Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Move to New Brunswick or???

Move to New Brunswick or???

Old Apr 25th 2020, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to New Brunswick or???

Ultimately, you have to treat this as a business deal. It's not very romantic to say that but it's true.

How do the finances of the move stack up? It's fun to say "spirit of adventure" and "positive attitudes" make or break a move but that's very naive. Cold, hard cash is going to be what determines if this is a success or not. You have stated the economics for your situation are more favourable in Canada.

You have a job offer which is a major obstacle cleared, which makes me think you should press on.

I agree with christmasoompa that "outdoors lifestyle" and "so the kids will be outdoorsy" are major red flags. They already have that in abundance in Northern Ireland. A change of scenery won't make them put down the I-pad or turn off the video games, and Canadians work just as long, if not longer, than people in the UK. You won't suddenly have a lot more "time to spend with the kids."

The other issue I see here, is for your partner. What will she be doing? If she is working in the UK but then has to go through months of unemployment, or accept substantial under-employment - and this is common for new arrivals - how will that impact both her psyche, the family dynamic, and the finances of the move?

Moncton is perfectly fine as a place to live. There have been a number of posters who have come and gone from New Brunswick, I have lost track, but user bristoluk is there and has been there a while and has become something of a forum sage about the area.

So I think the optics of your proposed move look pretty good, but I think you need to ground yourself a bit more about what's ahead and tamp down some of the idealism, and make sure your partner also has a pathway to stability too. Ordinarily I would say do a recce with her but with the world situation what it is, I don't know that it's possible in the needed timeframe. I would proceed with what you've outlined but don't make irreversible moves in the UK like selling your house until you become stable in Canada.