Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Make the move from Vancouver to Montreal?

Make the move from Vancouver to Montreal?

Old Apr 27th 2019, 11:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Make the move from Vancouver to Montreal?

Originally Posted by carcajou
Canada doesn't have presidents.
It's always a joy to get a straight answer to a straight question (pardon me if that phrasing is unfortunate in the context of the thread). Is it a fair guess that you decamped during the Reagan administration?

Old Apr 29th 2019, 2:01 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Make the move from Vancouver to Montreal?

Originally Posted by carcajou
that will be much more reliable than, say, rumour from someone sitting in the fringe of Toronto.
If that's directed at me, it's a very long way wide of the mark. Aside from the fact that my in-laws lived in Montreal from the mid-1980s until about 2012, and my OH attended high school, CEGEP and two universities in Montreal, I am a reasonably regular visitor to various cities, towns and villages in Quebec. The Venn diagram of my direct Montreal acquaintance has a non-null union of the sets "members of a same-sex couple" and "people working in arts administration;" I wonder what your degree of separation is from the subject under discussion?

You talk about the Office de la langue française, but in all seriousness it doesn't impact the daily life of Montrealers one iota. For the OP who is looking to work in arts administration there are some implications, for sure - such as ensuring that the French language dominates publicity materials and program notes, or that most grant-awarding bodies insist that applications are written in French - but there is reasonably clear guidance on those requirements and it's not something that bothers anybody except the more belligerent Anglos.
Old Apr 29th 2019, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Jellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Make the move from Vancouver to Montreal?

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
You talk about the Office de la langue française, but in all seriousness it doesn't impact the daily life of Montrealers one iota.
This has been my experience, Oakvillian; I concur.