Reload this Page >

Employment advice for brit wanting to move to Newfoundland

Employment advice for brit wanting to move to Newfoundland

Old Apr 28th 2019, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Smudge90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment advice for brit wanting to move to Newfoundland

Hello,

I'm new to BE and looking for some advice off of anyone that can help point me in the right direction.
apologies in advance if I'm posting any frustrating newb questions.

I'm a fully qualified marine/mechanical electrical engineer in the UK, currently working on engines and generators after spending some years in the navy, and before that the gas industry.

I'm particularly interested in moving to Newfoundland particularly the st John's area. This is currently only a pipe dream of mine I havent got into Visa applications or anything yet, I'm mainly interested in first finding out Information about how to go about job searching.

I would be trying to contact companies and to discover wether my sort of trade is something that is needed in the areas I'm Interested in, but in peoples opinion, is the best way to just bite the bullet and travel to Canada and try find employment once over there ?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can offer
Old Apr 29th 2019, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment advice for brit wanting to move to Newfoundland

Hi, welcome ........

The first thing you have to find out is if you are eligible to be accepted into Canada

The second thing is that you have to check your usage of the word "engineer" ....... Engineer in Canada is a regulated profession, and some occupations that use the term "engineer" in the UK are not accepted here in the same way. So your occupation title will need assessing

The third thing is to realise that most people find it extremely difficult to get even a response to a job application from outside the country ........ in most cases you need to be in Canada, with a Canadian phone and address.

People who are much more qualified than I will be along later and will give you the links and better explanations of what you have to do and where to go.

Good luck
Old Apr 29th 2019, 6:10 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE!

It's late and I'm about to go to bed but thought I'd quickly post this for you - you will need to ascertain what your job title would be (as Scilly mentioned) and whether you will need to be Provincially Certified to practice.. have a look at the NOC code and see if your work matches most of the key points

https://www.sk.jobbank.gc.ca/marketr...ements/3232/ca
https://www.sk.jobbank.gc.ca/marketr...skills/3232/NL

NOC 2011 - 2232 - Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians - Unit group
Old Apr 29th 2019, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks alot both for your response , yeah that NOC2232 is spot on with my job, I have all relevant certification and experience.

Yeah with regards to the job search I thought as much, I think I'm going to have to try get out there as soon as i can to get a clearer picture of what it will take to find employment
Old Apr 29th 2019, 7:38 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudge90
Thanks alot both for your response , yeah that NOC2232 is spot on with my job, I have all relevant certification and experience.

Yeah with regards to the job search I thought as much, I think I'm going to have to try get out there as soon as i can to get a clearer picture of what it will take to find employment
But more important than job searching or certification is whether you qualify for a visa? Have you checked if you’re eligible to emigrate to Canada?
Old Apr 29th 2019, 9:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, tons of useful info in there.

As above, visa should be your first step as that will have a big impact on your job hunting. If you already have a visa and are work authorised, generally speaking it'll be a heck of a lot easier to find a job. Whereas if you don't qualify for a visa without a job offer, then it's going to be harder as you'll need a sponsoring employer that doesn't mind paying the fees and waiting months for you.
Old Apr 29th 2019, 9:23 am
Just Joined

As far as I can tell I am eligible to emigrate, thanks alot this is just the stuff 8k after. I wasnt sure wether I'd have to try find employment first to gain a Visa or wether it was the other way round.

Sounds like I should put my efforts into first obtaining a Visa then before worrying about employment .

I appreciate the help thanks guys
Old Apr 29th 2019, 12:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with the engineer or not piece - but the advice about Engineering having a different, regulated, meaning in Canada is correct. I have lived in the St John's area for 15 years or so, so I can help with the St John's bit. Can I ask, why in particular you want to move here?

On the immigration front you might want to check out the provincial nominee programme: https://www.gov.nl.ca/immigration/

AX
Old Apr 29th 2019, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I can't help with the engineer or not piece - but the advice about Engineering having a different, regulated, meaning in Canada is correct. I have lived in the St John's area for 15 years or so, so I can help with the St John's bit. Can I ask, why in particular you want to move here?

On the immigration front you might want to check out the provincial nominee programme: https://www.gov.nl.ca/immigration/

AX
I've visited a few different places in Canada growing up, and this was the one place that really stuck in my mind that I always wanted to end up moving to. It would be great to hear a bit about it from the perspective of someone actually living there.

Thanks for the link that's a big help to me, I think that may be something that I could try out for
Old Apr 29th 2019, 3:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You may have the relevant certification overseas - but Canada will most likely require you to become Provincially Certified before allowing you to work in the industry.

https://www.aesl.gov.nl.ca/app/tradequalifier.html
https://www.aettnl.com/what-is-a-cer...-technologist/

Do check your CRS score to see if you will need a job offer or not before diving in and spending money!
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
Old Apr 29th 2019, 8:23 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Before you get the visa, can you speak & understand fluent newfie?