Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Moving here for the kids"

"Moving here for the kids"

Old Apr 7th 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Moving here for the kids"

[QUOTE=scotdownunder;11612723][QUOTE=Eddmac;11612121]be in early, go home late,

In a lot of companies 'being in early/going home late' can totally backfire - it often just implies you are poor at time management.
Managers out of your direct reporting line may not appreciate you are going above and beyond the call of duty, and volunteering to take on extra work (and in fact may not care who is doing what as long as it gets done) but the fact they can see that you are toiling before and after everyone else just makes it seem you are slower than them.
Scott - how many companies have you worked at where you witnessed this attitude from the management? Is this what they told you, or just your assumption based on lack of knowledge?

As a current manager (and I have been a manager in more than one company) I know how much work is being done by each of my staff, as I have many ways of measuring them. I admit that I work in a technical field (engineering) and it may be easier to evaluate than in some of the jobs mentioned earlier in this thread, but when a guy/gal is coming in earlier/staying later and, crucially, getting more work done, I know about it, appreciate it and reward it.

I would never assume that a person coming in early/staying late is bad at time management and slower than everyone else, just because they are putting in more hours. Sure I would check what they are doing - then it would be obvious this guy/gal is a star and not a moron, which is what you are implying and that's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Eddmac;11612757][QUOTE=scotdownunder;11612723]
Originally Posted by Eddmac
be in early, go home late,

Scott - how many companies have you worked at where you witnessed this attitude from the management? Is this what they told you, or just your assumption based on lack of knowledge?

I would never assume that a person coming in early/staying late is bad at time management and slower than everyone else, just because they are putting in more hours. Sure I would check what they are doing - then it would be obvious this guy/gal is a star and not a moron, which is what you are implying and that's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.
Wow, that's rather a condescending tone to take don't you think?

I have worked in a few companies, including large multinationals where that has been the case.

I have also worked in management positions where the managers above me have not cared who does what as long as targets get met.

(And can I just clarify I am not talking about exceptional circumstances where the workload has been increased or a special project has been taken on and everyone is expected to pitch in. I am talking about the person who is always in early leaving late when nobody else is. )

In an ideal world hard work is recognised and rewarded but this is not an ideal world.

(BTW talking about lack of knowledge and assumptions my name is not Scott - a)I'm female (as you can see by that little Venus symbol beside my username) and b) my username is scotdownunder )
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:41 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: "Moving here for the kids"

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's the funniest thing I've heard all year!
You mean James & I were the only two attendees to have debilitating, 3 -month hangovers?

You guys are hardcore.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=scotdownunder;11612780][QUOTE=Eddmac;11612757]
Originally Posted by scotdownunder

Wow, that's rather a condescending tone to take don't you think?

I have worked in a few companies, including large multinationals where that has been the case.

I have also worked in management positions where the managers above me have not cared who does what as long as targets get met.

(And can I just clarify I am not talking about exceptional circumstances where the workload has been increased or a special project has been taken on and everyone is expected to pitch in. I am talking about the person who is always in early leaving late when nobody else is. )

In an ideal world hard work is recognised and rewarded but this is not an ideal world.

(BTW talking about lack of knowledge and assumptions my name is not Scott - a)I'm female (as you can see by that little Venus symbol beside my username) and b) my username is scotdownunder )
Apologies for upsetting you - wasn't intending to be condescending, I'm looking at this on my phone, so can't see all the symbols and didn't realise there was only one 'T' and you were a 'bonny lass' and not a 'surfer dude' etc so no need to get so upset eh?

I was genuinely interested in the answer to the question, as lots of people comment on things where they have no knowledge/experience but are basing their response on supposition. If you say you have experienced this attitude, then that's really unfortunate for you, or maybe I have been really fortunate that I have worked in companies where the management are interested in doing a good job, rather than simply putting their time in. At least you seem to have had the sense to move on and I hope your current employer has a better attitude?

I feel that there is always an opportunity for someone to shine - this means going above and beyond what would normally be expected by a person in a certain position. This can take many different forms, the emphasis shouldn't be on the specific I mentioned (extra hours) but the fact that it is more than would be expected from someone in that position.

As you are a manager - what would you look for in your star people? how would you reward them? - do you even care? How do you keep your staff motivated and performing above the average?

The whole point here is that people were asking how to better themselves and the only answer given was to get a degree and that if you don't have one, don't even bother. I am trying, based on my experience to give alternatives, think I'm going to give up now lol

While I appreciate that it won't work for everyone, or for every scenario, if it helps even one person better themselves, I will be happy and I'm not going to apologise for disagreeing with the consensus. Maybe you should be more worried about giving good advice and helping, rather than being annoyed that I thought you were a bloke.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 5:01 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Eddmac;11612812][QUOTE=scotdownunder;11612780]

I am trying, based on my experience to give alternatives, think I'm going to give up now lol
Phew.

This lack of brain power thing you spoke of is spreading across threads now
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Eddmac;11612812][QUOTE=scotdownunder;11612780]

Apologies for upsetting you - wasn't intending to be condescending, I'm looking at this on my phone, so can't see all the symbols and didn't realise there was only one 'T' and you were a 'bonny lass' and not a 'surfer dude' etc so no need to get so upset eh?

