Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Holding funds in a Canadian bank or in a UK bank but in CAD before having a visa

Holding funds in a Canadian bank or in a UK bank but in CAD before having a visa

Old Jul 30th 2019, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holding funds in a Canadian bank or in a UK bank but in CAD before having a visa

Hi there today's drop in exchange rate has left me chasing my tail once more with regards settlement funds being in my account for 90 days prior to submitting a pnp application.

Is there anyway as a British citizen with nothing other than an entry in the FST pool I can get a bank account to store Canadian dollars in and remove the uncertainty of our plummeting exchange rate (and the fact it may plummet even more with a no deal brexit).

I know if I get a visa or PR I can open an account prior to landing, but was wondering if there was anything I could get without either.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holding funds in a Canadian bank or in a UK bank but in CAD before having a

You can open a Canadian bank account while still in the UK relatively easily. You will find that you can deposit funds to that account before coming to Canada, but that you cannot make any form of withdrawals from it before you present yourself to a branch and produce the relevant ID. At least that was the way it was when I did this almost 13 years ago.

As soon as ID was presented, I was able to leave with debit cards and credit cards. My wife had to do the same a few months later. I did so before we had any form of visa. My wife did so after our landing trip.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 3:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holding funds in a Canadian bank or in a UK bank but in CAD before having a

https://www.rbc.com/newcomers/permanent-residents-in-canada.html#moving
and https://online.royalbank.com/apply/n...t/app/faq.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-c...k-account.html
RBC
I do not live in Canada, How do I open an account?
If you are a Canadian resident, but don’t currently live in Canada, you can open an account using this online application tool.
If you’re not a Canadian resident, you can apply for an account using our non-resident application. Simply tell us that you are not a Canadian resident by answering NO when asked within the tool.
Most of the banks will offer a similar service - you can read more on different banks (with links to main websites and newcomer packages) here: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Banking-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 31st 2019 at 3:58 am.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

weves is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look at HSBC. It's quite easy to open additional accounts in different currencies within the UK. All you want is to fix the rate right, move funds to Canada later. Even easier if you can open a linked HSBC account in Canada later.

For all I know, many banks do the same, but HSBC prides itself on being global so it's more visible than most.

As for getting a good exchange rate, I used currencyfair.com registered in Ireland, I've used them for more than 10 years.

Last edited by weves; Aug 11th 2019 at 8:40 pm.