Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OH has landed today but we're still here!

OH has landed today but we're still here!

Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OH has landed today but we're still here!

Originally Posted by Manson
My OH has been gone 9 weeks today (not that I'm counting) and we too are in the same position we were when he left. Hopefully all our houses will sell soon.

Is it your first grandchild? Having a little one to cuddle and coo over would definitely ease the stress. Think I'm starting to get broody again. Maybe it's a good thing OH is away.

Sharon
Yes it is our first. He is 12 days old, another reason for me to stay put for a bit too. And I hope you are right about the houses. I really hope things start shifting for us and everyone else in the same position.
Tina
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

alilane will become famous soon enough

omg.. how have you guys coped with this?

OH is not even due to leave for 6 hours and I'm a nervous wreck already

I've been trying to tell myself to see it as just a trip away but its the thought that I don't know how long it will be before I see him again one way or another. I'm worried that the children (especially the littlest) will miss him so much and I wont know what to do as I'll be in no fit state. All the planning and organising is done now - and I think thats what's made it hit me so hard over the last 2 days.

anyone.. feel free to let me know how you got through this please......
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alilane
omg.. how have you guys coped with this?

OH is not even due to leave for 6 hours and I'm a nervous wreck already

I've been trying to tell myself to see it as just a trip away but its the thought that I don't know how long it will be before I see him again one way or another. I'm worried that the children (especially the littlest) will miss him so much and I wont know what to do as I'll be in no fit state. All the planning and organising is done now - and I think thats what's made it hit me so hard over the last 2 days.

anyone.. feel free to let me know how you got through this please......
2 weeks in today out of our 8 week separation - and you know what not half as bad as I was anticipating!

We have been regularly texting, with a couple of voicecalls over the course of the week and then Skype at the weekends. The time difference does make things difficult but you can get round this if you put the effort in!

Not to say its easy its the little things you miss but I am focusing on the fact it won't be long until we are together again. We are cherishing the time here with our friends and family and filling as much of time as possible with get togethers and I have to say the time is flying in.

The kids are also doing much better than I imagined and although missing their dad they are just getting on with things and looking forward to the Skype calls at the weekend.

Take care, i'll be thinking of you! As I said before - feel free to lean there are a lot of us out there in the same boat who know exactly how you are feeling!

Michelle x
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hollis Family
2 weeks in today out of our 8 week separation - and you know what not half as bad as I was anticipating!

We have been regularly texting, with a couple of voicecalls over the course of the week and then Skype at the weekends. The time difference does make things difficult but you can get round this if you put the effort in!

Not to say its easy its the little things you miss but I am focusing on the fact it won't be long until we are together again. We are cherishing the time here with our friends and family and filling as much of time as possible with get togethers and I have to say the time is flying in.

The kids are also doing much better than I imagined and although missing their dad they are just getting on with things and looking forward to the Skype calls at the weekend.

Take care, i'll be thinking of you! As I said before - feel free to lean there are a lot of us out there in the same boat who know exactly how you are feeling!

Michelle x
Hi Michelle and Ali,

I think the fact that you have a "countdown" Michelle makes it much easier. My husband has been gone for 2 months now and it has been hard. Yes I have my family and friends here but in the evening I just have myself most of the time.
Not knowing when I was going made it harder for us. My husband has been struggling on his own. He says his colleagues are really nice and friendly but once work is over he is back on his own.
We made the decision this week to leave the house up for sale, with someone staying in it and for me to go over with my son.
Now that this decision is made I do feel as though a weight has been lifted as I too now have a countdown.
Ali it is hard but if you have young children, then your time will go I imagine, looking after them. Mine are grown up.
I think also that I worry about him and in turn he worries about me. I am sure that this situation is common.
Lots of families here have had to go down this route. We kept reminding ourselves that it was another step in the right direction and temporary.
Ali, I hope your wait is not too long and Michelle I hope your next 6 weeks fly by.
Tina

Last edited by albertabound; Apr 30th 2009 at 8:23 am.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

feel for you all and fully undestand as a retired Army wife

get yourself countdown chuff charts as every little helps

and try to console yourself with the tought that at least his life is not threatened on a daily basis ( piggy flu aside)

having gone though iraq and a day when a soldier was killed in Kosovo and phone call to say husbands was not a plane home and then another call to say well actualy he is
seperations since then have not been half as bad

you will have such a wonderful prize at the end of it all ie a new fabby life in Canada and the reunions are simply fantastic
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all..