While I appreciate that it won't work for everyone, or for every scenario, if it helps even one person better themselves, I will be happy and I'm not going to apologise for disagreeing with the consensus. Maybe you should be more worried about giving good advice and helping, rather than being annoyed that I thought you were a bloke.
I'm not upset, I do however think it is peculiar to immediately respond to a view that does not 100% agree with yours by making such sweeping statements about assumptions based on lack of knowledge and branding them one of the most ridiculous things you've ever heard.
Is that how you respond to your employees when they disagree with you?

Not annoyed by you thinking I'm a bloke either - just couldn't help but point out the incredible irony of you immediately making incorrect assumptions yourself - even when the information is there to contradict them. (and being a bonny lass and a surfer-dude (does anybody even use that phrase anymore ) are by no means mutually exclusive )

I was commenting on the specific you gave because that was the one there - couldn't comment on any other strategies you had in your head at the time of writing your comment.

My current job requires me to work/be on call round the clock with no possibility of promotion and no actual pay. Employer appreciates me though. Very happy thankyou. Best job in the world
Old Apr 7th 2015, 8:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What's with all the
[QUOTE=Eddmac;11612757][QUOTE=scotdownunder;11612723] everywhere?

Old Apr 7th 2015, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What's with all the xxxxxxxx everywhere?

It's called 'cocking up the quotes'...also known as 'Willmorising'...because she was always cocking up the quotes.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 7th 2015 at 9:54 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's called 'cocking up the quotes'...also known as 'Willmorising'...because she was always cocking up the quotes.
Oops, sorry I've never had that happen before they looked ok on my phone/the post preview
Old Apr 8th 2015, 12:04 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can just go to work on time and do a good job while you are there. Then leave on time to go home to family or out with friends, both perhaps. Msybe enjoy a hobby. Have a well rounded life and hopefully your boss isn't a tosspot who has a method of measuring how much work you do and when you do it.

Last edited by bats; Apr 8th 2015 at 1:53 am.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:18 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Got you can just go to work on time and do a good job while you are there. Then leave on time to go home to family or out with friends, both perhaps. Msybe enjoy a hobby. Have a well rounded life and hopefully your boss isn't a tosspot who has a method of measuring how much work you do and when you do it.
Yeah spreadsheet managers are usually pretty useless at pitching in and helping the team.

Perhaps if EddMac got of his excel and pitched in he wouldn't require his staff to start early and finish late.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Got you can just go to work on time and do a good job while you are there. Then leave on time to go home to family or out with friends, both perhaps. Msybe enjoy a hobby. Have a well rounded life and hopefully your boss isn't a tosspot who has a method of measuring how much work you do and when you do it.
Yes.

I've got 8 hours to do 2 hours of work, easy to measure my performance, if its not done, the hotel can't do any transactions since it will still be on the previous business day...

My job exists for 2 reasons, a hotel needs somebody there to watch the place overnight, and to do some basic account balancing, and to print a few reports so the accountants have an easier job.

I am not an accountant, so I am not about to take it upon myself to try and do the accountants work which is essentially the only extra work, I could possibly do. I can audit the reports to ensure they are accurate, but I certainly cannot do whatever it is accountants do with all the numbers and reports.

It is completely impossible in my line of work to possibly do any of things suggested, well I could stay late and come in early, but there would be no work, and the manager wouldn't be happy to see me there.

My last job, I worked alone (boss was 100km away in Vancouver) and my job was to drive around 3 parking lots for 10 hours, and write a ticket if a car say didn't pay for parking, there was no extra work to do, or any ability to stay late or come in early, what point would there be to stay late, there would be no work to do that would benefit the company.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 8th 2015 at 1:26 am.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 2:04 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Yeah spreadsheet managers are usually pretty useless at pitching in and helping the team.

Perhaps if EddMac got of his excel and pitched in he wouldn't require his staff to start early and finish late.
It all seems rather workhouselike to me. This talk of 0people "bettering themselves" , working extra unpaid hours to impress the ever-watching boss. I hope they don't have to stand and turn the images of the ledger.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 2:16 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes.

I've got 8 hours to do 2 hours of work, easy to measure my performance, if its not done, the hotel can't do any transactions since it will still be on the previous business day...

My job exists for 2 reasons, a hotel needs somebody there to watch the place overnight, and to do some basic account balancing, and to print a few reports so the accountants have an easier job.

I am not an accountant, so I am not about to take it upon myself to try and do the accountants work which is essentially the only extra work, I could possibly do. I can audit the reports to ensure they are accurate, but I certainly cannot do whatever it is accountants do with all the numbers and reports.

It is completely impossible in my line of work to possibly do any of things suggested, well I could stay late and come in early, but there would be no work, and the manager wouldn't be happy to see me there.

My last job, I worked alone (boss was 100km away in Vancouver) and my job was to drive around 3 parking lots for 10 hours, and write a ticket if a car say didn't pay for parking, there was no extra work to do, or any ability to stay late or come in early, what point would there be to stay late, there would be no work to do that would benefit the company.
You ever thought about working in a pub?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 7:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes.

Have you actually thought to doing accountancy degree? Your work would seem to give the perfect opportunity to study. I worked as a security guard for awhile as an undergraduate and it was great as I got all my reading in on my shift.