Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Oath to the Queen

Oath to the Queen

Old May 11th 2007, 10:49 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oath to the Queen

In today's Daily Telegraph there is an article about a guy, a naturalised Canadian, who has gone to court to challenge the requirement to swear the oath to the Queen. This would seem to be a fairly major charter issue. Why can't I find anything about it in the Canadian press?
Old May 11th 2007, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oath to the Queen

I'm sure there are lots of people out there who are happy to swear to the Queen

Maybe needs to rumble on a few more stages in the system to make it newsworthy in Canada ?
Old May 11th 2007, 11:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
In today's Daily Telegraph there is an article about a guy, a naturalised Canadian, who has gone to court to challenge the requirement to swear the oath to the Queen. This would seem to be a fairly major charter issue. Why can't I find anything about it in the Canadian press?
It's not in the Canadian press because it's not happening in the US.
Old May 11th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

I found this, same thing???

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...65508-sun.html
Old May 11th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't find it on CBC either. His comparison of the Queen with Hitler was pretty disgusting, and I'm no Royalist.
Old May 11th 2007, 11:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
I couldn't find it on CBC either. His comparison of the Queen with Hitler was pretty disgusting, and I'm no Royalist.
Charles Roach is a lawyer; of course he's disgusting. More than that he's a kind of local Al Sharpton, always keen to get in the paper.

That said, I suppose in this instance he does have a point, Canada is about multi-culturalism; if people here want to be loyal to the Queen, or the Pope, or Osama bin Laden, or <struggles to think of a well known Canadian> or even Hitler, it's all equal, an oath to the Queen doesn't really make sense in the Canadian context.
Old May 11th 2007, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by steve666
Thanks for finding that. I didn't realise they guy had previous. Maybe that's why most of the media is ignoring it.
Old May 11th 2007, 11:51 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Gosh, I don't think I'd be happy doing that either. I'd feel like a fraud saying it.

be faithful and bear true allegiance to her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her heirs and successors,"
Old May 11th 2007, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
Gosh, I don't think I'd be happy doing that either. I'd feel like a fraud saying it.
It just felt odd to me. I thought I already had lifetime membership to Club Liz.

While we're at it, could someone fix the first few lines of the anthem (English version)?

"Our home and native land"?

If it was, I wouldn't be at this ceremony, would I?

"..in all our sons command"?

Sex discrimination.
Old May 11th 2007, 12:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That said, I suppose in this instance he does have a point, Canada is about multi-culturalism; if people here want to be loyal to the Queen, or the Pope, or Osama bin Laden, or <struggles to think of a well known Canadian> or even Hitler, it's all equal, an oath to the Queen doesn't really make sense in the Canadian context.
The Queen is Queen of Canada and hence is a Canadian.
Old May 11th 2007, 12:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JAJ
then maybe the Queen is, in a way, a well known Canadian, but she's not well known for being a Canadian. Asked to name one, I think more people would name Celine Dion than the Queen.
Old May 11th 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But not an Australian, at least according to the 1995 Commonwealth Parliamentary Library cited on wikipedia. According to them:

"The Queen does not fall within the categories of citizenship by birth, adoption, descent, or grant listed in the Australian Citizenship Act 1948. All Australian citizens are subjects of the Queen in right of Australia. The Queen cannot be her own subject, as one only exists in relation to the other, and the two cannot as such be combined."

Not sure about this really, but it's interesting enough.
Old May 11th 2007, 12:42 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

It just felt odd to me. I thought I already had lifetime membership to Club Liz.
Yay. We happy few. Etc. *cough*

"..in all our sons command"?

Sex discrimination.
Outrageous. Militaristic too. That's it, I'm moving to Aus... ah, bugger.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

No oath, no Canada I say.

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfill my duties as a Canadian citizen."

What is so hard about that? You want to live here then aknowledge your head of state and Canadian law. Simple.

Some people. So ungreatful.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah................I almost forgot.............."GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!"

Have nice day Y'all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.