British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   misery at Vancouver housing cost? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/misery-vancouver-housing-cost-860431/)

Howefamily Jun 19th 2015 11:38 pm

misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 
www.vancitybuzz.com

Interesting article on 150,000 families thinking of moving out of metro Vancouver due to the misery of housing costs....

BristolUK Jun 19th 2015 11:48 pm

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 
I see a ton of articles but not the one referred to. :unsure:

Howefamily Jun 19th 2015 11:50 pm

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 
Ah, gotta love an iPad. I will try again

Howefamily Jun 19th 2015 11:52 pm

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/06/8...ng-costs-poll/

Aviator Jun 20th 2015 12:38 am

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 
Of those polled, 95% have a commute of 45+minutes, so they don't live in Vancouver anyway. So how would they move away if they don't live here?

http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uplo...ousing_ARI.pdf

Howefamily Jun 20th 2015 1:17 am

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 
Are they miserable about the traffic and the house prices?

BristolUK Jun 20th 2015 2:25 am

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 
Do we have any BE members living in those blocks in the photo?

Jsmth321 Jun 20th 2015 8:18 am

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11679943)
Of those polled, 95% have a commute of 45+minutes, so they don't live in Vancouver anyway. So how would they move away if they don't live here?

http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uplo...ousing_ARI.pdf

But the article and poll are about Metro Vancouver, not Vancouver proper, but the region as a whole. Not until you get to Abbotsford to the east that your not in Metro Vancouver.

Shard Jun 20th 2015 9:13 am

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 
Seems a fairly pointless survey to me. The "Happy" segment tend to be retired / pre-retired (financially secure) individuals; whereas the "Miserable" segment are young,starting out, and struggling financially. Does it really require 49 pages for Angus Reid to explain all that. Perhaps it's just the segment names that are so uninspired.

dgagitw Jun 20th 2015 5:53 pm

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 
A couple of years ago I was offered a job transfer to Vancouver. The company paid for me and my family to visit for a few days to look around and talk to some realtors and so on. One of the questions we asked was about school places and the consistent answer was that, if we could afford to live in any of the nice areas downtown (we couldn't without taking a big hit on space) then school places were no problem because every one of the schools had falling rolls. I don't know whether the number of people living down town is falling, but it's clear that the number of younger people there is in rapid decline.

dishwashing Jun 20th 2015 9:37 pm

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 
I can drive downtown in 40-45 minutes and commute an hour. It is depressing.

dishwashing Jun 20th 2015 9:42 pm

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11679943)
Of those polled, 95% have a commute of 45+minutes, so they don't live in Vancouver anyway. So how would they move away if they don't live here?

http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uplo...ousing_ARI.pdf

What's considered Vancouver? Is north van, Abbotsford, Tri-cities in or out?

Well I can understand why people who bought at 100k and now have properties worth 2m are happy *jealous* :starsmile:

Aviator Jun 21st 2015 12:22 am

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 

Originally Posted by dishwashing (Post 11680440)
What's considered Vancouver? Is north van, Abbotsford, Tri-cities in or out?

Well I can understand why people who bought at 100k and now have properties worth 2m are happy *jealous* :starsmile:

Metro Vancouver comes out to Aldergrove. The survey is going to be skewed comparing families in Point Grey, West Van, Poco and ALdergrove. I'd be pissed off too if I had to live in Aldergrove.

Jsmth321 Jun 21st 2015 3:35 am

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 

Originally Posted by dishwashing (Post 11680440)
What's considered Vancouver? Is north van, Abbotsford, Tri-cities in or out?

Well I can understand why people who bought at 100k and now have properties worth 2m are happy *jealous* :starsmile:

Metro Vancouver consists of 21 municipalities, one electoral area and one first nations.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/Pages/default.aspx

Going east ends at Maple Ridge and Aldergrove, you also have smaller places like Bowen Island, and Lions Bay which are part of Metro Van.


Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11680124)
Seems a fairly pointless survey to me. The "Happy" segment tend to be retired / pre-retired (financially secure) individuals; whereas the "Miserable" segment are young,starting out, and struggling financially. Does it really require 49 pages for Angus Reid to explain all that. Perhaps it's just the segment names that are so uninspired.

I agree with you, those settled years ago, mostly or full retired, and bought when prices for housing more reasonably matched income are more or less going to be happier, its the younger generation that is finding it a struggle, the modern job market just doesn't offer the same opportunities as years past.

Shard Jun 21st 2015 6:39 am

Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?
 

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11680508)
Metro Vancouver comes out to Aldergrove. The survey is going to be skewed comparing families in Point Grey, West Van, Poco and ALdergrove. I'd be pissed off too if I had to live in Aldergrove.

What don't you like in Aldergrove? Too small, too slow? Seemed ok in a small town kind of way to me, and far away from those oppressive mountains.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:24 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.