Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Ontario Election.

The Ontario Election.

Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ontario Election.

Have a look at the Exeter weather radar:

http://weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WSO

Good day for turbines at GA. I'd leave the office early today if I were you.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Have a look at the Exeter weather radar:

http://weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WSO

Good day for turbines at GA. I'd leave the office early today if I were you.
The OH reports fallen trees and early closing of the museum. It could be an exciting drive.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The OH reports fallen trees and early closing of the museum. It could be an exciting drive.
Good luck then. Hope to hear from you later.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck then. Hope to hear from you later.
Thanks. It'll be much later. I'm to fetch things on the way.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:03 am
Born again atheist

Thanks. It'll be much later. I'm to fetch things on the way.
It's a dog's life in the sticks.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Thus far it seems to be all about religion in schools. McGuinty wants to retain a two tier system with affirmitive action for Catholics, Tory wants to fund the teaching of Creationism. I feel as if I just got off the Mayflower.

Anyone here see any reason to vote for either of these clowns or indeed anyone else?
Um, don't deal with politics, live in the country.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

It's a dog's life in the sticks.
Well I made it, via Costco and the LCBO. The wind is fierce and it's raining slightly. Very many leaves are down so Autumn's glory may have been last week. I had the top down on the car and cold rain slashed into my face. I shivered a little. "My" I thought "I haven't been sailing for yonks" so I phoned and arranged to join a race next week. Volunteer crew are always welcome in September.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:31 am
Born again atheist

Well I made it, via Costco and the LCBO. The wind is fierce and it's raining slightly. Very many leaves are down so Autumn's glory may have been last week. I had the top down on the car and cold rain slashed into my face. I shivered a little. "My" I thought "I haven't been sailing for yonks" so I phoned and arranged to join a race next week. Volunteer crew are always welcome in September.
Good that you made it. I hope that last sentence wasn't an invitation to join you, because if it was I may have to leave the country for a while.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

Good that you made it. I hope that last sentence wasn't an invitation to join you, because if it was I may have to leave the country for a while.
I'm sure I could arrange for any willing person to get cold, tired and wet. It's exciting, there's a risk of drowning and of poisoning.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:30 pm
Born again atheist

I'm sure I could arrange for any willing person to get cold, tired and wet. It's exciting, there's a risk of drowning and of poisoning.
Right. It's the willing person bit which might be tricky. Pity AX is away. He's used to being cold, tired and wet.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:00 am
Born again atheist

Yes, Dalton's no George Galloway. The answer to your question though is in your own post "if..it was at all likely to wash with the electorate".

This issue is not of McGuinty's making... why should he take a big political gamble at this juncture just because John Tory sees a possible issue which will win him votes (he thinks).
Not like me to say I told you so, , but interesting isn't it how this has turned out? Tory has completely lost any credibility he might once have had and showed that he has absolutely no claim on leadership to boot. What a f*** up.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered if he'd been coached to sound like someone who was putting his best effort into saying something he didn't believe while actually believing it all along. If he didn't believe in a two-tier system he could have demonstrated that by sending his children to an ordinary school rather than a Catholic one.
Newfoundland and Labrador did away with segregated schooling about 10 years ago.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JAJ
Newfoundland and Labrador did away with segregated schooling about 10 years ago.

Also Quebec. So what?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Also Quebec. So what?
So it ought not to be impossible to integrate Ontario schools, if there was a real will to do so.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:46 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JAJ
So it ought not to be impossible to integrate Ontario schools, if there was a real will to do so.
You're missing the point. Obviously the idea of getting rid of the Catholic separate school system, funded as it is by the Ontario tax payer, has overwhelming merit.

John Tory, conveniently the leader of the Tory Party here, (I wonder if there's a Liberace in the wings of the Liberal Party?) thought he could garner votes from the Jewish/Islamic/fundie Christian/tin foil hat brigade, who are well enough off and/or frothy enough, to spend $20k a year+ inculcating their offspring in their idiosyncrasities.

This proved to be wrong. Instead, the reasonably sensible idea that in a multicultural society, such as Ontario, the consequence of providing incentives (funding) to splinter nutjobs, is really, really silly, prevails.

Hopefully, the next (Liberal) government will see that 70% of the electorate would prefer to have the Catholic nutjobs merged with regular School Boards too, (thereby saving a great deal of duplication and dollars).

I might contest the next election myself on this point.

Edit: I'm not suggesting that Muslims or Jewish folk are nutjobs, just that if they insist on "faith based" education for their kiddies, then that's their choice. Don't expect us to pay for it. Education is secular. The other stuff is their business.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 3rd 2007 at 3:57 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.