New Brunswick info

Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Kastell will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Brunswick info

Thanks Pennyhp, will pm you .
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:16 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kastell
It sounds a bit like Scotland! I remember camping holidays up there & being eaten alive by mosquitos!! Is it as bad as Scotland?
I went camping around Loch Ness and it is probably the only place in the UK that is similar to Canada's Mosquitos
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been bitten by a mosquito.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:22 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele
I've never been bitten by a mosquito.
YOu should sell your sweat/blood as a repellant! You could make a fortune!!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:07 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
YOu should sell your sweat/blood as a repellant! You could make a fortune!!
I bet if you walked around my garden you'd be bitten repeatedly within a minute.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:08 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

I've never understood why most of the UK doesn't get mosqitoes? I'm not talking about those silly little midges you get over there. You'd think it would be an ideal breeding ground for them.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

I'll pack plenty of repellent when we come over for our reccie!

Can anyone give me some information about the school curriculum in NB? Is French taught equally to English, is there a good balance of sport, music, art with academic studies? Are there after school clubs? I've been searching the forum with no luck, so any links, info would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

davidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone give me some information about the school curriculum in NB? Is French taught equally to English, is there a good balance of sport, music, art with academic studies? Are there after school clubs? I've been searching the forum with no luck, so any links, info would be greatly appreciated!
My girlfriend or "common law partner" grew up in Fredericton, NB so she'll be able to answer a lot of your questions I bet. PM me your email address and I'll get her to contact you.

Fredericton is a really nice place to visit if you're planning a recce trip.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

hi we moved here with our 4 kids from france in jan 2010 they go to a french speaking school and have a good balance of academic lessons and music sport ect they much prefer the schooling here to the heaviness of the school in france and have really improved since we have been here getting good grades ect, there are plenty of sports after school to join and they are not overloaded with homework, there are also english schools in moncton but not an option for us with the kids being fluent i wanted to keep them in french school, i also find the teachers and the head very open to speak with and find they are very interested in making sure the kids are settled happy ect, coming from rural france ourselves this area is big enough for us with out being too much, our kids still have the freedom they had in france and we love living by the sea again like we used to in the uk
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:08 pm
Happy in NB

Dont bother bringing repellent UK stuff is too mild. When you get here buy some Off! that will work better.

There are two school systems here. French and English are equal.

have you tried Fredericton High School website? Also Theatre New Brunswick get involved with the local schools
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies & links, Puggirl you have made me happy, it's good to hear that your kids are happier with their Canadian school!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:52 pm
Happy in NB

My Eldest daught was 18 when we landed and I think she has had the hardest time, my youngest was 15 and she went to Fredericton High School.

Both have told their mother that they wouldnt dream of moving back to the UK.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 12:31 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Dont bother bringing repellent UK stuff is too mild. When you get here buy some Off! that will work better.

There are two school systems here. French and English are equal.

have you tried Fredericton High School website? Also Theatre New Brunswick get involved with the local schools
Strongest stuff we have had has been Boots 50% Deet, so I'd have to disagree with you there.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:03 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Tangram
Strongest stuff we have had has been Boots 50% Deet, so I'd have to disagree with you there.
Really? I am surprised, my MIL brought her stuff from Boots and the Mossies here licked it off before biting. I guess she didnt by the Tropical version

I remember some stuff I had in the Army (came in little plastic bottles) not sure how much DEET it contained but needless to say after applying the repellant if you picked up a pen the plastic barrel instantly started to melt (and we were rubbing it all over any exposed skin)
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

dudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant future

Hi

We moved here ( Fredericton ) exactly 2 years ago from Shropshire and my girls are now 10, 9 and 8 years. Took some time to get my head around the school system in NB as it's bilingual but as far as I see it, here is a synopsis:
2 education systems (Elementary):
English schools & French schools which come under 2 separate education systems http://www.gnb.ca/0000/sp-e.asp within the provincial dept of education.
English school: Here the children start aged 5 in Kindergarten and, until Grade 3, study in the english language with a little french culture thrown in. In grade 3, parents have a choice to allow their child to study in the French immersion system ie learn french and after 4 months converse and study all day in french ( they do have a daily english lesson and english reading) or they can continue in the english ( anglophone ) system. In this anglophone system the child, on reaching grade 5, starts a 5 month intensive french course (like the immersion) then they revert back to english ( with some lessons in french ) for the rest of the year til June.
French school: Now my children are not in the French school here in Fred' but it is completely french, I dont know if they do any english lessons at all in their studies but I do know that even at recess ( break-time) they are expected to speak french even if their first language is english.

Hope this helps - ask me more q's if you like or PM me - let me know if you want to chat in town if you decide to visit Fred'.

Best wishes
Kathy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.