Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to St.John's

Moving to St.John's

Old Aug 10th 2019, 12:49 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to St.John's

Originally Posted by aw194
So, if I didn't make the 450 on that program, what does that mean? Are there alternatives, does it mean a continuously renewed work visa is the only option?.

Cheers, AW.
Have you looked into the Newfoundland provincial nomination programme?

Also, on insurance I found this thread which might be of interest: Car Insurance NL

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Aug 10th 2019 at 12:57 am.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 6:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So, if I didn't make the 450 on that program, what does that mean? Are there alternatives, does it mean a continuously renewed work visa is the only option?.

Cheers, AW.
You may not be able to renew your work permit indefinitely anyway, that's definitely not something to rely on. LMIA's are so tough to get, I know yours has been granted now, but it could be very different in 2 years. I would recommend you have a strategy to apply for PR and do so as soon as you are eligible, so you have PR before your first work permit expires.

If you didn't get enough points for an invite under Express Entry, then you'll need to look at other options. Without knowing more about you it's hard to suggest what those might be, what is the job you'll be doing and what qualifications do you have?

HTH.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 4:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Do have a look at the Atlantic Provinces Pilot Program... that may be your route to success for PR..

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-program.html

https://www.gov.nl.ca/immigration/im...ogram/workers/

I echo what Christmasoompa said above - what is your profession?

Old Aug 10th 2019, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

aw194 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Christmasoompa and Siouxie.

The info that has come up on here has been invaluable, I'd naively thought getting a job leapfrogged me passed the requirement to fill in a PR request and it just happened. In the UK is does for EU citizens after 5 years, maybe after the UK exits the EU we get the whole CANZUK thing sorted and it will! � ����

I think the Atlantic Immigration Programme is the most likely route, but have read about the NL Provincial Nominee Programme also. I'm checking with the employer on these now. The profession is Software Developer.

Andy.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 7:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Christmasoompa and Siouxie.

The info that has come up on here has been invaluable, I'd naively thought getting a job leapfrogged me passed the requirement to fill in a PR request and it just happened. In the UK is does for EU citizens after 5 years, maybe after the UK exits the EU we get the whole CANZUK thing sorted and it will! ������

I think the Atlantic Immigration Programme is the most likely route, but have read about the NL Provincial Nominee Programme also. I'm checking with the employer on these now. The profession is Software Developer.

Andy.
The Atlantic Pilot Program is incorporated in the NL Provincial Nominee Program - it's one route for PNP of several... but it's one that is easier to qualify for - if your employer does, you probably will do! The other 2 PNP (for you) would be Express Entry or Skilled Worker... which is the one that you would be more likely to qualify for (other than the APP) https://www.gov.nl.ca/immigration/im...killed-worker/

What working in Canada will do for you is give you extra points for Express Entry or potentially additional routes for a PNP / PR application.. no leapfrogging available regardless of what country you come from.

It's highly unlkely that Canada would change the Immigration regulations just for Brits - Brexit or no, there's no need for them to do so, it's a popular country that people worldwide want to immigrate to. Canada has a fair system - you either qualify for one of the many routes or you don't!