Reload this Page >

Moving to Barrie

Moving to Barrie

Old Jul 25th 2003, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Location: Northampton UK, planning to move to Barrie, Ontario, Ca
donbelgum is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Barrie

My wife and I are both active Seniors, in our mid-sixties, and hope to move to the Barrie area sometime in the next 12 months, sponsored by our son.
What sort of activities are there for Seniors? I am interested in Photography and singing and also work as a volunteer in a Hospice, getting involved in just about everything non-medical.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Hi,

If you are interested in things like Photography, then look at the local school board website. In Toronto, the district school board organises adult education classes, which attract a lot of seniors, there are many subjects to choose from (Photography, French, woodwork, cooking, walking, IT). I am sure they must run similar programs in Barrie.

As far as volunteering, I'm sure there are many places that would love to have your help. I was looking at volunteering for habitat for humanity.......just search the web or look in the local newspaper!

Good luck with your move!!
Int.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I think you will like Barrie. I live in Newmarket which is about half way between Toronto and Barrie.

Barrie is a small city so you get all the convieniences and faciilities you'd expect from a city but less of the overcrowding and so forth of a metropolis like Toronto. It is right on lake Simcoe so it is great for things like walking and sailing and all that kinda stuff. A short drive from Georgian Bay and things slightly north which would give you fantastic settings for photography etc.

It's got nice older areas too and I should imagine being on the lake it's a popular place for seniors who want a city but more peace and quiet than Toronto etc.

Drew