Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile Homes!!

Mobile Homes!!

Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:46 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Homes!!

Originally Posted by Gaz67
Just wondering if anyone here lives in or has lived in a mobile home, and advice would be appreciated :0

we are thinking of buying for our first home at least to settle into area without the overhead of a big mortgage, and not wasting money on rent for 3-6mths etc

Cheers
Gaz
Have not lived in one but there are plenty around the town I live in and the surrounding towns too.
The're not situated in trailor parks,just on a plot of land like most houses.
A friend of mine,lived in one up until last year.He sold it because he didn't own the land it was on,just rented the plot(I think).

The interiors on most are just as nice as a normal house,some even have basements.Also on the plus side,normal Canadians won't look down their nose,or refer to you as trash.That is reserved for tossers on BE,who have issues,or are just plain ignorant
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
.Also on the plus side,normal Canadians won't look down their nose,or refer to you as trash.That is reserved for tossers on BE,who have issues,or are just plain ignorant
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:04 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Here in MB:-

trailer = you can pull it with a family vehicle
To join the confusion, I gave my sis a really funny look when she said they were thinking of getting one to holiday in - our family trailer in the UK was about 4 foot by 6 foot, made from chipboard & some wheels from the tip.
It was used to cart muck (manure), garden waste & rubbish about.

What she was meaning was apparantly something more like a 'caravan' in our yorkshire english, but then in our family, you never know!

Words eh, lovely.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:45 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
To join the confusion, I gave my sis a really funny look when she said they were thinking of getting one to holiday in - our family trailer in the UK was about 4 foot by 6 foot, made from chipboard & some wheels from the tip.
It was used to cart muck (manure), garden waste & rubbish about.

What she was meaning was apparantly something more like a 'caravan' in our yorkshire english, but then in our family, you never know!

Words eh, lovely.
A "Caravan" here tends to revert to its, sort of, original meaning, a bunch of "trailers" going off on holiday together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravan_(travellers)

Caravan (travellers)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Camel Caravan in Somalia
A caravan (Persian: کاروان) is a group of people traveling together, often on a trade expedition. Caravans were used mainly in desert areas and throughout the Silk Road, where traveling in groups aided in defense against bandits as well as helped to improve economies of scale in trade.
One example is a camel train.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Never got the appeal of caravanning in England. You spend 10 grand on one, you get to use it two to three weeks of the year and are restricted to horrible caravan sites. The rest of the year it sits there depreciating and blocking your driveway.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Also on the plus side,normal Canadians won't look down their nose,or refer to you as trash.That is reserved for tossers on BE,who have issues,or are just plain ignorant[/QUOTE]

Or the researchers for The Jerry Springer Show

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Last time i post on here me thinks, if thats the attitude some of you idiots have, this is supposed to be a helpful forum i assume? so why dont you try helping people , even us so called robbing scousers and stop being pathetic !!

On my move to Canada i hope I dont find people are as inconsiderate and dumb as you lot

Hi Gaz

In the states they are called trailer homes and yes there are singles and double wides.

But ...

there is an alternative which is much more attractive cost wise, appearance wise and living wise and that would be manufactured homes.

The new manufactured homes are great and can be placed on either basement foundations or just foundations. Their insulation is wonderful and quite the thing you will need for winter and summers in Canada.

Check out the web for them and ask your realtor about them as well.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Here in MB:-

trailer = you can pull it with a family vehicle

mobile home = its delivered on a truck.

Mobile homes are built just as well (some say better, as they have to withstand moving) as conventional new homes.

Then you are talking about manufactured homes. That is what they are called here in the states and as I said in an earlier post, they are excellent for good insulation and are quite attractive.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:12 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Then you are talking about manufactured homes. That is what they are called here in the states and as I said in an earlier post, they are excellent for good insulation and are quite attractive.
Its become a very grey area.

Technically I suppose that if the home has (or had) wheels and could be moved around on those wheels then its a Mobile Home.

If it comes on the back of a truck (in one or more pieces) and is put into place by a crane (or similar) then its a manufactured home.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:19 pm
Banned

garrett8787 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering if anyone here lives in or has lived in a mobile home, and advice would be appreciated :0

we are thinking of buying for our first home at least to settle into area without the overhead of a big mortgage, and not wasting money on rent for 3-6mths etc

Cheers
Gaz
Downsides are alot of it is prefab and when something breaks you have to replace other things attatched to it just because that's the way it's made. Repairs could end up being a bit pricey but in most cases it's still cheaper than a house
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:51 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Woman I was at college here moved into a mobile home. She has home done bleached long blonde hair with curls, wears pink sweaters and blue eye shadow. There were many comments that she had the clothes and peroxide, now she had the home to match....Oh how we laughed.

On the OP's question though. Buying something for a few months would waste more money than renting. You would pay around 5% in realtors fees to sell, plus taxes etc. Renting on arrival is the most sensible option if you aren't sure where you want to live. You could rent a mobile home, and I think some people who arrive in the summer rent holiday homes.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:30 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

So, we got trailers, single wides, double wides, mobiles, statics, manufactured homes and caravans, just for the sake of clarity - which one was which again?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
So, we got trailers, single wides, double wides, mobiles, statics, manufactured homes and caravans, just for the sake of clarity - which one was which again?
1) A Caravan is a dodgy American seven seater vehicle that starts to fall apart 30 seconds after you drive it off the dealer's lot.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
Any or all of them. Depends who you talk to.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Mobile Homes are what they have been called in the past. If they were located in a Mobile Park they had the axles and wheels still under them and could be moved easily either to other location or in case of fire could be towed away from other mobile homes.

These days in many of the provinces they are called mini homes and can be quite nice actually. There are many builders who will custom build one for your family for around $85,000.00 dollars. I have seen some with on-suites with jacuzzi tubs, gas or electric fireplaces. In the eastern Atlantic Provinces they are quite popular, as you can get nice three bedroom, an acre or two of land, electricty put in. septic tank and well dug for less than a $100,000.00.

I would not buy one that was built before 2002, as that was when many of the rules changed to protect the consumer and they were built of better construction. Also make sure that it has not been moved more than once as this can cause damage. Would not advise to buy one if planning on living where the temperture gets below -20 celcius. Good Luck

Even though I am no longer living in Canada, I can assure you not everyone is this inconsiderate and rude

Last time i post on here me thinks, if thats the attitude some of you idiots have, this is supposed to be a helpful forum i assume? so why dont you try helping people , even us so called robbing scousers and stop being pathetic !!

On my move to Canada i hope I dont find people are as inconsiderate and dumb as you lot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.