Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Move to New Brunswick or???

Move to New Brunswick or???

Old Apr 21st 2020, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Belfastfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move to New Brunswick or???

Thanks for the reply Bristol, are you in riverview yourself? Have you kids that attend school there?

Great info on the weather etc, I've only really found out today about the mosquitos lol, don't think it would be the difference between going or not going!

Alot of our work is nursing home based and I think there's 3 there so that's why my employer wants to open up a new business there and as you say it's just a short drive into the city...

Old Apr 21st 2020, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Belfastfam
Thanks for the reply Bristol, are you in riverview yourself? Have you kids that attend school there?

Great info on the weather etc, I've only really found out today about the mosquitos lol, don't think it would be the difference between going or not going!

Alot of our work is nursing home based and I think there's 3 there so that's why my employer wants to open up a new business there and as you say it's just a short drive into the city...
There is a reason that Canadian houses have screens on the windows to prevent mosquitoes getting in the house. Most homes have AC. I'm in Ottawa and the main reason for AC is to reduce the humidity levels in the house. Often times at night it can be 18-20 c overnight but 90% humidity which if the windows are open just makes the house very clammy in the morning.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 4:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

We're the same, no rain for weeks but this must be the first in years as normally Easter is poor...
We have beaches also, maybe it is my location just in Ireland, Belfast has its fair share of problems. You have made a decision harder for me but thanks for being realistic... I'll have to see the relocation package in detail

Thanks for your help, I won't be buying straight away, her words are the business will pay for the bukiding, I do believe there is plenty of oppertunity
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you'll be living there as well, do just check out any tax implications for that. I've no idea, but it may be that it's treated as a taxable benefit, so worth starting a new thread to make sure it wouldn't impact you financially.
As Christmasoompa mentioned - living accommodation (and any utilities) provided by an employer will be a taxable benefit. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...utilities.html

Old Apr 21st 2020, 6:21 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

But that's my point - if rain stops you, excessive humidity or snow will too. We are an outdoorsy family, we were in Canada and we are in the UK too, we can have torrential rain but we'll still go for a 10 mile walk and the kids will still be out playing in the garden.
Having lived in NB for several years now I tend to disagree. We were outdoorsy when we lived in the UK except when it rained. Here we still don't go out when it rains but we do go out when it snows except during a storm.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 6:29 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

My kids love the outdoors, we don't get that many oppertunities as it's normally more wet than anything else. I have seen the freezing conditions but generally the Canadians deal with it and life goes on as norm to such an extent. We get a fall of snow and the country comes to a standstill!
We've never visited, hours and hours of research is as far as it goes.
I have a better chance of making alot more money for us out there too, the dental industry is mostly private and costs are alot more for dental appliances as alot of my work here is on the cheap side as its NHS.Cost of living seems pretty similar enough to the north of Ireland and it seems too an good oppertunity to not try in my eyes and we can always return, albeit it'll be hassle but I don't want that what if question down the line.... I'm just at the point of my life now where if I'm gonna do it I need to do it now (34)
In your position, job and somewhere to live, I'd give it a try. If you don't like NB it will give you a chance to look around other areas and at least you won't always be wondering "what if?"
Old Apr 21st 2020, 6:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
We were outdoorsy when we lived in the UK except when it rained.
That’s not outdoorsy then IMO. You were ‘fair weather hikers/cyclists/campers/etc’.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

I agree there's a difference in going out in the snow and playing or going out on the driving rain, there's different activities you can do in these situations!
Lots to think about, I like everyone being realistic, my kids are young enough where its not going to disrupt them as my oldest is 6 in july.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 6:59 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Be aware of unusual by-laws. You need a licence for a cat in Riverview but not in Moncton. Outside, cats are supposed to be on a leash. You may need a resident permit for parking on your street.
Whao! Bristol you never told us about the cat licence! We don’t, but we do need a license for a chicken! There are some other funny ones too...

OP we moved to NB, Fredericton, in August 2012 so our 11 year old son could start 6th grade. l can’t believe he is now 19 and is presently in his bedroom doing his final end of 1st year Uni math exam online!

