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passed the Electrical Red Seal Hooray!

Passed the Electrical Red Seal Hooray!

Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all
Default Re: Passed the Electrical Red Seal Hooray!

Originally Posted by Airborne Spark
Myself and Amardan's Husband both have come over with Sitie Canada working in the Oil sands. Under our TWP the company had to train us a put us through the Red seal exam, twice if needed within the first 6 months, then our visa would be extended.

I know Amardan's OH came out very late in the contract and wasn't given the training but he obviously put the time in and stayed away from the bar and flew through.

If this way is not an option, I did consider taking the exam in BC as we are bound for Vancouver Island. I used my friends address and then when I had completed all the forms, which I downloaded, sent them back and all was left was to arrange a test date, my current job stopped that route. The only problem I can see with this is you have had no training also you would need a copy of the Code book weeks in advance of the test so you can read it cover to cover.

Contact the province training board, www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca in Alberta.

There are few helpful sites like the Learning pit and Exam bank. I know there have been previous threads on the subject.

I found myself this was a perfect way for me to pass with the teaching(Not great) and the actual hands on experience and being able to question Canadian sparks on certain points.

Well good luck, I know most company's in the oilsands will be manning up in the next few months for the next major projects. If you get in early enough there will be training available.

As soon as hear who's recruiting I will post details.

Regards

Dave
Thanks for that Dave. I am actually a carpenter (For the last 20 Years, I originally qualified as a motor mechanic) I have had to do the retrospective NVQ route here, I have level three but I don't know if it counts for anything over there? We are also hoping to get to Vancouver Island, seems ideal there.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Many congratulations to your OH, Amardan.

As to your question, please see the nine Wiki articles on Calgary, including Calgary Residential Areas and Calgary Schooling.

There is a debate about schools going on in the thread called FFCA School in calgary Good Or Bad, and I don't feel like getting drawn in again.

I've lived in Calgary for 27 years, and what I have to say on the topic is contained in the nine Wiki articles that I wrote about this city.
x
Hi Judy

Thanks for the advice I will have a look at your Wiki articles. I feel it is always best to go and have a look at areas and schools within the area and then make an informed decision as everybody is different and wants different things. It is just hard when you are based in the UK and plan to move Calgary not even seeing it. So we plan to go over in the Summer for a reccie. Whilst looking on the website I did notice that some of the schools in certain areas are catholic schools and wondered if there were any other options other than catholic?

Amardan
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by deenailz
congratulations my hubby has to do it when we go over next time , i hope to god he passes , lol xxx
Wish him the best of luck
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Airborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Dave

It might be good if someone with expirence could post on the working / living conditions on the oil sands projects to give some perspective to UK sparkies looking to move to the wild west of Canada.

Thomas
Thomas,

Probably a good idea as most of us came out here blind.

I will start with the living conditions. It is a purpose built camp with each lodge holding up to 2500 workers, each wing has 3 floors 50 rooms per floor, the room is basic 6ft x10ft bed, TV, phone and internet connection(some wireless). There is a communal toilet area for each floor about 10 showers. Laundry room on each floor.
There are several common rooms with a TV and easy chairs. Two games room with pool tables and table tennis, also with tea and coffee making. A gym with a few cardio machines and weight machines, often the machines are out of order though.
We have a basic shop, which also sells the Canadian drug of choice Tim Horton coffee.
The canteen is large so queues are not that long, the food isn't the best in the world but it is bearable and plenty of it.
Last of all there is the bar, the sausage fest as one Canadian commented(no idea what he means).
On this site they have an ice rink at one of the lodges.

Other lodges on camp are slightly worse, conditions are bad there in the winter as they live in trailers and need to go out side to get to the canteen and gym.

Next you need to know is the weather conditions. Winter is long and is twice as cold as your freezer, below -50c with wind chill, Snow storms as well. I cant explain how cold it is but I had about 7 layers on and was still cold to the bone, Ice forming on my face. When it gets really cold you get sent back to camp without pay.
The other season here is Summer. Up to +40c really dry and dusty and you are infested with mozzie's and other flying devils.

Work hours, on site by 07:00 hrs, we are bused from camp, finish at 17:30 hrs. Two 15 min tea breaks and half an hour for lunch.
The main trades on site are Electricians, Pipefitters, welders, scaffolders and Ironworkers, there are other trades such as Carpenters and insulators.

There are several work rotations, europeans are 6 days on 1 off for 8 weeks then 2 weeks off, Albertan's 10 days on 4 off, the rest of Canada are 20 days on 8 off.

Pay varies for each trade, Electrician is $35/hr basic with bonuses and allowances this can raise to $40.

This information is for the site I am on, other camp facilities are a lot worse some are better, wages are basically the same through out the area.
I have just went for another job up here and they are suggesting 6 months on 1 off, prisoners get better than that.

I hope this gives you all an idea what its like, sorry I never explained the winter well enough but come and try it once just for the experience.

You may ask why, firstly work and secondly to get my Red seal and thirdly to push the immigration on. Two down one to go.

Dave