Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

lynsey4321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Originally Posted by saz1983
Have you ruled out living in Toronto? To Scarborough you could commute from some easterly areas such as the beaches or Danforth which are very nice but a bit more pricey. Depending on where in Scarborough, you can also commute pretty easily from Markham, you could also look in Ajax or Whitby/Brooklin. Are you going to have a car? This will influence your decision on where to live greatly. Generally Scarborough is not held in great regard by people here but like everywhere it has its good and very bad parts.
We'd like a car, not so much for his work but for mine. Right now I work as a co-ordinator for home care, assuming I'll need to go back to basics again I'll need the car to get around the community.

To be honest we haven't ruled out anything but I suppose we asssumed Toronto wouldn't be as affordable and be mainly appartments - we'd like a garden for wee fuzzy (cat) to play and poop in

I had thought about Ajax actually - what seems to most people to be a reasonable commute? Right now I'm about 25mins from work (driving motorway) and he's a 20min (cycle).

Thanks for the suggestions! I've never heard of Danforth before - shall start googling!

Last edited by lynsey4321; Aug 17th 2012 at 4:17 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
FWIW most of the folks at our "Toronto" office live in the Oshawa Whitby Pickering Ajax Markham conglomeration.

Maybe thats just an indication that we probably dont pay enough for them to make it to the Beaches and downtown
Ahh the money is the decider isn't it! Those are places I have been leaning towards in my hunts so glad I'm not totally off the mark Such a relief to have a bit of direction from people who have actually heard of these places thanks
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I live in Pickering just across the border from Scarborough. In 28 years here I have not experienced any gang or chav activity. It's a pleasant, quiet, safe and tree lined sub-division about 5 minute drive from the GO train service. I'm a three minute walk from a beach on Lake Ontario. One could easily cycle into Scarborough, if desired.
Scarborough has a reputation not all together deserved. Yes, there is some gang activity/shootings but only in certain pockets of the area. Scarborough has many very nice areas where people live out their lives comfortably and without fear.
There we go! a good review I new there would be one out there somewhere, was starting to think I'd imagined it. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

If you don't mind me asking - how likely is it in Pickering to rent a house (not a basement) and do you have any idea what it would cost? When I do searches I seem to keep coming up with basements and I really would like windows.

Thanks so much everyone for your help, you've got me all motivate to hunt a home again!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynsey4321
There we go! a good review I new there would be one out there somewhere, was starting to think I'd imagined it. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

If you don't mind me asking - how likely is it in Pickering to rent a house (not a basement) and do you have any idea what it would cost? When I do searches I seem to keep coming up with basements and I really would like windows.

Thanks so much everyone for your help, you've got me all motivate to hunt a home again!
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-real-esta...cationZ1700275
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

eeeee! Thanks! I wish it was that quick for me to do!

So few want to rent to people with pets she's really a very tidy wee thing.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

eeeee! Thanks! I wish it was that quick for me to do!

So few want to rent to people with pets she's really a very tidy wee thing.
You could try posting a want add and see if anyone bites?

Although Im not sure if Kijiji is smart enough to filter out posts from non locals...
Old Aug 17th 2012, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
You could try posting a want add and see if anyone bites?

Although Im not sure if Kijiji is smart enough to filter out posts from non locals...
That's the bit I'm worried about - how many weird folk are going to start mailing me and try to trick me/waste my time with make-believe houses - that being said might be worth a go, ever known anyone to try it?
Old Aug 18th 2012, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

cinelight is an unknown quantity at this point

oooh nooo...

Well thank you once again! I really appreciate the insight!

So a bit off topic I know, but is there any places you could recommend when working in Scarborough please?
A little further east, in Pickering itself or cheaper and 5 minutes away in Ajax,
which still has small town feel.

Hope it helps !
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Having been forced to do some genuine research on this topic lately, the basic conclusion I am drawing (which I suspected and posted on here previously) about on-line shopping in Canada is this:

- there isn't any advantage to doing it, especially tax-wise. In the UK you get your DVDs etc. from Amazon from Jersey and avoid the VAT, in the US you can shop around and avoid your local sales tax. In Canada the retailer has to collect the sales tax/HST/GST of wherever you live.

- add on shipping costs, and Canada Post is really expensive. I've just had a situation where I shipped an identical item to the UK to what was shipped to me, postage cost shipping to me, £3.71, postage cost shipping to them: $28.

So why bother. Simpler to go to a shop, you save on the shipping costs.

Also, if you order from the US you get hammered with customs brokerage fees and often duty as well.

A few US retailers such as Microsoft, Tirerack, etc. are GST/HST registered so it might be cheaper buying from them but they don't collect PST, so you still get hit with brokerage fees in that event.

- faster to go to a shop. Postage here is painfully slow, people just aren't patient enough.

So although web usage in Canada has the highest penetration in the world, doing business on-line here is quite hard if you're trying to sell a physical good. If it is a service you are providing, you have a chance.