British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   The Ontario Election. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ontario-election-479600/)

dbd33 Sep 6th 2007 11:44 pm

The Ontario Election.

Thus far it seems to be all about religion in schools. McGuinty wants to retain a two tier system with affirmitive action for Catholics, Tory wants to fund the teaching of Creationism. I feel as if I just got off the Mayflower.

Anyone here see any reason to vote for either of these clowns or indeed anyone else?

iaink Sep 7th 2007 12:57 am

Re: The Ontario Election.

Based on the campaigning Ive seen we have;

• Silence from the Liberals...really, what has pointy head been doing since winning power and realising he had to break his tax promise? Since then he has kept an incredibly low profile
  • Tories ads that just criticise the Libs for broken promises, but not actually telling us what they would do different. Not even a hint of a policy, which scares me..seems like they want to keep their agenda hidden.

I hate negative campaigning with a passion, so the Tories wont get my vote just for that. The liberals seem to have policies I generally agree with, but they seem to have failed to achieve any progress on them, or at least were wildly, unrealistically optimistic about what they can do and then fell woefully short.

I saw McGuinty on TVO yesterday trying to defend the catholic (only) funding thing.....not at all convincing. I think if he had his way and it was at all likely to wash with the electorate he would be glad to get rid of the catholic school funding all together to make the dilemma over funding other religious schools go away.

Neither is really an attractive option, and I'm sorely tempted to stay home, but if you dont vote you have no right to criticise the result, and people in other places are making huge sacrifices to get even a fraction of the democracy we enjoy, so I will vote...I might still vote liberal on the grounds that at least they are trying to do something right, even though once in power they found it too hard to actually achieve their aims. I could vote Tory, but they would have to give me a better reason to do so than broken liberal promises...The liberals don't have a monopoly on that; I still remember Erny Eaves and Mike Harris:eek:

Oakvillian Sep 7th 2007 1:11 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 5284624)
Based on the campaigning Ive seen we have;

• Silence from the Liberals...really, what has pointy head been doing since winning power and realising he had to break his tax promise? Since then he has kept an incredibly low profile
  • Tories ads that just criticise the Libs for broken promises, but not actually telling us what they would do different. Not even a hint of a policy, which scares me..seems like they want to keep their agenda hidden.

I hate negative campaigning with a passion, so the Tories wont get my vote just for that. The liberals seem to have policies I generally agree with, but they seem to have failed to achieve any progress on them, or at least were wildly, unrealistically optimistic about what they can do and then fell woefully short.

I saw McGuinty on TVO yesterday trying to defend the catholic (only) funding thing.....not at all convincing. I think if he had his way and it was at all likely to wash with the electorate he would be glad to get rid of the catholic school funding all together to make the dilemma over funding other religious schools go away.

Neither is really an attractive option, and I'm sorely tempted to stay home, but if you dont vote you have no right to criticise the result, and people in other places are making huge sacrifices to get even a fraction of the democracy we enjoy, so I will vote...I might still vote liberal on the grounds that at least they are trying to do something right, even though once in power they found it too hard to actually achieve their aims. I could vote Tory, but they would have to give me a better reason to do so than broken liberal promises...The liberals don't have a monopoly on that; I still remember Erny Eaves and Mike Harris:eek:

I listened to a "debate" on Metro Morning on CBC radio this morning - they had three candidates from Toronto ridings, all of whom spent every answer slagging off the other two rather than making any kind of declaration of policy or trying to justify why people should vote for them rather than not vote for the other two. It was more like one of those sixth-form debates where you have to choose which one to throw out of the balloon first between Atilla the Hun, Pol Pot and Stalin.

For once in my life I'm actually glad I'm disenfranchised because I have no inclination to vote for any of them. I'd still try and work out the least-worst option and vote if I could though, as I agree with Iain that if you don't exercise that right you can't complain about the result...

dbd33 Sep 7th 2007 1:17 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 5284624)

Neither is really an attractive option, and I'm sorely tempted to stay home, but if you dont vote you have no right to criticise the result, and people in other places are making huge sacrifices to get even a fraction of the democracy we enjoy, so I will vote...I might still vote liberal on the grounds that at least they are trying to do something right, even though once in power they found it too hard to actually achieve their aims.

I also watched "The Agenda" and wholly agree with the above.

dbd33 Sep 7th 2007 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 5284676)
I listened to a "debate" on Metro Morning on CBC radio this morning - they had three candidates from Toronto ridings, all of whom spent every answer slagging off the other two rather than making any kind of declaration of policy or trying to justify why people should vote for them rather than not vote for the other two. It was more like one of those sixth-form debates where you have to choose which one to throw out of the balloon first between Atilla the Hun, Pol Pot and Stalin.

lol. If the election featured both Bob Rae and Mike Harris it'd be even closer to that.

Sazalou Sep 7th 2007 1:57 am

I wish I was I able to Vote as there is not a chance I would vote Liberal. If the Liberals are voted back in on October 10th then I will not be immigrating to Canada.

