Move to New Brunswick or???

Move to New Brunswick or???

Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Belfastfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to New Brunswick or???

Hi everyone,
New here, first post!
So for years now I've considered moving away from Belfast, where I live now. I got the travelling bug after 8 months in Australia in 2008. So fast forward 12 years I'm now married with 2 kids aged 2 and 6. I'm a fully qualified dental technician (University degree) and seems that our numbers are short all over the world!
Last year I seen a job on Facebook in New Brunswick, had to Google as I hadn't a clue where it was or is but now after a year of research I know more than most lol!!!
I've been now offered the job and have done my settlement plan, they say it won't be long and we'll be granted the AIPP visa?
So basically just wanting to hear other people's stories about New Brunswick now, we have sussed out Riverview as a place to live, my employer has said she will buy a place to set up a new denture clinic for me to work and for me and my family to live. The schools look good and riverview seems to have a nice community feel. Me and my wife have a decent life here in Northern Ireland but I'm always searching for something else and think Canada will offer alot more for my kids.
Look forward to hearing other people's similar stories
Thanks and look forward to replies
Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to New Brunswick or???

Originally Posted by Belfastfam
Hi everyone,
New here, first post!
So for years now I've considered moving away from Belfast, where I live now. I got the travelling bug after 8 months in Australia in 2008. So fast forward 12 years I'm now married with 2 kids aged 2 and 6. I'm a fully qualified dental technician (University degree) and seems that our numbers are short all over the world!
Last year I seen a job on Facebook in New Brunswick, had to Google as I hadn't a clue where it was or is but now after a year of research I know more than most lol!!!
I've been now offered the job and have done my settlement plan, they say it won't be long and we'll be granted the AIPP visa?
So basically just wanting to hear other people's stories about New Brunswick now, we have sussed out Riverview as a place to live, my employer has said she will buy a place to set up a new denture clinic for me to work and for me and my family to live. The schools look good and riverview seems to have a nice community feel. Me and my wife have a decent life here in Northern Ireland but I'm always searching for something else and think Canada will offer alot more for my kids.
Look forward to hearing other people's similar stories
Thanks and look forward to replies
Travelling bug is one thing but what makes you think it will offer a lot more for kids? I'm in the Republic of Ireland myself and there is so much available for kids, be it soccer, rugby, hiking, kayaking, cycling, surfing etc. It's safe, you are close to mainland Europe and plenty of jobs available. Like anywhere it's always down to location within the country, but I don't see why it would offer more for kids.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:46 am
Just Joined

I think it's the more oppertunities and the outdoorsy lifestyle... We really have 2 seasons here, yes I know Canada can be cold and gets alot of snow but that doesn't stop anything and the summers be good and warm. Maybe I'm a dreamer thinking it will be better than we have here but I don't want to get to 60 and think what if??? I am close to my family but my wife has very little holding her back though she is still a bit hesitant, thanks for reply
Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's the more oppertunities and the outdoorsy lifestyle... We really have 2 seasons here, yes I know Canada can be cold and gets alot of snow but that doesn't stop anything and the summers be good and warm. Maybe I'm a dreamer thinking it will be better than we have here but I don't want to get to 60 and think what if??? I am close to my family but my wife has very little holding her back though she is still a bit hesitant, thanks for reply
I've said this many times on the forum but I'll say it again. If you're not an outdoorsy kind of family, then moving to Canada isn't going to magically change that. If you don't go outside in the rain in Ireland, then you certainly won't go outside in -20 or when it's crazy hot and humid either.

