Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: So which part of Canada?

Moved: So which part of Canada?

Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:44 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: So which part of Canada?

It's a shame that bloody great mountain is in the way of the view.

Here in Manitoba we don't have that problem thank goodness, we can see for miles, & miles, & miles, & miles.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:46 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

well, i never thought i'd end up at the pacific coast - and that i would love it that much! not that long ago (but before i considered emigrating to canada as a serious option) quebec seemed so much closer - geographically, historically, linguistically... but here i am - at the pacific coast. call it an accident if you like. i guess instead of moving step by step westwards like other people do i just jumped in one go where i belong to.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Here's another reason ....

ps yes that is fresh snow - pics taken yesterday!
Very nice indeed.

Is that Moraine Lake?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

We didn't really consider WHICH part of Canada. Came here, liked it.

Since then though we have looked at various other parts (TV, internet, weather channel etc) and been VERY glad we chose here.

lovely photos...but where are you in Canada..??
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Morwenna is in Calgary.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 5:54 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Yep we live in Calgary, and yes that is Moraine Lake, which is just up the hill from Lake Louise in the Rockies.

We stayed at the Lodge there. Gorgeous weekend away, even if the weather could've been kinder!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

dollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the replies. When I said historical I meant houses of around 100 or more years old, and beach as in edge of a sea, but near to any water be it lake, river, would be fantastic!
susan uk.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't really consider WHICH part of Canada. Came here, liked it.

Since then though we have looked at various other parts (TV, internet, weather channel etc) and been VERY glad we chose here.

great pics- how was your weekend at the lodge. it looked fab!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Looked at a map, picked the most southerly part. Bingo.
Can you imagine what the house prices would be like in Windsor if everyone did that? Or for that matter the crime rate? Or the soaring underage pregnancies? Or the vagrants? Or the unemployment rate?
My god it would become another Calgary!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:33 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So which part of Canada?

Originally Posted by rwin
I'll disagree with that. You just have to know where to find it. As far as I know, people have been living here for 10,000 years. A pretty significant history.

And then it depends what kind of history your looking for. About an hour and a half drive east from Calgary the earth has been carved out by by a river revealing millions of years of history.

If you go about that far west of Calgary, another result of geography has pushed a sea bed 1000's of feet above sea level. The stuff you find in there didn't happen yesterday either.

So...

We have plenty of history here. It just doen't come in the form of castles.
When our Canadian cousins were here in July they never stopped going on and on about how lucky we were that we could trace our history back thousands of years....they near had a heartattack while visiting Edinburgh Castle and other places when they hopped over to Scotland for a quick visit.

So there definitely is a lot of truth in what Iaink says...sorry rwin
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:35 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So which part of Canada?

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
That is a point that iaink has made scores of times on this forum. Note the that he placed next to his statement.

Sometimes you have to know a poster's history on the forum to appreciate what they're saying.

Sometimes you have to understand British humour.

And often there is just no hope at all of understanding what's going on.
Ahhh...Judy I fear this is a lost cause unless the other person is also British.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:42 pm
ARH
Forum Regular

ARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant future

In choosing which part of Canada to live in, I went where the jobs are for my profession - just so happened to be an hours drive or so into the Rockies (and so far it seems to be a great place to live!)

Last edited by ARH; Aug 29th 2007 at 11:46 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollyhill
Hi all, how did you decide which part of Canada was best for you before applying, ( do you have to state which part you want to go to?).
We are looking for somewhere historical near water pref beach. Any info greatly recieved!
susan, hubby 2 kids and 1 dog, Lancashire, uk.
It was an easy decision. I met a girl from Newfoundland. She wasn't going to move back anywhere else was she?

Lots of history around here. Canada's youngest province but the first settled by Europeans. We also have sea and beaches. And fog. And snow. And wind. But when it's sunny (as it is today) there is no finer place to be.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

We have chosen Calgary for the time being as a) OH's former employer is still based there and he's been told he would be very welcome to return; and b) we have n number of rellies already living there or thereabouts (Airdrie, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge and Calgary itself). It has more blue sky days than most places, great green spaces with the best walk/cycle path system of any city in the world and best of all it's just 45 mins to Kananaskis, 60 mins to Banff and the glory of the mountains and those turquoise lakes.

Morwenna - we were up at Moraine Lake in May and are hoping we'll just get another visit in before Thanksgiving when they usually close the lodge and the access road ready for the x-country skiing.

Maple Leaf - my OH was BC-born so we almost chose Vancouver - close to mountains, the ocean and so on, but also lots and lots of rain... and the house prices were as bad as London UK. Fortunately OH also has rellies living in Victoria and Cowichan Bay so we have an excuse to get out to the islands once in a while for a complete change of pace. Where was that wonderful hiking path in your second photo?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Morwenna is in Calgary.
thank you very much....

and hey how are you..? is that photo you..?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.