Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

I am going to Kelowna on the IEC next year with my GF and as everyone will agree, such a process involves a lot of research on the net... one thing I have really noticed about Canadian businesses (although not true in all cases of course) is that an extremely high percentage have sub-standard websites or none at all - this just seems weird as even a lot of small businesses in the UK have a strong web presence (again.. not true in all cases)

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this may be? Even some fairly large shopping malls that I have looked at have sites that look like they were made in 1998 and work the same haha. I'm pretty sure it's not because Canadian computers run on coal so would love some input or even disagreement
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice
Default Re: Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

I've noticed the same thing! And I find a lot of the websites seem to rant and rave about how good they are at giving 110% gold-plated everything, but you end up having to go really deep into the site to find out what the company actually does! Sounds like a business venture methinks - website overhaulage!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly there are many local contractors who don't even have a Website (or even just a web page), just an entry on the yellow pages site with an enlargeable display ad.

When there is a website and email option they usually don't respond. Makes you wonder why they have it.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The internet isn't as widely used in Canada as in Europe, most of the country only has dial up access. Accordingly, a web presence isn't the priority for Canadian businesses that it is for European ones.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians do business on word of mouth, its a lot more important than web presence. Treat people right and customers will come.

Websites are an afterthought, or a long forgotten novelty from some time in the mid 90s.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
The internet isn't as widely used in Canada as in Europe, most of the country only has dial up access. Accordingly, a web presence isn't the priority for Canadian businesses that it is for European ones.
Canada has one of the highest broadband usage rates in the world.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're interested in the offerings of a major company then it's worth looking to see if they have a website for the US. If they do you can research the product of interest on there and just phone the Canadian branch to see how much they charge for it.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by jericho
Canada has one of the highest broadband usage rates in the world.
In Toronto. Once you go past the 401 it's line-of-sight or dial up. I suppose that once you get up past Thunder Bay you're connecting your computer to a tin can with a string to the service providers tin can. Fortunately for the broadband statistics, the Canadian population mostly lives squished together in high density housing with internet cables; the great empty spaces are just that, the only advanced technology comes from John Deere.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

This is what we've found trying to take a look at stuff(furniture, rentals etc) while we are still in the UK. I have to say that Australia is the same though and we found loads more once we were there, so will have to fly by the seat of our pants again for Canada!
Old Aug 14th 2012, 2:14 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It does get frustrating when you try to find something. I was trying to find out how much a garbage container (skip) would cost. Only a couple of companies had a website and neither of those had prices (this was after hours so wanted to get an idea as don't have much time for personal calls during the work day).

Also tried to get an idea of prices for concrete steps - the website was advertising a clearance sale for Spring 2009. OH will have to pop in at lunch time now I doubt as with many of these places they are open on weekends, Granite shops are open Mon-Fri until 5pm, so are the tile shops (one is open until 3pm on a Saturday) etc.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

lynsey4321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes! I've noticed this too, trying to look up letting agencies and it feels like an impossible task on the net. I can't help but kind of judge a company by how professional it is as that's all I have to work with. I notice it with Gumtree Vs Craigslist
Old Aug 14th 2012, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Freddy_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

In Toronto. Once you go past the 401 it's line-of-sight or dial up. I suppose that once you get up past Thunder Bay you're connecting your computer to a tin can with a string to the service providers tin can. Fortunately for the broadband statistics, the Canadian population mostly lives squished together in high density housing with internet cables; the great empty spaces are just that, the only advanced technology comes from John Deere.

If that's the case can't you get rogers 4g network?. Everywhere I've been in Alberta and BC at least had dsl.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 3:34 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freddy_uk
If that's the case can't you get rogers 4g network?. Everywhere I've been in Alberta and BC at least had dsl.
You need to get out more. I'm 20 minutes drive from the downtown core of a city of c90,000 people, and just a couple of kms out of city limits. I have no cable, no cell service, no broadband. I recently took a road trip from here to Jasper and had no cell service for over 4 hours of the journey. The following 2 days travelling to Banff and back to Kamloops were similar - service available within towns themselves, but travel a short distance outside and there's often nothing. To suggest 4G is commonly available in BC is nonsense.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I lived just west of Thunder Bay & lived on the internet - for me there was nothing else of interest to do. I threw my dial-up connection out the window years ago & had no bother adding to my audio and video libraries with the broadband connection I had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.