Go for it as an adventure, or change of scene, or because you love Canada. Just don't expect your kids to suddenly be outside all the time if they're not that way inclined anyway. Have you visited before? Definitely worth doing before you spend £20k+ moving the family over.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 10:20 am
Just Joined

My kids love the outdoors, we don't get that many oppertunities as it's normally more wet than anything else. I have seen the freezing conditions but generally the Canadians deal with it and life goes on as norm to such an extent. We get a fall of snow and the country comes to a standstill!
We've never visited, hours and hours of research is as far as it goes.
I have a better chance of making alot more money for us out there too, the dental industry is mostly private and costs are alot more for dental appliances as alot of my work here is on the cheap side as its NHS.Cost of living seems pretty similar enough to the north of Ireland and it seems too an good oppertunity to not try in my eyes and we can always return, albeit it'll be hassle but I don't want that what if question down the line.... I'm just at the point of my life now where if I'm gonna do it I need to do it now (34)
Old Apr 21st 2020, 10:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My kids love the outdoors, we don't get that many oppertunities as it's normally more wet than anything else.
But that's my point - if rain stops you, excessive humidity or snow will too. We are an outdoorsy family, we were in Canada and we are in the UK too, we can have torrential rain but we'll still go for a 10 mile walk and the kids will still be out playing in the garden.

We've never visited, hours and hours of research is as far as it goes.
Definitely visit if you can, once all this craziness if over of course. There really is no point in spending so much on an international move if you get there and hate it.

Cost of living seems pretty similar enough to the north of Ireland
Most would say it's higher in NB, so might be worth double checking that. Don't use sites like Numbeo whatever you do (hopelessly inaccurate), but if you post your budget on here people that live in NB will be able to correct any of your figures if needed.

it seems too an good oppertunity to not try in my eyes and we can always return, albeit it'll be hassle but I don't want that what if question down the line.... I'm just at the point of my life now where if I'm gonna do it I need to do it now (34)
Totally agree with all of that. If you've got an employer prepared to sponsor you, then it's worth a go, and as you say you can always return if you hate it. Will the employer help with any of the costs, do they offer a good relocation package? That will make a big difference too if so.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 10:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Also, just in case you've not already discovered the search function, there are tons of threads that will be helpful for gauging how far your salary will go in Canada. Here's one just on groceries with tons of useful costs in - Groceries

Old Apr 21st 2020, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But that's my point - if rain stops you, excessive humidity or snow will too. We are an outdoorsy family, we were in Canada and we are in the UK too, we can have torrential rain but we'll still go for a 10 mile walk and the kids will still be out playing in the garden.

Definitely visit if you can, once all this craziness if over of course. There really is no point in spending so much on an international move if you get there and hate it.

Most would say it's higher in NB, so might be worth double checking that. Don't use sites like Numbeo whatever you do (hopelessly inaccurate), but if you post your budget on here people that live in NB will be able to correct any of your figures if needed.

Totally agree with all of that. If you've got an employer prepared to sponsor you, then it's worth a go, and as you say you can always return if you hate it. Will the employer help with any of the costs, do they offer a good relocation package? That will make a big difference too if so.
To be fair she's promised alot, she's tried and tried to get a dental technician and she's failed so it all depends on if she sticks to what she has promised and offered... They are wanting to invest in a new property to work out of so that will be a house for us to live. I own my own home in Belfast so will look to rent it for a year and see how we get on out there, that's the plan anyway
Old Apr 21st 2020, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest we're near Galway and I haven't seen a drop of rain for weeks now. It's been around 20c so why not enjoy and focus on what you have rather than trying to see the negative.I know people who also came back from Canada and complained about the weather vice versa and it really depends when you left and when you came back. If it's about weather, you could also just take the car ferry and spend a few weeks in the South of France during the summer or drive down to Spain when the virus is over, although we have it better than them right now. christmasoompa made some good points and do plenty of research. You're reaching a difficult age now and many people have the feeling they are missing out and then make mistakes. I know I will never go to the moon but can live with it. I really believe the outdoorsy thing is a myth and it's just because you might be in the wrong part of the country, or don't see what you have around you. We go out to the beaches or hiking every weekend and when I meet people from abroad (Germany, Spain, US etc.) they are all stunned what we have on our doorsteps. Thanks to not making another long distance move again, we saved money and bought a plot of land in Spain rather than spending it on another move.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 21st 2020 at 11:06 am.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

To be fair she's promised alot, she's tried and tried to get a dental technician and she's failed so it all depends on if she sticks to what she has promised and offered... They are wanting to invest in a new property to work out of so that will be a house for us to live. I own my own home in Belfast so will look to rent it for a year and see how we get on out there, that's the plan anyway
A good relocation package should form part of your contract, so make sure you get it in writing as promises don't mean anything!