Along with lots of other reasons the main reason I would not vote Liberal is that they introduced a Law which ban certain breeds of dogs, and they have watched why thousands of innocent puppies are slaughtered due to being born the wrong shape. The Liberals were advised by many experts that this Law would not work and over the past 2 years it has been proven not to work and is costing the Ontario Tax Payers millions of dollars to enforce. The Law states that you are guilty and you have to prove you are innocent.:curse:

If I were to move to Canada there is every chance that my dogs could be confiscated and destroyed due to them being mis-identified as a certain breed. Why should they be destroyed when they have an excellent temperment and have never shown any signs of aggressions?

dbd33 Sep 7th 2007 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Sazalou (Post 5284932)
I wish I was I able to Vote as there is not a chance I would vote Liberal. If the Liberals are voted back in on October 10th then I will not be immigrating to Canada.

Along with lots of other reasons the main reason I would not vote Liberal is that they introduced a Law which ban certain breeds of dogs, and they have watched why thousands of innocent puppies are slaughtered due to being born the wrong shape. The Liberals were advised by many experts that this Law would not work and over the past 2 years it has been proven not to work and is costing the Ontario Tax Payers millions of dollars to enforce. The Law states that you are guilty and you have to prove you are innocent.:curse:

If I were to move to Canada there is every chance that my dogs could be confiscated and destroyed due to them being mis-identified as a certain breed. Why should they be destroyed when they have an excellent temperment and have never shown any signs of aggressions?

I doubt the election will turn on dangerous dogs. Nonetheless, if you have something resembling a pit bull, please shoot it where you are rather than bringing it here and burdening animal control with the job.

Sazalou Sep 7th 2007 2:35 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 5284996)
I doubt the election will turn on dangerous dogs. Nonetheless, if you have something resembling a pit bull, please shoot it where you are rather than bringing it here and burdening animal control with the job.

Would you shoot your child just because somebody didn't like the way they looked?? A dog is only danderous with irresponsible owners

Banning a breed does not work, you should punish the deed. Dog bites have gone up in Ontario since introducing the ban.

dbd33 Sep 7th 2007 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Sazalou (Post 5285141)
Would you shoot your child just because somebody didn't like the way they looked??

It's often been suggested but humans are not disposable in the way that animals are so no I haven't.

Originally Posted by Sazalou (Post 5285141)
A dog is only danderous with irresponsible owners

Please be responsible then and keep it where it is.

Just to be on topic for a moment, I don't believe any party is campaigning on a platform of allowing dangerous dogs. If Michael Vick is running I'm afraid I missed that news.

iaink Sep 7th 2007 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Sazalou (Post 5284932)

Is that why you are leaving the UK, as they have basically the same unworkable law there too dont they?

There is no doubt that here at least dog fighting happens and certain breeds are bred and trained for that purpose. While I agree that its bad owners that are the root of most of the problem, if the law makes it easier to prosecute those idiots that fight dogs then thats a good side effect, but frankly I dont want those breeds near my house and kids anyway.

Its bad enough we have two dobermans next door that got loose and aggressively attacked, mauled and destroyed our kids snowman (try explaining that to a tearful 3 year old). There are many other breads of dog that make great pets that are not bred to have massively powerful jaws that clamp and dont let go. I'm sure that many of the owners of the dogs that attacked or killed kids also swore they had a nice temperament too.

Im not sure of the maths, how many dead kids are the lives of a few thousand dogs worth again?

Sazalou Sep 7th 2007 3:06 am

The other two major political parties in Ontario (Progressive Conservative and New Democrats) have said publicly and privately that they disagree with this law and that they would like to see it replaced with strict, no-nonsense legislation that targets the behaviour of irresponsible owners, regardless of the breed of dog they own.

FYI I don't own a breed that is banned but the law covers dogs that look substantially similar to the breeds that are currently banned, neither of them have any "Pitbull" in them. I agree that dangerous dogs should be dealt with.

Novocastrian Sep 7th 2007 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Oakvillian;
It was more like one of those sixth-form debates where you have to choose which one to throw out of the balloon first between Atilla the Hun, Pol Pot and Stalin.

A bit like drinking beer with dbd33 and myself, then?

As a newly minted Canadian, I'll be voting for the first time in decades. For an indication on how and why, see the post on the recycling thread.

Novocastrian Sep 7th 2007 4:22 am

Originally Posted by iaink;

What's wrong with that idea?

dbd33 Sep 7th 2007 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 5285589)
As a newly minted Canadian, I'll be voting for the first time in decades. For an indication on how and why, see the post on the recycling thread.

Last night we got a flyer from a company that is seeking an Environmental Assessment for four new wind farms. Based on the map supplied it looked as if a tower was planned for the middle of Guardianista Acres. That got me effics and nimbyism in quite the tangle.

iaink Sep 7th 2007 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 5285630)
What's wrong with that idea?

Not getting into the pros and cons of that, whats wrong with it is if thats what he thinks then he should just say so, rather than sitting uncomfortaby and unconvincingly on the fence spouting cliches and platitudes he does not believe.

Few things are worse than a politician without conviction. George Galloway may be an arse, but I still respect him because of his conviction and consistency. McGuinty...not so much.