Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

misery at Vancouver housing cost?

misery at Vancouver housing cost?

Old Aug 14th 2015, 1:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?

Originally Posted by Tangram
Have you ever thought of moving to a cheaper part of the country ?
What have you done with Millie?
Old Aug 14th 2015, 2:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What have you done with Millie?
Not touched her
Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Have you ever thought of moving to a cheaper part of the country ?
Yes, but we can't make it work without my wife's disability which requires us to be in BC. We look around BC but not many places that are affordable and offer jobs, seems to be one or the other.

Cheap living but no jobs, jobs but high cost of living.

I don't have the earning power to double my income which is what we would need to do to move elsewhere and lose disability.

Looking to move to Vancouver was simply to have the ability to access some needed mental health treatment not available where we are, but to access it in Vancouver you have to live in the City of Vancouver.

We were going to go to a private treatment place, but financially it wasn't doable since it was going to be 600-700 per month for 6 months, and we couldn't come up with the funds needed, we tried though.

If you don't have a medication treatable mental health condition, it is extremely difficult to access the treatment you need via the public health system, they lack the time and resources to deal with it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 14th 2015 at 8:56 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

New article today about the on going rental crises in Squamish.

Rents spiking in Squamish
Old Aug 15th 2015, 12:53 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes, but we can't make it work without my wife's disability which requires us to be in BC. We look around BC but not many places that are affordable and offer jobs, seems to be one or the other.

Cheap living but no jobs, jobs but high cost of living.

I don't have the earning power to double my income which is what we would need to do to move elsewhere and lose disability.

Looking to move to Vancouver was simply to have the ability to access some needed mental health treatment not available where we are, but to access it in Vancouver you have to live in the City of Vancouver.

We were going to go to a private treatment place, but financially it wasn't doable since it was going to be 600-700 per month for 6 months, and we couldn't come up with the funds needed, we tried though.

If you don't have a medication treatable mental health condition, it is extremely difficult to access the treatment you need via the public health system, they lack the time and resources to deal with it.
Move to Cranbrook
Old Aug 15th 2015, 1:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by el_richo
Move to Cranbrook
What does Cranbrook have? Are there good paying jobs there?
Old Aug 15th 2015, 8:14 am
Account Closed

Move to Cranbrook
I looked online trying to find pet friendly rentals there on various websites, and doesn't appear to be much there rental wise that will accept pets. I've never been there, but very little coming up rental wise, and the few that did, are not in Cranbrook or the same rent we pay now...lol
Old Aug 15th 2015, 3:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

What does Cranbrook have? Are there good paying jobs there?
Minimum wage should get you further out that way from what i can see. It has an "International Airport". The Scenery is stunning. Although if you can't find a rental that's suitable for you...
Old Aug 16th 2015, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some more fuel for the fire

Foreign buyers snatch Vancouver land with no immediate plan to develop - The Globe and Mail
Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:57 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Some good fuel! $5mn for a Cambie tear down!
Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Some good fuel! $5mn for a Cambie tear down!
Parts of the Cambie corridor are starting to look like a ghetto with all the empty boarded up houses, some have signs saying condos coming soon, but the city really should require the developers to do something, it's really becoming a eye sore in some parts of the city with all the empty houses.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 6:58 pm
Beep

Parts of the Cambie corridor are starting to look like a ghetto with all the empty boarded up houses, some have signs saying condos coming soon, but the city really should require the developers to do something, it's really becoming a eye sore in some parts of the city with all the empty houses.
It's like it was in and around LA back in 2005.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 2:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's like it was in and around LA back in 2005.
I'm no expert on California, but LA really seems to be second fiddle to San Francisco/SV these days (property, culture, industry). Is that true or have I been reading too many tech industry articles?
Old Aug 19th 2015, 4:50 pm
Beep

I'm no expert on California, but LA really seems to be second fiddle to San Francisco/SV these days (property, culture, industry). Is that true or have I been reading too many tech industry articles?
Sort of. SFO and NYC are kind of tech bubbly right now compared to the rest of the country it seems.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

I haven't figured out what people see in LA.. I just see a spread out wasteland of nothing but traffic, smog, and frustration...lol

But a fair amount of people native to San Diego feel the same, hard to like LA when San Diego is where you grew up.

San Diego has it's urban sprawl, but thankfully can never really reach LA size due to geography and a couple large military bases. But if Camp Pendleton ever closes, well Orange County and San Diego County would probably just become one big mass, right now there is a no mans land between the 2 counties because of the Marine base.

Never really thought of LA as being a tech place, were they a big tech place or are they? (I know aerospace used to be a decent size there, and San Diego even, but not sure there are much if any aerospace left in either.)

I like San Francisco though, if I had a 6 figure income, it would be towards the top of my ideal city list to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.