Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passed the Electrical Red Seal Hooray!

Passed the Electrical Red Seal Hooray!

Old Jun 13th 2008, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future
Default Passed the Electrical Red Seal Hooray!

Hi everybody

We are so excited and wanted to share with you that my husband has passed the Red Seal 1st time. His comittment and hard study paid off as the company he worked for was only a 2 months contract and he only had 4 weeks to revise and write the exam with no training whatsoever. All self study. So any electricians out there who wish to do this. Just to let you know it can be done.

He has now been offered a permanent position in Calgary. Just have one question as we have 2 children ages 11yrs and 10yrs where would be the best place to live and schools etc. Any advice on this would be most welcome.

Regards

Amardan
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Passed the Electrical Red Seal Hooray!

Originally Posted by amardan
Hi everybody

We are so excited and wanted to share with you that my husband has passed the Red Seal 1st time. His comittment and hard study paid off as the company he worked for was only a 2 months contract and he only had 4 weeks to revise and write the exam with no training whatsoever. All self study. So any electricians out there who wish to do this. Just to let you know it can be done.

He has now been offered a permanent position in Calgary. Just have one question as we have 2 children ages 11yrs and 10yrs where would be the best place to live and schools etc. Any advice on this would be most welcome.

Regards

Amardan
Hi, can't offer any advice I'm afraid but just wanted to say congratulations to you OH - well done.
Steve
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Airborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant future

Hi everybody

Regards

Amardan
Well done, not as easy as some guy's think, its definitely not the 16th edition.

My wife's sister lives in Cochrane, very nice but a little bit Stepford for me.

Regards
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:53 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and very well done
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Just to say well done to OH, must of taken some doing.

We are heading for Okotoks about 20-25 minutes outside Calgary. Lake community, very nice area and schools are all good. Have a look see what you think.

All the best,
Carl
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:09 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Many congratulations to your OH, Amardan.

As to your question, please see the nine Wiki articles on Calgary, including Calgary Residential Areas and Calgary Schooling.

There is a debate about schools going on in the thread called FFCA School in calgary Good Or Bad, and I don't feel like getting drawn in again.

I've lived in Calgary for 27 years, and what I have to say on the topic is contained in the nine Wiki articles that I wrote about this city.
x
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Amardan

Fabulous news, I've sent PM.

Judy's advice rules so its time for you to do the revision now.

Best of luck
Thomas
Old Jun 14th 2008, 4:34 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Another congrats to you guys from the both me and Mr MMC. Its hard work and you both deserve a pat on the back for getting through it.

A first time pass!!!!! Way to go
Old Jun 14th 2008, 7:17 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats, but it does sound painful.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Big Stevo
Hi, can't offer any advice I'm afraid but just wanted to say congratulations to you OH - well done.
Steve
Thanks it is a real load off our minds as it has appeared to have opened up doors as employers are interested in us at last. What about you? are you near to living the canadian dream?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:40 am
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

congratulations my hubby has to do it when we go over next time , i hope to god he passes , lol xxx
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Hi everybody

Regards

Amardan
Thats great news. Can I ask how you applied? I have e-mailed questions to the RedSeal site about taking exams from outside the country, but had no replies!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Airborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sjt53
Thats great news. Can I ask how you applied? I have e-mailed questions to the RedSeal site about taking exams from outside the country, but had no replies!
Myself and Amardan's Husband both have come over with Sitie Canada working in the Oil sands. Under our TWP the company had to train us a put us through the Red seal exam, twice if needed within the first 6 months, then our visa would be extended.

I know Amardan's OH came out very late in the contract and wasn't given the training but he obviously put the time in and stayed away from the bar and flew through.

If this way is not an option, I did consider taking the exam in BC as we are bound for Vancouver Island. I used my friends address and then when I had completed all the forms, which I downloaded, sent them back and all was left was to arrange a test date, my current job stopped that route. The only problem I can see with this is you have had no training also you would need a copy of the Code book weeks in advance of the test so you can read it cover to cover.

Contact the province training board, www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca in Alberta.

There are few helpful sites like the Learning pit and Exam bank. I know there have been previous threads on the subject.

I found myself this was a perfect way for me to pass with the teaching(Not great) and the actual hands on experience and being able to question Canadian sparks on certain points.

Well good luck, I know most company's in the oilsands will be manning up in the next few months for the next major projects. If you get in early enough there will be training available.

As soon as hear who's recruiting I will post details.

Regards

Dave
Old Jun 15th 2008, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Airborne Spark
Myself and Amardan's Husband both have come over with Sitie Canada working in the Oil sands. Under our TWP the company had to train us a put us through the Red seal exam, twice if needed within the first 6 months, then our visa would be extended.

I know Amardan's OH came out very late in the contract and wasn't given the training but he obviously put the time in and stayed away from the bar and flew through.

If this way is not an option, I did consider taking the exam in BC as we are bound for Vancouver Island. I used my friends address and then when I had completed all the forms, which I downloaded, sent them back and all was left was to arrange a test date, my current job stopped that route. The only problem I can see with this is you have had no training also you would need a copy of the Code book weeks in advance of the test so you can read it cover to cover.

Contact the province training board, www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca in Alberta.

There are few helpful sites like the Learning pit and Exam bank. I know there have been previous threads on the subject.

I found myself this was a perfect way for me to pass with the teaching(Not great) and the actual hands on experience and being able to question Canadian sparks on certain points.

Well good luck, I know most company's in the oilsands will be manning up in the next few months for the next major projects. If you get in early enough there will be training available.

As soon as hear who's recruiting I will post details.

Regards

Dave
Dave

It might be good if someone with expirence could post on the working / living conditions on the oil sands projects to give some perspective to UK sparkies looking to move to the wild west of Canada.

Thomas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.