My husband is Canadian, but not from NB and wanted his son to grow up in Canada. I studied the hell out of the idea of moving here, checked the weather every day (the Fredericton web cams are good for that) I also came and spent a six week holiday in Moncton/Riverview/Dieppe/Fredericton the year before we set off...I could probably have got a job for Google as I knew so much of the place!

I had previously to motherhood travelled and worked most of my life abroad in Africa, Europe and the Middle East.

I am happy. I am not bliss filled, but I am content enough, and I have made this place work for my family - but it hasn’t always been easy.

Bristol was saying that this last winter hasn’t been bad, and he’s right, and I’m not ripping my hair out depressed, like
I have been some years. Sure I’ve got some snow in my garden, but it will go soon. I have a memory of an April here when it was snowing hard and we just didn’t know where to put it anymore, our snow banks kept collapsing as they were too high. It’s easy to say -30 with the windchill factor, but quite another matter sticking your body out into it. It’s a solid six months more often than not.

It’s an expensive move, emotionally and economically. There were a few years when I would have loved to have given up - I just didn’t know how! Grades 6 to 9 were unhappy ones for my son, kids here are many generations of NBers and they don’t welcome newcomers easily. Luckily he’s academically hardworking, and particularly good at track and field so he eventually found his level. My husband is wonderful on a daily basis, but even he has had quite long periods of not liking aspects of NB and Canadians in particular - we both think it’s utterly loathsome in February!

If you have a solid marriage and a very solid employment package, in writing, I’d give it a try as it sounds like you have an itch that you need to scratch. Could you not talk to your future employers and say that you want to visit first?

I don’t regret any of it now, but I didn’t think I’d ever be able to say that. This was not an easy move.

Very best of luck with your decision.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
Whao! Bristol you never told us about the cat licence! We don’t, but we do need a license for a chicken! There are some other funny ones too...

OP we moved to NB, Fredericton, in August 2012 so our 11 year old son could start 6th grade. l can’t believe he is now 19 and is presently in his bedroom doing his final end of 1st year Uni math exam online!

My husband is Canadian, but not from NB and wanted his son to grow up in Canada. I studied the hell out of the idea of moving here, checked the weather every day (the Fredericton web cams are good for that) I also came and spent a six week holiday in Moncton/Riverview/Dieppe/Fredericton the year before we set off...I could probably have got a job for Google as I knew so much of the place!

I had previously to motherhood travelled and worked most of my life abroad in Africa, Europe and the Middle East.

I am happy. I am not bliss filled, but I am content enough, and I have made this place work for my family - but it hasn’t always been easy.

Bristol was saying that this last winter hasn’t been bad, and he’s right, and I’m not ripping my hair out depressed, like
I have been some years. Sure I’ve got some snow in my garden, but it will go soon. I have a memory of an April here when it was snowing hard and we just didn’t know where to put it anymore, our snow banks kept collapsing as they were too high. It’s easy to say -30 with the windchill factor, but quite another matter sticking your body out into it. It’s a solid six months more often than not.

It’s an expensive move, emotionally and economically. There were a few years when I would have loved to have given up - I just didn’t know how! Grades 6 to 9 were unhappy ones for my son, kids here are many generations of NBers and they don’t welcome newcomers easily. Luckily he’s academically hardworking, and particularly good at track and field so he eventually found his level. My husband is wonderful on a daily basis, but even he has had quite long periods of not liking aspects of NB and Canadians in particular - we both think it’s utterly loathsome in February!

If you have a solid marriage and a very solid employment package, in writing, I’d give it a try as it sounds like you have an itch that you need to scratch. Could you not talk to your future employers and say that you want to visit first?

I don’t regret any of it now, but I didn’t think I’d ever be able to say that. This was not an easy move.

Very best of luck with your decision.

Wow wow wow... Scared me to say the least!
Its strange, some days I'm soo up for it and I'm away then other days I think how can I do that!
We have a good marriage, my wife is quite an anxious person but has showed strong interest in this, we're both young and as I said before we don't wanna be saying in years what if...
You spoke about the hard times and I have a feeling yous would be able to take alot more than us.

