Reload this Page >

Obtaining a drivers abstract from the UK

Obtaining a drivers abstract from the UK

Old May 31st 2021, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

gforce3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining a drivers abstract from the UK

HI all,

I recently moved to BC, from Alberta, prior to that- Manitoba- prior to that- England.

When I first arrived in Manitoba I exchanged my UK driving license for a Manitoba driving license. I then exchanged that one for an Alberta one then albert>BC license when I moved here. At this point I was told I would need to provide proof for the extent of my driving history in order to get a lower rate of insurance from the BC provider. I was told this would be referred to as an "original drivers abstract" or "certificate of entitlement". I went onto the DVLA website but couldn't access my drivers history as I no longer have a UK license.

Does anyone know how I can get what they need to over here to show my driving history? I have 12+ years of no claims that I would like to be applied but no idea how to acquire the relevant document.

I appreciate any input or advice anyone has to offer. Thanks!
Old May 31st 2021, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining a drivers abstract from the UK

I’ve seen comments on a Facebook group advising people moving over to Canada to get that info before swapping their licence as it’s lost at that point. I was left with the impression that it couldn’t then be retrieved unfortunately.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 4:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You probably won't be able to obtain the online version as you have already exchanged your license, but should be able to get the paper version.
Paper application: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...driving-record

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 1st 2021 at 4:31 am.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You probably won't be able to obtain the online version as you have already exchanged your license, but should be able to get the paper version.
That’s good to know, although I see that there’s a warning about processing times for such requests at present. The comments I’d seen elsewhere didn’t realise that was a possibility - thanks.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 11:42 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

You can call DVLA Driving Records and see if they can help. Their no. is +44 179 278 2200.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does one need to complete this? I remember last time I lived in BC, I just exchanged my licence and was given a Canadian licence. I'm assuming the abstract only helps with lower insurance premiums, as in it's not mandatory to get this in order to get a Canadian licence? Will BC take into account my previous Canadian driving history??

Old Jun 2nd 2021, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj322
Does one need to complete this? I remember last time I lived in BC, I just exchanged my licence and was given a Canadian licence. I'm assuming the abstract only helps with lower insurance premiums, as in it's not mandatory to get this in order to get a Canadian licence? Will BC take into account my previous Canadian driving history??
Read this link

https://www.icbc.com/insurance/movin...residents.aspx
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dj322
You are correct- it is not mandatory to prove driver history acquire a Canadian license (due the the reciprocal exchange agreement). I need it to qualify for a much lower rate of insurance. I exchanged my UK license in Manitoba back in 2018 so as far as BC is concerned that is the first non-learner license I have owned. I've been driving (no claims) for about 15 years longer than that so want to be able to prove that fact for the lower rate. Scans of my original UK license are not sufficient (which I think is a little unreasonable).
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

I'm trying to avoid the international call but I think I will have to resort to this. The DVLA like to keep their contact info close to their chest for some reason! Thankyou for the reply.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 11:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gforce3
I'm trying to avoid the international call but I think I will have to resort to this. The DVLA like to keep their contact info close to their chest for some reason! Thankyou for the reply.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

mrs_socks is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it OK to jump in with a question? Wasn't sure about starting a new thread for a similar enquiry. Does any one have an idea of what I need to search/apply for to get a full UK driving licence history? I can get the online one, but it only shows my current licence which was renewed in April this year. I've had a UK licence since 2002 but I don't know how I get proof of that? (Looking to exchange my UK licence for a BC one. Have looked at the DVLA and ICBC sites but seem to be going in circles a little bit!)
Old Jun 7th 2021, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Yea no worries about asking your own question. It sounds like you are essentially in the same situation as me. You don't need a full driving history to exchange your license (or get insurance for that matter). If you need to show your "driving history" for insurance- they actually only want to know when you acquired the first, full (non-learner) license you ever received. To do that you will need to get a letter of entitlement like I am training to attain myself.

The dvla has been pretty slow to respond to me but I finally got an email back today. If you follow the same instructions they gave to me they will fax your Letter of entitlement to a fax number you provide. I was given the relevant fax number by the person who presented me my BC license.

"We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.

If you need to provide proof of your entitlement to drive to a licensing authority overseas, please call us and we’ll issue you with a certificate of entitlement.

You can call our Contact Centre on:
(+44)300 790 6801
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday 8am to 4pm

There is no fee for this service.

When you call to request the certificate of entitlement you will be asked to provide a fax number or postal address.

Before calling, please check with the licensing authority if they will accept a faxed copy of your driving entitlement or whether they require the original document.

Please note: Certificates can only be requested through calling the above telephone number and can only be sent via fax or post. If you require the certificate to be sent via post within the UK, it will be sent to the address showing on your driving licence.

I trust this is of assistance to you."

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 7th 2021, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

mrs_socks is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazing, thanks very much!
Old Jun 7th 2021, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Just to clarify- if you have less than 2 years on the license you currently hold, you may need to get the letter of entitlement before you exchange your license. They may try to give you a learner license if you can't prove more than 2 years full license experience. You could try them and if they try to give you a learner license- leave, get the letter of entitlement faxed over, then return and exchange your license.

Best of luck!
Old Jun 8th 2021, 6:55 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gforce3
(In case cost is an issue...) I use a provider called G3 Telecom. Only 1c/min to UK landline so a $5 top up goes a long way and there is no expiry. I use my cell phone to dial the access no. and then call the destination upon prompt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.