Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Brunswick info

New Brunswick info

Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Kastell will become famous soon enough
Default New Brunswick info

Hi all, before booking flights to NB, we would like to find out some more information about the province, I have already read quite a bit on this forum and done internet searches but information about the weather is a bit vague! I expect that as NB covers a large area the the weather varies from place to place. So far the South / S.East looks appealing to us (Sussex). How much snow do you get on average & for how long, also how hot does it get in the Summer?

Also I've read that the flies / mosquitos can be a problem, is it really bad? We are outdoors people, keep horses etc.

What is the job market like at the moment, hubbies in the building trade. We should be eligible for a visa, already looked into that, before anyone mentions this!

Any info / links much appreciated !
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick info

Originally Posted by Kastell
Hi all, before booking flights to NB, we would like to find out some more information about the province, I have already read quite a bit on this forum and done internet searches but information about the weather is a bit vague! I expect that as NB covers a large area the the weather varies from place to place. So far the South / S.East looks appealing to us (Sussex). How much snow do you get on average & for how long, also how hot does it get in the Summer?

Also I've read that the flies / mosquitos can be a problem, is it really bad? We are outdoors people, keep horses etc.

What is the job market like at the moment, hubbies in the building trade. We should be eligible for a visa, already looked into that, before anyone mentions this!

Any info / links much appreciated !
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc....h1=0&month2=12
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:38 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the best place to live in Canada with a roaring economy. As an additional bonus it has the discountiest coupons.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
As an additional bonus it has the discountiest coupons.
There's a thread on cost of living in Nova Scotia.

You will notice in that thread that while some people aren't bothered about what they pay for groceries, people in the Maritimes quite like to pay less than is usual for their essentials. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Some people, perhaps deliberately, mistake this as having something to do with coupons.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

If i remember correctly Sussex has a Country and Western bar where you get to play "Dodge the Flying Bottles" for real
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

Summers can be hot, mid 20s to high 30s with the humidex. The humidity was what really surprised me last summer. Winters are long and snowy, not as cold as somewhere like Alberta but still chilly and we get a lot more snow.

If you haven't been to visit already, I'd definitely recommend taking a trip to Sussex before deciding on it. In the winter you would probably feel quite cut of from the main 3 cities and other than a Canadian Tire I don't think there is much else there. Oh and according to a sign at a gas station down there it's the dairy capital of the Maritimes.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There's a thread on cost of living in Nova Scotia.

You will notice in that thread that while some people aren't bothered about what they pay for groceries, people in the Maritimes quite like to pay less than is usual for their essentials. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Some people, perhaps deliberately, mistake this as having something to do with coupons.

In spite of the cost of living, its still popular.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies & the weather link, very helpful! We are planning a visit out to NB & NS, firstly to see if we like it there & before deciding on any area in particular. I am used to paying higher prices for groceries than in the UK, also coupons, deal days etc, but to counter this we have a decent size veggie plot here, hubby goes shooting etc for the freezer & we plan to continue do this if we decide NB / NS is for us. Also understand that the recession is worldwide, so wouldn't expect a roaring trade!

Having already moved country once, we definitely do not have rose tinted glasses, we have also already visited the other side of Canada, so know that places may look close to each other on a map but in reality maybe hours apart!! We love the quiet country life (are definitely not city lovers!) but don't want to be isolated or cut off in the Winter as we have a young son, so need a school nearby, also we still need to work.

Any suggestions of places to visit would be appreciated .
Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

One of my cats is from Sussex, NB. She's a bit dim.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:33 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
A life changing post, that is.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:50 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

The flies / mosquitoes are savage in NB - worst we've ever encountered, and chomp away night and day for the majority of the non-snowy days.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:16 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence

On of my daughters dogs is from Bathurst and he was definitely hidding behind the door when they passed out the brain cells. However he does understand the command to sit in both English and French!

Bilingual dog..... he should have the pick of the job market
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:20 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
The flies / mosquitoes are savage in NB - worst we've ever encountered, and chomp away night and day for the majority of the non-snowy days.
Personally the four-engined Mosquito's out west (Fort Wainwright) seemed to be much more vicious. I remember any exposed skin was instantly attacked and the level of DEET needed to keep them off rendered it impossible to touch anything made of plastic (it just melted in your hand).

But I concede Black Fly are mean and nasty, season coming to an end. The mosquito season is ramping up (to fill the blood sucking niche) and if Environment Canada is correct about having a long hot summer the mossie days should be numbered (they need standing water to breed see).

We have a mosquito catcher and it keeps the back garden bearable with a little preventative coil burning etc... Today I didnt apply any Off! and I received only a couple of bites during the afternoon while gardening.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

It sounds a bit like Scotland! I remember camping holidays up there & being eaten alive by mosquitos!! Is it as bad as Scotland?
Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We moved to NB (Moncton area) 4 years ago.
We have a small hobby farm and keep horses, chickens, llamas etc.

Weather:
Snow: We get a fair amount but the roads are kept well celared. With animals and a barn a good snow blower is a must. We don't have a tractor but it would be a huge help if we did, for the snow clearing.
Cold: The coldest we get down here in the south of NB is around minus 30 on occassions. But that is considered very cold and we don't get it that often.

Heat. Summer I think is similar to that of the south coast of england where I am from. Maybe a little more humid at times.

Bugs. June bugs not May bugs as they come out later.
All the ususal horse flies and those bluebottle things. And of course the mosquitoes. They are bad here compared to the UK, but they are everywhere in Canada so I don't think here is worse than anywhere else.

The Moncton/Dipeppe/Riverview area is growing at a fair pace. There seems to be a lot of construction on the go. We don't seem to have faired too badly in the global reccession here, at least it hasn't affected us personally.
Property prices havn't dipped noticibly, but then we havn't had the fast growth of some other places so it all seems to be on a fairly even keel.

Not sure if there is anything else I can tell you. If you want to know more about the keeping of horses here I will be happy to fill you in with my experience.

Penny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.