Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Ontario Election.

The Ontario Election.

Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ontario Election.

Originally Posted by iaink;
Not getting into the pros and cons of that, whats wrong with it is if thats what he thinks then he should just say so, rather than sitting uncomfortaby and unconvincingly on the fence spouting cliches and platitudes he does not believe.

Few things are worse than a politician without conviction. George Galloway may be an arse, but I still respect him because of his conviction and consistency. McGuinty...not so much.
Yes, Dalton's no George Galloway. The answer to your question though is in your own post "if..it was at all likely to wash with the electorate".

This issue is not of McGuinty's making... why should he take a big political gamble at this juncture just because John Tory sees a possible issue which will win him votes (he thinks). He has more important fish to fry.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Not getting into the pros and cons of that, whats wrong with it is if thats what he thinks then he should just say so, rather than sitting uncomfortaby and unconvincingly on the fence spouting cliches and platitudes he does not believe.
I wondered if he'd been coached to sound like someone who was putting his best effort into saying something he didn't believe while actually believing it all along. If he didn't believe in a two-tier system he could have demonstrated that by sending his children to an ordinary school rather than a Catholic one. He can't say he'd abolish the present system, even if he believes that would be right, as it's unsaleable to Catholic voters. He can't seem to promote other religious lunacy as that's the Conservative position, so I wonder if he went for a double bluff, saying something, while obviously not supporting it, so as to convey the impression of thinking the opposite.

He's a slimeball but then he used to be a lawyer and now he's a politician, unless he takes up televangelism he can hardly get less reputable.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

if you dont vote you have no right to criticise the result,
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to vote just yet but I am allowed to pay tax so that puts me in the position of criticizing the eventual result without having voted. So you see PR status does have some benefit.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:59 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to vote just yet but I am allowed to pay tax so that puts me in the position of criticizing the eventual result without having voted. So you see PR status does have some benefit.
I wondered about that when I first understood that non-citizen residents have no voting rights but are expected to pay taxes... wasn't it "no taxation without representation" that got the ball rolling towards American independence? Up the revolution, say I (but not too loudly in case CIC is listening...)
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian;
I wondered about that when I first understood that non-citizen residents have no voting rights but are expected to pay taxes... wasn't it "no taxation without representation" that got the ball rolling towards American independence? Up the revolution, say I (but not too loudly in case CIC is listening...)
It sure was.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It sure was.
"Taxation without Representation"

is the motto on DC license plates.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:13 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33;

He's a slimeball but then he used to be a lawyer and now he's a politician, unless he takes up televangelism he can hardly get less reputable.
I know I'm going to sound naive, but I don't think he's so bad. Nor do I think John Tory is so bad.

I don't want to paint myself into a corner where I have to agree with everything the Liberals have done in the last few years, but they're certainly an improvement over Harris/Eaves.

It's hard to say much about the present PC lot, because they have no known policies (on issues other than knee jerk garbage) and essentially all of the Harris/Eaves front bench have either quit politics or moved to Ottawa.

Edit: Or is that Eves? I suppose I could google...

Edit again: It's Eves. Me mind's going.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 7th 2007 at 5:18 am.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

I know I'm going to sound naive, but I don't think he's so bad. Nor do I think John Tory is so bad.

I don't want to paint myself into a corner where I have to agree with everything the Liberals have done in the last few years, but they're certainly an improvement over Harris/Eaves.

It's hard to say much about the present PC lot, because they have no known policies (on issues other than knee jerk garbage) and essentially all of the Harris/Eaves front bench have either quit politics or moved to Ottawa.

Edit: Or is that Eves? I suppose I could google...

Edit again: It's Eves. Me mind's going.
No question the Liberals have been better than Harris/Eves.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
We'll all just whisper.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 6:06 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33;
No question the Liberals have been better than Harris/Eves.
Well that's it then. We two are certainly completely representative of the Ontario electorate at large, so the poll results will be Lib 100%, PC 0% (margin of error +/- 200%, 19 times out of twenty).
Old Sep 7th 2007, 6:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

Well that's it then. We two are certainly completely representative of the Ontario electorate at large, so the poll results will be Lib 100%, PC 0% (margin of error +/- 200%, 19 times out of twenty).
Settled then. Perhaps Sazalou could try another province.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:17 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
Last night we got a flyer from a company that is seeking an Environmental Assessment for four new wind farms. Based on the map supplied it looked as if a tower was planned for the middle of Guardianista Acres. That got me effics and nimbyism in quite the tangle.
I missed this post earlier. If you get a wind turbine in the backyard, you can brag that it's carbon offset for all the horse-shit produced at Guardianista Acres.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

I missed this post earlier. If you get a wind turbine in the backyard, you can brag that it's carbon offset for all the horse-shit produced at Guardianista Acres.
Will it also cover bullshit generated by residents of Guardianista Acres?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:24 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Sazalou
I wish I was I able to Vote as there is not a chance I would vote Liberal. If the Liberals are voted back in on October 10th then I will not be immigrating to Canada.
Quite; if those pitbull hating liberals get back in it'll be the end of life as we know it in Alberta and Nova Scotia.

You could consider Australia.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:26 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
Will it also cover bullshit generated by residents of Guardianista Acres?
Oh yes. I was going to suggest this myself, but thought it insensitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.