Our NS holiday!!!

Our NS holiday!!!

Old May 11th 2009, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Welsh Tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Our NS holiday!!!

Originally Posted by rockspie
[F]LOVED IT ----- LOVED IT ---- LOVED IT ------ LOVED IT[/FONT]

Well it wasnt so much as a recce as just having a look round to see if it is somewhere we would move
Glad you liked it. Were coming over in July. Not sure yet as to which of the maritimes or Newfoundland to move to, so we are coming to visit them all (watch those km go around on the clock). Always good to hear of places worth visiting.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:07 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rockspie
[F]LOVED IT ----- LOVED IT ---- LOVED IT ------ LOVED IT[/FONT]

Well it wasnt so much as a recce as just having a look round to see if it is somewhere we would move to after previously wantin to move to BC!! Yes i definatley would live there.

Flew out with Air Transat, Excellent service, I cannot fault them. As we were a group of 5 with a baby (so 6) The air steward (without us knowing) asked a couple to move, moved the woman sat next to us into a 2 seat with someone from her party and then said to us that we would need the extra room with a baby so basically gave us a spare seat!!

On arrival at NS, It was red hot, 27 degrees i think.

Our self contained accommodation was gorgeous and comes highly recomended (pm me for details), The kids loved seeing the Deer wandering around the garden!

We basically spent the 9 days exploring, I think we did 2500 Km in the car by the time we returned it.

We visited Peggys cove, New Glasgow (loved it), Truro (werent sure on 1st impressions but 2nd time liked it) Arisaig (gorgeous & exactly like its scottish namesake) Had a drive to Tatamagouche via Wentworth?, Wolfville (loved this town) Digby/Long Island to see the "Balancing rock" remote but gorgeous setting, Had a look around the Leisure days RV centre, just because lol. Pottered about Halifax and surrounding areas & saw the Titanic graves. Did other stuff as well!

We had dinner one night at The Taj Mahal in Halifax, I can reccomend that as well, It wasnt any better or worse than our local indian just different.

We met with a woman from the "Department of Labour & workforce" regarding DHs work get certified in NS, She wasnt sure so went out of her way to find out the Society website (even tho id already been on it) and also gave us the contact details of a woman who she thinks could help and also emailed her herself as a double hit!!

The roads are a bit cr*p though & we couldnt get over the fact there was no traffic on the roads, Our meeting was at 9am in Halifax so we allowed an extra 30 minutees to get there which we didnt need as there was no traffic (in a capital city at rush hour time, unles rush hour was earlier or later) I did have a scary moment driving home from Halifax at 10 pm, Happily heading down the highway when from nowhere the fog came like a brick wall, i couldnt see a thing it was awful, I couldnt even pull over for DH to drive as it was his turn to drink so couldnt!!!!!

All in all Nova Scotia is a very nice place and i could happily live there, So we`ll see what happens next!

Soz for the boring post lol
Great post. It reminded me of some of the things I now take for granted. Yes - the rush-hour traffic! To be honest you'll find its busy earlier - people are trying to get into work nearer to 8am than 9am but even then the roads are pretty quiet.

The roads here remind me of a safari in Africa. The other day I narrowly missed a pothole big enough to hide my car in. But in a way I find it preferable that they dont maintain the roads at all than everywhere constantly being clogged with roadworks (like in the UK). You can maintain roads too much if you ask me - to the extent that you cant even drive on them for orange cones.
Old May 12th 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

Yes I remember a trip to Kenya driving at night, what fun dodging the barbed planks of wood stopping you falling into the pot holes

I agree, its a fine line between road maintenence and taking the fun out of driving.
Old May 15th 2009, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

rockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your replies. We have just returned from Butlins today, (got back from NS last friday then went to Butlins on Monday) And what a contrast, Hmmmmmmmmmmm Nova Scotia or Butlins LOL, This week has made me miss NS even more lol.

Hobbitess - Will PM you regarding accomodation as dont know wether i can put it on here
Old May 16th 2009, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

Cheers Rockspie got the PM.
Old May 23rd 2009, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

254 has a spectacular aura about254 has a spectacular aura about254 has a spectacular aura about

Glad you had a super time.

We spent 2 weeks in NS over Easter - similar sort of trip to yours; not a full-out recce, but more of a 'is this going to be the place for us?' as we'd previously been looking at Vancouver (spent a month there last summer and 3 weeks in 2006, and loved it... but just not sure we could afford to live there).

We loved NS too... and yes, the roads are SO empty compared to here. After landing at Heathrow we drove home on the M25 then M1 - couldn't get over how different the experience was to the driving we'd done in NS just a few hours before. Our favourite place was Annapolis Royal, but I think we'll be aiming for Halifax due to jobs!