Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Emergency British Passports - Toronto

Emergency British Passports - Toronto

Old May 27th 2008, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emergency British Passports - Toronto

Hi - please can somebody tell me if they know - can you get a same-day passport issue from the British Consulate in Toronto? Their website doesn't tell you.

Family emergency and I may need to go home asap...but my passport has expired.

Thanks in advance (and apologies to Mods for posting this in two forums - I wanted the quickest answer).
Old May 27th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency British Passports - Toronto

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Hi - please can somebody tell me if they know - can you get a same-day passport issue from the British Consulate in Toronto? Their website doesn't tell you.

Family emergency and I may need to go home asap...but my passport has expired.

Thanks in advance (and apologies to Mods for posting this in two forums - I wanted the quickest answer).
I'm pretty sure you have to get them from the High Commission in Ottawa but I don't know how quickly they can do them in an emergency, hopefully someone else knows. Good Luck.
Old May 27th 2008, 11:08 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I believe its 48hr turnaround IF YOU GO THERE IN PERSON.
Old May 27th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I believe its 48hr turnaround IF YOU GO THERE IN PERSON.
Cheers.

As in drop off docs then pick up passport?
Old May 27th 2008, 11:51 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

The Lost or Stolen Passport page of the website of the British High Commission in Ottawa states:
If you are a visitor to Canada or you have urgent travel commitments you should contact your nearest Consulate for advice.
Here is the list of British consulates in Canada.

Now admittedly that was in the context of lost or stolen passports, but I assume the same people can suggest the best remedy for your current situation.
x
Old May 28th 2008, 6:07 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Im pretty sure you will be able to get the same day passport renewal, however at short notice it may only be the 12 month one.

I had to fly from Calgary to Vancouver last year at short notice to renew mine as it had just run out. We were able to drop it off in the morn and pick it up a few hours later. We also had a lovely lady on the phone a few days prior helping us out with exactly what we needed to take with us and some things we faxed beforehand.

Another thing is we had to provide some proof of why we needed it at such short notice. Luckily my hubby was able to keep his head together for me and sorted it all out with regards to getting the funeral directors to fax the certificate direct to the consulate.

Hope it helps and you find someone over the phone at the consulate to help you at this worrying time.

Take care mrs minihaha
Old May 28th 2008, 10:55 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
The Lost or Stolen Passport page of the website of the British High Commission in Ottawa states:
If you are a visitor to Canada or you have urgent travel commitments you should contact your nearest Consulate for advice.
Here is the list of British consulates in Canada.

Now admittedly that was in the context of lost or stolen passports, but I assume the same people can suggest the best remedy for your current situation.
x
I rang the British Consulate in St John's a couple of years ago when I lost my passport and wanted to fly home. His response was along the lines of 'once upon a time I could have helped you out but with security checks etc these days there's nothing I can do. Your only option is to physically go to the High Commission in Ottawa.'

I renewed my passport in the normal manner through the British High Commission. The 3 weeks or so I didn't have one were fairly nervewracking. Fortunately I had no need to travel back to UK during that period but the feeling of not being able to if I needed to was not pleasant!
Old May 28th 2008, 12:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The 3 weeks or so I didn't have one were fairly nervewracking. Fortunately I had no need to travel back to UK during that period but the feeling of not being able to if I needed to was not pleasant!
This was one of (the main) reasons I took out Canadian citizenship a while back.
Old May 28th 2008, 12:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This was one of (the main) reasons I took out Canadian citizenship a while back.
Yes. Not an option for me until recently. Which reminds me, I must get my application sent off!
Old May 29th 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well - this is infuriating.

The consulate in Toronto has a recorded message telling you that passports are dealt with by Ottawa.

You call Ottawa High Comission and they put you through to passports which is another recorded message telling you to call their "premium rate" ($2.80/min.!!!) helpline...so you call it and the number is wrong!

Furthermore - like somebody else says here, it looks like I'll need documentary evidence of why I need to go home quickly.

Well to cut a long story short, my brother's just tried to top himself. So he's not dead and he's recovering from his injuries so likely to be out of hospital in a matter of days so he's not really physically ill - I just want to be there to offer some support.

This is so frustrating.

Looks like I'll have to wait at least 3 weeks.
Old May 29th 2008, 6:56 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr Lee.....I'm sorry to hear your news.
I had a scout about myself for any relevant info, but as others have said, it's going to be the High Commission folks that can give you a definitive answer.
I did, however, come across mention of an 'emergency travel document' which they may issue in special circumstances when your passport is lost, stolen or otherwise unavailable to you. You may as well ask about it & see that they can do?
Best of luck.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

The High Comission are hard to speak to it seems. I just keep getting put through to recorded messages.

OH has suggested going down to the consulate in Toronto tomorrow and seeing what they can do there so that's my next plan.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

The High Comission are hard to speak to it seems. I just keep getting put through to recorded messages.

OH has suggested going down to the consulate in Toronto tomorrow and seeing what they can do there so that's my next plan.

Sounds like a good plan, I hope you get to speak to someone helpful face to face. Good luck.
Old May 29th 2008, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read all the replies in the different threads - but the emergency numbers for the High Commission in Ottawa are here:-

Tel.: 613 237 1303
613 237 1303 (emergency line only)

After hours/Emergency
Tel: 613 239 4288

I don't know if they will think it's an emergency, but if you're having trouble reaching a human at anything other than 2.50GBP a minute, it might be worth a try.
Old May 29th 2008, 11:31 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Something to think about, and probably to ask the consulate...

As a British citizen, you don't actually require a valid passport to enter the UK. You might experience a delay, for sure, but the UK won't turn you away.

Finding an airline that'll accept you with only an expired passport is another matter. Is that even possible these days? Would the answer to that question change if the consulate asked nicely on your behalf?

Once you're in the UK, you could use the fast-track or same-day service to get a new passport before you fly back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.