Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Oath to the Queen

Oath to the Queen

Old May 11th 2007, 2:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oath to the Queen

Would '**** me Liz, Phil the Greek is looking a bit old these days' count as an oath to the Queen?
Old May 11th 2007, 4:14 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
I couldn't find it on CBC either. His comparison of the Queen with Hitler was pretty disgusting, and I'm no Royalist.
Well they both loved a sausage

Last edited by Londonuck; May 11th 2007 at 4:17 pm.
Old May 11th 2007, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

If he likes a republic why didn't he stay in his home country, Trinidad and Tobago
Old May 11th 2007, 6:37 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Liana
If he likes a republic why didn't he stay in his home country, Trinidad and Tobago
I guess you haven't been to Trinidad.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

No
He should be more respectful as all immigrants should be though. If he had wanted to continue living in a better republic he should have gone to the US.
Old May 12th 2007, 2:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

But not an Australian, at least according to the 1995 Commonwealth Parliamentary Library cited on wikipedia. According to them:

"The Queen does not fall within the categories of citizenship by birth, adoption, descent, or grant listed in the Australian Citizenship Act 1948. All Australian citizens are subjects of the Queen in right of Australia. The Queen cannot be her own subject, as one only exists in relation to the other, and the two cannot as such be combined."

Not sure about this really, but it's interesting enough.
By the same standard, the Queen cannot be a British citizen either. As Monarch of the United Kingdom, She is effectively the personification of the nation and hence is above concepts of "citizenship".

Similarly in Her role of Queen of Canada, She is Canadian but more than a simple Canadian citizen.
Old May 12th 2007, 2:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Would '**** me Liz, Phil the Greek is looking a bit old these days' count as an oath to the Queen?
I really don't understand the jibes about Prince Philip being "Greek". He has been a naturalised Briton since 1947.

And he was almost certainly British by birth (with naturalisation irrelevant) because of the Sophia Naturalization Act.
Old May 12th 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
By the same standard, the Queen cannot be a British citizen either. As Monarch of the United Kingdom, She is effectively the personification of the nation and hence is above concepts of "citizenship".

Similarly in Her role of Queen of Canada, She is Canadian but more than a simple Canadian citizen.
I'm sure that when she opened parliament, in between George VI's death and her coronation, the crown was taken separately to parliament. She could not wear it as she had not been crowned, and therefore at that time the essential sovereign power of England and associated diminutives was a crown on a cushion, and not her, which is a great story.

But be warned, it was well before my time and I might have imagined that whole scenario.
Old May 12th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Queen wears the Imperial State Crown for the opening of Parliament and always has done I thought. The coronation crown is the St Edward's Crown and is only used for the coronations.
Not sure what you are meaning though. Do you have a link to that information?
Old May 12th 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
The Queen wears the Imperial State Crown for the opening of Parliament and always has done I thought. The coronation crown is the St Edward's Crown and is only used for the coronations.
Not sure what you are meaning though. Do you have a link to that information?
No, not at all. Like I say, I might have just dreamed it. Thought I saw it on a documentary. Don't quote it in public (especially regal circles of course) until you have researched it.......

I think it was that she couldn't wear the Imperial State crown because she hadn't been crowned at that point. The coronation wasn't till the following summer, and the State crown is the symbol of power. Where the sovereignty rests, etc. Remember, the "sovereign", in British terms, is really the "crown", and whoever wears it is really just a caretaker or representative of a much older idea. She hadn't been crowned so not even she could wear it when she opened parliament in 1952. Or something like that.

Last edited by Tableland; May 12th 2007 at 3:35 pm.
Old May 12th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for your response but I am still not sure if that is the case. However perhaps I shall find the document sometime and that can put me right
Old May 12th 2007, 9:34 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It just felt odd to me. I thought I already had lifetime membership to Club Liz.

While we're at it, could someone fix the first few lines of the anthem (English version)?

"Our home and native land"?

If it was, I wouldn't be at this ceremony, would I?
I already considered this bit, and wondered if one could sing "Our home and chosen land" instead??
Old May 13th 2007, 3:25 am
JAJ
Retired

I think it was that she couldn't wear the Imperial State crown because she hadn't been crowned at that point. The coronation wasn't till the following summer, and the State crown is the symbol of power. Where the sovereignty rests, etc. Remember, the "sovereign", in British terms, is really the "crown", and whoever wears it is really just a caretaker or representative of a much older idea. She hadn't been crowned so not even she could wear it when she opened parliament in 1952. Or something like that.
Notwithstanding the above, the Monarch is Sovereign upon ascension to the Throne. Coronation merely symbolises what has already occurrred.

For this reason, the Royal Standard is never flown at half-staff. There is never a "vacancy" upon the death of the Monarch.
Old May 13th 2007, 4:34 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Charles Roach is a lawyer; of course he's disgusting. More than that he's a kind of local Al Sharpton, always keen to get in the paper.

That said, I suppose in this instance he does have a point, Canada is about multi-culturalism; if people here want to be loyal to the Queen, or the Pope, or Osama bin Laden, or <struggles to think of a well known Canadian>.
Pamela Anderson and William Shatner are a couple of Canadians that spring to mind...
Old May 13th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Notwithstanding the above, the Monarch is Sovereign upon ascension to the Throne. Coronation merely symbolises what has already occurrred.

For this reason, the Royal Standard is never flown at half-staff. There is never a "vacancy" upon the death of the Monarch.
Hence "The king is dead, long live the King." I think I heard this business about the crown on the cushion on a BBC programme during the last opening of parliament in 2006. I can't find any other sources other than the following though, the reliability of which is up to the reader to decide:

"The British State Opening of Parliament is known for its magnificence, the use of tiaras by the royal ladies and the use of the Imperial State Crown by the monarch, who sits in the Throne of the magnificent House of Lords to deliver the speech. However, since the Queen had not yet been crowned, she could obviously not wear the Imperial State Crown. And so, Her Majesty wore the splendid King George IV State Diadem."

It's from a small website about the Queen, so not sure whey they got this information from - maybe the BBC for all I know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.