Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OH has landed today but we're still here!

OH has landed today but we're still here!

Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of
Default OH has landed today but we're still here!

My husband is officially a landed immigrant as of 3.30pm this afternoon!! Unfortunately my 15 year old is sitting his standard grades next month so we can't go until mid-June.

On the bright side only 56 days until my husband returns (to collect us all!) and 60 days until the family is back together!

Michelle
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

westewoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OH has landed today but we're still here!

congrats, and comisaration, i will be in the same boat next week. i am flying out to work, and my wife and 7 year old are staying here
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by westewoo
congrats, and comisaration, i will be in the same boat next week. i am flying out to work, and my wife and 7 year old are staying here
I suppose we have to look on the bright side - at least you have both got work to go to! I have two sons 15 & 12 so it will be a tough few weeks but all worth it when we realise our Canadian dream in a couple of months!

Where are you heading? My husband has a job in Waterloo, Ontario so we most probably end up staying around that area.

Michelle
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

westewoo is an unknown quantity at this point

regina sas. but im going as a long haul trucker, so home is were you park it
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

wonderful michelle!! can empathise re the seperation retired Army wife here but my oh my are those reunions something else!!

after 6 ,8 ,10 months apart the old boy seemed perfect each and every time

after all the stress he has caused re immigration I dream of those days flinging me arms around him on the tarmac when he could do no wrong think he does too

get yourself a chuff chart and start ticking the days off!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chumley
wonderful michelle!! can empathise re the seperation retired Army wife here but my oh my are those reunions something else!!

after 6 ,8 ,10 months apart the old boy seemed perfect each and every time

after all the stress he has caused re immigration I dream of those days flinging me arms around him on the tarmac when he could do no wrong think he does too

get yourself a chuff chart and start ticking the days off!
Thanks Chumley - you really made me laugh!! Looking forward to the reunion!!

I'll start the chart tomorrow - 55 days by then!!

Michelle x
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From West Yorkshire to Ontario. Now enjoying life in Saskatchewan
Manson will become famous soon enough

Hi Michelle,

Just keep crossing those days off and you will soon be together again

I am in a similar boat but don't have any timelines as to when we will be together again.

It is hard been apart, I have found skype to be a life saver especially for the kids.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

alilane will become famous soon enough

hi all.... I will know how you feel on 30th april when OH flies off to pastures new. This is the way it has to be for now due to uncertainty over any possible house sale and the fact that he was told if he didnt commit soon then the job offer may be withdrawn (and fair enough, we know how many others would be able to drop everything and start straight away).

As for when me and the 3 kids (and the cat) manage to fly.. well, how long is a piece of string? I'm dreading it to be honest, its the first time we've been apart for any length of time, plus the fact that it will impact on my job here as I wont be able to do my usual hours, may not even be able to go to work anymore. Time difference will be an issue and when he'll get a chance to phone the kids will be in bed but hey, I comfort myself that in the end it will all be worth it and soon we will all be sitting back admiring a new country together.

In the meantime, can I lean on you guys a little? lol
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Manson
Hi Michelle,

Just keep crossing those days off and you will soon be together again

I am in a similar boat but don't have any timelines as to when we will be together again.

It is hard been apart, I have found skype to be a life saver especially for the kids.
We have set the skype up and planning to use it for the first time this evening - hope you get some timelines soon so that you can be together again!

Michelle
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alilane
hi all.... I will know how you feel on 30th april when OH flies off to pastures new. This is the way it has to be for now due to uncertainty over any possible house sale and the fact that he was told if he didnt commit soon then the job offer may be withdrawn (and fair enough, we know how many others would be able to drop everything and start straight away).

As for when me and the 3 kids (and the cat) manage to fly.. well, how long is a piece of string? I'm dreading it to be honest, its the first time we've been apart for any length of time, plus the fact that it will impact on my job here as I wont be able to do my usual hours, may not even be able to go to work anymore. Time difference will be an issue and when he'll get a chance to phone the kids will be in bed but hey, I comfort myself that in the end it will all be worth it and soon we will all be sitting back admiring a new country together.

In the meantime, can I lean on you guys a little? lol
Feel free to lean!! I know what you mean we will have been married 20 years in September and the longest we have been apart is a week so it will take a bit of getting used to!

I know what you mean about work, I am finishing up in 2 weeks as it is too difficult to travel with work. I am usually away overnight to London a couple of times a month and then a few day trips down too - so not really feasible as our families stay a bit away. Friends have been great but you don't want to lean on them too much either!

Never mind at least our OH's have jobs to go to which is obviously a big plus in this economic climate.

Feel free to PM me!

Michelle
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you and your family. I am in the same boat too. My husband has been gone for 6 long weeks already and I just seem to be in the same position as when he left, house etc.
Skype is fantastic though and having a new grandson to coo over.
Tina
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From West Yorkshire to Ontario. Now enjoying life in Saskatchewan
Manson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by albertabound
Congratulations to you and your family. I am in the same boat too. My husband has been gone for 6 long weeks already and I just seem to be in the same position as when he left, house etc.
Skype is fantastic though and having a new grandson to coo over.
Tina
My OH has been gone 9 weeks today (not that I'm counting) and we too are in the same position we were when he left. Hopefully all our houses will sell soon.

Is it your first grandchild? Having a little one to cuddle and coo over would definitely ease the stress. Think I'm starting to get broody again. Maybe it's a good thing OH is away.

Sharon

Last edited by Manson; Apr 16th 2009 at 4:13 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

HellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura about

Hi Everyone.
Me too. My husband flies on Monday to Vancouver, the kids and I are staying behind. I've got a house to re-decorate before we can even put it on the market and then we've got to sell before we can join him.
It's nice to hear lots of others are doing a similar thing. OH we be back at the end of July and my sister is visiting from Alaska at the end of May so plenty will be happening. Not looking forward to Monday though.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

If he goes to the Kick-Off bar (in the strip off University and Phillip St) on a Friday around 5:30, he may see me having my customary Friday beer on the way home from work

KICKOFF BAR
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:17 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure he is having an awful time by himself.

<pause>

NOT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.