NewFounland

Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:25 am
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough
Smile NewFounland

Just wondering if theres anyone here, from Newfoundland, st johns area placentia bay?

We are possibly looking are moving there and would just like to know what family life is like, schools, shopping etc?

Any info would be greatly received
Old Apr 13th 2008, 4:31 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NewFounland

There are a few of use out here in Newfoundland!

Bit of a difference between St John's and Placentia bay. St John's is the capital of the province - largish population (about 200 000), all the facilities etc. Placentia bay about an hour away, small town ( couple of thousand if that from what I remember). Do you know for definite which one you are going to, or is it going to be a choice?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

As Jane says, there is a world of difference between Placentia (the town and the bay) and St Johns, the city and surrounding area. I would imagine that where you can get work will have the most influence on where you are able to live, unless of course you don't need to work.

We believe that Newfoundland offers a great place to raise kids, although we don't have any as yet. But then I'm married to a Newfoundlander so perhaps have a slightly different perspective on the place than people just moving here with no connection to the place. Certainly, St John';s and surrounding areas has much to offer in terms of space, affordability, fresh air, ocean views etc etc. The city has good restaurants, an excellent pub and bar scene and reasonable shopping. On the flipside, Newfoundland is more isolated from the rest of the world than say, Nova Scotia & travel off and on, the Rock is expensive compared to elsewhere in Canada.

I guess we'd need to know a little more about the what and why you are considering moving here to offer further advice. The BE posting population of Newfoundland has grown 300%* in the past 12 months so there must be something about the place.

* there was just me, now theres 4 of us!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:39 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to a previous discussion on Newfoundland (saves me and Atlantic typing it again!)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506393
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

jessiejames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiggerLottie
Just wondering if theres anyone here, from Newfoundland, st johns area placentia bay?

We are possibly looking are moving there and would just like to know what family life is like, schools, shopping etc?

Any info would be greatly received
dear friend,
have lived in st johns nfld, close on 32 yrs, and i assure you it is a delightfull place.
i am from nottingham uk, and is without a doubt the smartest move i ever made, the other posts are i assure you are accurate.
is it possible to give me a po box number, i will send you a regular copy of the evening telegram good luck
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:17 am
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough

Hi there

Thanks for all your replies,

It would possibly be St Johns we would be looking at, as we have 2 teenage children, and coming from a town in NZ with no shopping malls and an hours drive to anything remotely good, i dont want to end up stuck in a town with 1 supermarket, ridicuiously priced clothes and nothing else, we have no hospitals and its horrid.

Friends of ours who are currently living in France, are also looking at moving there, as he is a subsea engineer and is hoping to secure a job there.

My husband is an Automotive Service Technician and has worked for 10 years of his career on plant vehicles and various other vehicles, including snow blowers and stuff as we live near 3 ski fields so hes pretty much hands on and knowledgeable.

Cheers
Tigger