We planned a visit at Easter but with all the covid 19 stuff it's put us back, I think we really have to visit fordt even for a few days. We planned on getting over before September for the start of the new school year but who knows now.
My employer works alone, she has spoken about doing everything to suit us, pick my own hours, getting everyone settled and working from home. I've asked her for some sorta business plan tonight as it's all up in the air, she doesn't know when she'll be able to work again with evetthring going on.
Loving this feedback, thanks everyone

Old Apr 21st 2020, 7:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Bristol, are you in riverview yourself? Have you kids that attend school there?.
We're in Moncton. Pretty much essential for non-drivers. Public transport is very good this side of the river.

All the schools seem much the same. If you look at the "good schools" threads (for Canada) you get to see it's not the issue here that parents usually see elsewhere.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

That’s not outdoorsy then IMO. You were ‘fair weather hikers/cyclists/campers/etc’.
Ironically most people I know don't seem to be more outdoorsy in the heat, or let's say active. A lot of Spanish I know actually seem to prefer indoor sports and only go out when the sun goes down. We have German friends who visited us 2018 and they complained that it was too hot for hiking, so it seems people will always find a reason to complain.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I am outdoorsy - I live and work on a farm, even so I have a strong aversion to going out in the rain. Even our ducks aren't that keen.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 7:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The weather can get to you but I've reached the point where I'm okay with it now.

Worth noting that although the first snowfall that stays can be mid November and you can get snow in April it's not like you get 6 months of it. We had ridiculous levels of snow 2014-15 but since then we've had 2 or 3 Green Christmases.

Vancouver aside I always thought Canada was much the same for snow. After a few years of clearing the snow off the drive with shovels only to see the city plow clear the street but put another snow bank at the end of the drive and deciding to start clearing steps and drive while it was still snowing - because it seemed easier to clear 6" three times than 18" once - I discovered that the cities around Lake Ontario had much less snow than we did and I started to think about moving.

But a couple of years on I reasoned that our extra snowfall represented just a couple more storms or maybe an extra couple of inches per storm and that it didn't actually make much of a difference. I mean it's really hard work if you're shovelling it yourself but if you have a snowblower or you use a contractor (the best option if you can afford it) then you're much less affected by it.

And now I only have to do the steps it takes a lot of weight off your shoulders.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes have to laugh when we talk about the weather in Canada especially when a lot of us live in places where we get extremes be it plus 30 C in Summer and minus 40C in winter. I don't agree with the thought of we get used to it and are OK with it it is more of a we have no ****ing choice so have to deal with it. Today as an example half of the country is getting sun with nearly plus 20C temps while the other half is dealing with flurries, high winds and snow and rain.
Simple answer is I have never heard of anyone moving to Canada because of the weather.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

My kids love the outdoors, we don't get that many oppertunities as it's normally more wet than anything else. I have seen the freezing conditions but generally the Canadians deal with it and life goes on as norm to such an extent. We get a fall of snow and the country comes to a standstill!
We've never visited, hours and hours of research is as far as it goes.
I have a better chance of making alot more money for us out there too, the dental industry is mostly private and costs are alot more for dental appliances as alot of my work here is on the cheap side as its NHS.Cost of living seems pretty similar enough to the north of Ireland and it seems too an good oppertunity to not try in my eyes and we can always return, albeit it'll be hassle but I don't want that what if question down the line.... I'm just at the point of my life now where if I'm gonna do it I need to do it now (34)
I am from Norn Iron myself and been in Nova Scotia for 3.5 years now. Can't say I have loved it all, especially the lack of spring weather (I am getting pictures of people wandering the coast from Bangor to Groomsport and there are bluebells and daffodils, whereas here it is currently sleeting and the buds are only beginning to appear here.). BUT, if you have a great opportunity, and a decent way to head back if it doesn't work out, then I think you should just go for it. You will also likely find a greater appreciation for how good our wee country is. All the best with the move, when it can happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.