Reload this Page >

Obtaining a drivers abstract from the UK

Obtaining a drivers abstract from the UK

Old Jun 8th 2021, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

ArekDeBoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obtaining a drivers abstract from the UK

Originally Posted by gforce3
Yea no worries about asking your own question. It sounds like you are essentially in the same situation as me. You don't need a full driving history to exchange your license (or get insurance for that matter). If you need to show your "driving history" for insurance- they actually only want to know when you acquired the first, full (non-learner) license you ever received. To do that you will need to get a letter of entitlement like I am training to attain myself.

The dvla has been pretty slow to respond to me but I finally got an email back today. If you follow the same instructions they gave to me they will fax your Letter of entitlement to a fax number you provide. I was given the relevant fax number by the person who presented me my BC license.

"We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.

If you need to provide proof of your entitlement to drive to a licensing authority overseas, please call us and we’ll issue you with a certificate of entitlement.

You can call our Contact Centre on:
(+44)300 790 6801
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday 8am to 4pm

There is no fee for this service.

When you call to request the certificate of entitlement you will be asked to provide a fax number or postal address.

Before calling, please check with the licensing authority if they will accept a faxed copy of your driving entitlement or whether they require the original document.

Please note: Certificates can only be requested through calling the above telephone number and can only be sent via fax or post. If you require the certificate to be sent via post within the UK, it will be sent to the address showing on your driving licence.

I trust this is of assistance to you."

Hope that helps!
​​​​​​
Due to some industrial actions they do NOT take any calls at the moment
Old Jun 8th 2021, 3:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs_socks
Is it OK to jump in with a question? Wasn't sure about starting a new thread for a similar enquiry. Does any one have an idea of what I need to search/apply for to get a full UK driving licence history? I can get the online one, but it only shows my current licence which was renewed in April this year. I've had a UK licence since 2002 but I don't know how I get proof of that? (Looking to exchange my UK licence for a BC one. Have looked at the DVLA and ICBC sites but seem to be going in circles a little bit!)
Have you checked the back of the physical license? It should show how long you have held a license and which categories - the front only shows the date of renewal.

See this post.. Exchanging driving license - Certificate of Entitlement

If you don't have it, you can also apply by mail https://www.gov.uk/government/public...driving-record

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 8th 2021 at 3:05 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2021, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

shorty8118 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gforce3
Yea no worries about asking your own question. It sounds like you are essentially in the same situation as me. You don't need a full driving history to exchange your license (or get insurance for that matter). If you need to show your "driving history" for insurance- they actually only want to know when you acquired the first, full (non-learner) license you ever received. To do that you will need to get a letter of entitlement like I am training to attain myself.

The dvla has been pretty slow to respond to me but I finally got an email back today. If you follow the same instructions they gave to me they will fax your Letter of entitlement to a fax number you provide. I was given the relevant fax number by the person who presented me my BC license.

"We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.

If you need to provide proof of your entitlement to drive to a licensing authority overseas, please call us and we’ll issue you with a certificate of entitlement.

You can call our Contact Centre on:
(+44)300 790 6801
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday 8am to 4pm

There is no fee for this service.

When you call to request the certificate of entitlement you will be asked to provide a fax number or postal address.

Before calling, please check with the licensing authority if they will accept a faxed copy of your driving entitlement or whether they require the original document.

Please note: Certificates can only be requested through calling the above telephone number and can only be sent via fax or post. If you require the certificate to be sent via post within the UK, it will be sent to the address showing on your driving licence.

I trust this is of assistance to you."

Hope that helps!
Good Morning,
Did you or anyone mange to get through to them? I have been trying for 2 weeks now and i don't even get put on hold i just get "all lines are busy please call back later good bye".
I have emailed them and i got the same generic letter that you got.
Old Oct 4th 2021, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Tabularasa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shorty8118
Good Morning,
Did you or anyone mange to get through to them? I have been trying for 2 weeks now and i don't even get put on hold i just get "all lines are busy please call back later good bye".
I have emailed them and i got the same generic letter that you got.
I called in late July before coming to Canada and the only way I got through on the phone to DVLA was to call IMMEDIATELY as they open.
I asked for my certificate of entitlement and they sent by fax within a few hours.

For insurance, I sent my CoE, drivers record and 6 years worth of insurance history from MIB to Johnsons. It saved me a lot - $2400pa down to $1600pa.