Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ottawa-forget it!!!

Ottawa-forget it!!!

Old Jul 26th 2003, 12:44 pm
english speakin

Default Ottawa-forget it!!!

Just so those people who are thinking of coming to Ottawa are aware, don't bother!!

Unless you are in a minority, bilingual and female, you have no hope of getting a job. If you are in High Tech- look elsewhere, there are over 20,000 unemployed in Ottawa alone!

I am a female, English born and bred and its taken me 18 months to find a job, my husband cannot get anything!

The French who are in the minority in Canada are doing their usual thing and spoiling it for everyone else by making demands and not sticking to their promises.

Most people here in Ottawa are fed up to the back teeth with Quebec, there is a storm building in Canada and Quebec will get their wish next time they want to separate, if Alberta has'nt already done it first!

Healthcare- MRI 9 months waiting list! A guy who had a brain tumour was told- his company paid for his MRI and his tumour was 1cm, he had treatment and is ok, but 9 months later the hospital contacted him re his MRI( he could have one there now!!)and if he had left it until then his tumour would have been 3cm. A friend of ours wife went to Ottawa hospital for a hysterectomy and was still suffering from pain past the time she should have. She went to Hawaii to visit friends and they referred her to their doctor, who sent her to the hospital the same day for an MRI- she had another op and they said she had basically been butchered, luckily she is now fine!

Canada is a beautiful country and its such a shame they spend most of their time taxing the living daylights out of you- the hydro costs are horrendous, gas prices change daily, the wages are bad,take the Government away and put a decent one in and things will probably change for the better.

We are looking to move to another part of Canada because we don't want to judge it on Ottawa alone, but just so you don't make the same expensive mistake that we did, we wanted to let you know how things really are! Thanks

Old Jul 26th 2003, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ottawa-forget it!!!

Originally posted by english speakin
Just so those people who are thinking of coming to Ottawa are aware, don't bother!!

Unless you are in a minority, bilingual and female, you have no hope of getting a job. If you are in High Tech- look elsewhere, there are over 20,000 unemployed in Ottawa alone!

I am a female, English born and bred and its taken me 18 months to find a job, my husband cannot get anything!

The French who are in the minority in Canada are doing their usual thing and spoiling it for everyone else by making demands and not sticking to their promises.

Most people here in Ottawa are fed up to the back teeth with Quebec, there is a storm building in Canada and Quebec will get their wish next time they want to separate, if Alberta has'nt already done it first!

Healthcare- MRI 9 months waiting list! A guy who had a brain tumour was told- his company paid for his MRI and his tumour was 1cm, he had treatment and is ok, but 9 months later the hospital contacted him re his MRI( he could have one there now!!)and if he had left it until then his tumour would have been 3cm. A friend of ours wife went to Ottawa hospital for a hysterectomy and was still suffering from pain past the time she should have. She went to Hawaii to visit friends and they referred her to their doctor, who sent her to the hospital the same day for an MRI- she had another op and they said she had basically been butchered, luckily she is now fine!

Canada is a beautiful country and its such a shame they spend most of their time taxing the living daylights out of you- the hydro costs are horrendous, gas prices change daily, the wages are bad,take the Government away and put a decent one in and things will probably change for the better.

We are looking to move to another part of Canada because we don't want to judge it on Ottawa alone, but just so you don't make the same expensive mistake that we did, we wanted to let you know how things really are! Thanks
Know how you feel. Have a look at my sorry experiences in the following thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=161363

Hope things improve for you, but judging from the number of horror stories I've heard, I fear prospects are not good for anyone who doesn't fit the profile.

Good luck anyway.
Discouraged.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should say this! I was just chatting with a friend today. His daughter is Canadian, her husband is a Kiwi. He came here a couple of years ago and took the physiotherapy exam for Sask - he qualified in NZ. Then they wanted to come back to Canada but they wanted to go to BC.

All of Canada is crying out for qualified physiotherapists so far as I know and he had to jump through a load of hoops to get here.

My friend said that if he was from a third world country, couldn't speak English and had no skills - or better still if he was a terrorist - they would have welcomed him with open arms.

I don't get it. I can understand a lawyer having to take the Saskatchewan Statute exam if they move from Alberta, but surely physiotherapy is the same if you are in Sask, BC or whereever!!