Also thanks Michelle .. I know I sound such a wuss and there are people in this world far worse off than me - at least he's not in any danger. Its just that he's gone now and I find the smallest things difficult. I'm sure in time it wont be so bad and I'll actually enjoy having the remote control to myself again (well unless my son starts all that!). I think the fact that there is no timeframe for me to hold onto is the worst thing.

..just hope the housing market picks up soon as thats the only thing holding me back...
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From West Yorkshire to Ontario. Now enjoying life in Saskatchewan
Manson will become famous soon enough

I am finding the no time frame does make it worst, and the fact that you cannot do anything about it (the house will sell when it sells).

I suppose I am lucky as OH is only 2 hours behind me so we all get to see and speak with him daily on Skype. But I have no friends or support network here so am basically alone with the 3 kids.

As the weeks go by I am finding it harder. I have good days and bad days.

The kids have been great though. We thought we would have real problems with our youngest as he was a daddys boy, but he has been fine. The middle one who we though would be okay has a meltdown ever couple of weeks saying he doesn't want to stay in this house and how he hates it.
The oldest is harder work as he is approaching his teens and has ADHD.

But it's not all doomed and gloom for us as my OH loves his job and loves Saskatoon.

Just wish those city folk would start parting with their cash and buy my home.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Now I dont know what I'm more worried about .. OH called, said he'd been speaking to a Canadian on the flight who happened to work in construction (OH is a carpenter).. told him he had got laid off and work situation out in BC had got worse .. will I be seeing OH sooner than I thought? Hope not really as it was supposed to be the start of a new life for all of us - I'm not stupid enough not to realise that every country has been hit one way or the other but now I'm crosing everything that the job is secure and he stays there!

... Not stopped being upset today though...
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From West Yorkshire to Ontario. Now enjoying life in Saskatchewan
Manson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by alilane
Now I dont know what I'm more worried about .. OH called, said he'd been speaking to a Canadian on the flight who happened to work in construction (OH is a carpenter).. told him he had got laid off and work situation out in BC had got worse .. will I be seeing OH sooner than I thought? Hope not really as it was supposed to be the start of a new life for all of us - I'm not stupid enough not to realise that every country has been hit one way or the other but now I'm crosing everything that the job is secure and he stays there!

... Not stopped being upset today though...
Fingers crossed all goes well for your OH. When does he start work?

2 weeks after my OH started his new job they had a big contract cancelled and laid off about 10 people, luckily OH was not one of them. OH did say that he got the feeling they were using this as an excuse to get rid of the deadwood in the company.

Get him to take some photos of the area where he is and send them to you. It certainly made me feel a little closer to my OH. It will also be a constant reminder of why you are doing this.

If you haven't got skype then I would suggest getting it, it really is fantastic especially if you use the video calling.

Sharon x
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manson
Fingers crossed all goes well for your OH. When does he start work?

2 weeks after my OH started his new job they had a big contract cancelled and laid off about 10 people, luckily OH was not one of them. OH did say that he got the feeling they were using this as an excuse to get rid of the deadwood in the company.

Get him to take some photos of the area where he is and send them to you. It certainly made me feel a little closer to my OH. It will also be a constant reminder of why you are doing this.

If you haven't got skype then I would suggest getting it, it really is fantastic especially if you use the video calling.

Sharon x

Thanks ..

OH has to call boss on Monday (thats the trouble with landing so close to a weekend I guess but it gives him time to look around and get his bearings) so not sure of a definite start date for work. Will just have to cross fingers the company see what a fantastic workman he is and decide they couldn't live without him

I've got skype on my pc ready.. just waiting for him to sort himself out his end now. But thats a nice thought about some pics - I put plenty in his case to remind him of us but the kids might appreciate it the other way too and help them see a move may be closer than it was before...