And definitely a good idea to rent your home first just in case you don't like it, plus until you get Permanent Residency it's not worth risking either in case you get made redundant or similar and have to return to Ireland.

Best of luck to you.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:31 am
Just Joined

We're the same, no rain for weeks but this must be the first in years as normally Easter is poor...
We have beaches also, maybe it is my location just in Ireland, Belfast has its fair share of problems. You have made a decision harder for me but thanks for being realistic... I'll have to see the relocation package in detail
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:32 am
Just Joined

We're the same, no rain for weeks but this must be the first in years as normally Easter is poor...
We have beaches also, maybe it is my location just in Ireland, Belfast has its fair share of problems. You have made a decision harder for me but thanks for being realistic... I'll have to see the relocation package in detail

Thanks for your help, I won't be buying straight away, her words are the business will pay for the bukiding, I do believe there is plenty of oppertunity
Old Apr 21st 2020, 12:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for your help, I won't be buying straight away, her words are the business will pay for the bukiding, I do believe there is plenty of oppertunity
If you'll be living there as well, do just check out any tax implications for that. I've no idea, but it may be that it's treated as a taxable benefit, so worth starting a new thread to make sure it wouldn't impact you financially.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is nothing wrong researching the possibility but you should really go there at the worst time of the year and figure out what you really want. Can't comment too much about Belfast but I do feel the island has so much more to offer than you might think and unless the money is considerably more and the business is a guarantee for success, I don't see much more benefits in Moncton to be honest. I usually check the weather satellite early in the morning and most weekends are good for us and we just drive where it's best (A coffee in Killiney, a swim in Westport, a pint next to the lake in Killaloe) . I had a friend who complained about Moncton and thought it was like a graveyard compared to Galway and most I know would prefer Halifax compared to Moncton. Of course everyone will have a different opinion and depends where you're from and what you gain. I just think that there are a lot more opportunities for a dentist technician closer to home and why not consider that first. When was the last time you rented a caravan and took the overnight ferry for a long weekend in France (The kids would love that)?

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 21st 2020 at 12:32 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 2:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few like Riverview and if you drive it's really not far to get to Moncton for the main things - sports venues, concert venues, theatre, cinemas, University, colleges, government offices, restaurants etc

We really only get three seasons not four. There's very little Spring; very often I put the Air Conditioner on and then remember that "last week" I was still putting heating on.

We get a ton of snow but, as you say, we just carry on with life. Bizarrely we've just had a normal winter's snow but this just shows how deceptive weather stats can be. We have a guy with a truck and blade who pushes our snow up the drive to the garage. No-one in our family drives so we don't need it but I like to keep the front of the drive clear.

In a typical winter, the snow that the guy pushes will extend back along the drive about halfway. Once or twice it's reached the front of the house to the point that I worried that with another big snowfall it might impact getting from the front steps to the drive. A snowblower would have been needed then.

But this winter that pile of snow in front the garage remained just that. A pile of snow in front of the garage; maybe a quarter of the usual amount. Yet the stats show the usual amount of snow fell on us. It shows that sometimes a 30cm snowfall will add 30cm of snow "on the ground" while other times half of it may melt on contact or it will fall 6cm five days running and each one will be gone in a few hours.

You will need AC because it gets very humid. Lots of mosquitoes too. It's not like Europe where you really only have to be concerned by them between dusk and dawn; they're out 24/7.

Cost of living overall isn't too different to the UK but where parts of it might be higher, it can often be more than cancelled out by the lower cost of housing.

Be aware of unusual by-laws. You need a licence for a cat in Riverview but not in Moncton. Outside, cats are supposed to be on a leash. You may need a resident permit for parking on your street.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.