Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

looking at moving

looking at moving

Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default looking at moving

Hi all, newbie here to site. It seems there are lots of professional people that move to canada, but I wonder whether my hubby and I are suitable. My hubby is a floorlayer (all types of floor - carpets/vinyls/contract flooring, laminates, etc) we have our own business (20 years) and I have qualifications in all types of secretarial/admin/computers ie. ECDL/ICDL etc. as well as 13 years banking experience, and retail/small business accounting etc due to running our own business.

We would love to come to BC and are coming out next summer to look again more closely. I am 38 and hubby 42 and we have 4 kids!!! aged 5,6,8 and 14I really hope that we are not chasing an impossible dream as we are ridiculously hooked on this and so upbeat. Can anyone advise...
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:49 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking at moving

Hi, 6mathers, and welcome to the BE forum.

Secretaries and floor covering installers both are on the Occupations under Pressure (OUP) list for BC. That ought to be helpful in obtaining a temporary work permit (TWP).

Both of those occupations fall under Skill Level B on the National Occupational Classification Matrix. That means that each of you belongs to a skill level that makes your spouse eligible for a spousal open work permit (SOWP). That means that, in effect, only one prospective employer needs to apply for a labour market opinion. The other spouse will be allowed to accept any job with any employer in any part of Canada.

There may be other occupations on BC's OUP list for which you are qualified. I haven't looked at it closely enough to be able to say whether or not that is the case.

In my opinion, gaining entry to Canada is not going to be the barrier for you. I believe you'd be able to do it.

What is less clear to me is the quality of life you'd have once you got here. Don't get me wrong. I love BC. I'm headed there myself in four days. But, from what I've seen of this forum, many British people don't appreciate how different the level of family support is over here. Sports activities for kids aren't organized by schools but rather by parent volunteers in the community. Schools don't provide kids with lunch. Most of the provincial health care insurance plans don't include dental care (although the cost of that can be reduced considerably if your employer provides supplementary medical and dental insurance as a benefit). The list goes on. I suggest you research all these things very thoroughly before you make a decision.
x
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Thank you so much. Really there is very little sport in schools here in the North West of England and whats wrong with the good old packed lunch anyway!!!! Much of our kids sports participation is with us as a family. We feel so hemmed in even though we live in a lovely part of the UK. We have had our own business for many years and are simply living to work all the time. My husband and I would love to be employed and we cannot think of a better place to do it!!. We are really now trying to gain as much information as we can about everything and appreciate any help. Would anybody recommend using an Agent for Visa applications or going it alone?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

And there is no such thing as free dental here either in fact you are lucky if you can even manage to find a dentist
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:26 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Just wanted to welcome you to the site.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Cassie, lovely to chat to everyone, well two people so far anyway!! How long have you been in Edmonton and do you love it!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:34 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6mathers
And there is no such thing as free dental here either in fact you are lucky if you can even manage to find a dentist
There isn't here, either.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ahh R I C H at least theres lovely scenery to look at whilst you're trying to find a Dentist
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:38 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Cassie, lovely to chat to everyone, well two people so far anyway!! How long have you been in Edmonton and do you love it!
I'm not quite there yet, house in the final stages of sale in England.

As soon as it sells we will be off.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aww great Hope it all goes well. I wish I could fast forward to that stage. What are you going to do over there, do you know yet. Have you got a job or are you going to look when you get there..... Im sorry, soooo many questions.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:45 pm

Aww great Hope it all goes well. I wish I could fast forward to that stage. What are you going to do over there, do you know yet. Have you got a job or are you going to look when you get there..... Im sorry, soooo many questions.
If you like check out my blog under my picture, I don't mind.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:57 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Would anybody recommend using an Agent for Visa applications or going it alone?
If your case is relatively straightforward (if neither you nor any of your accompanying family members has a criminal record, a health issue, a child custody battle on your hands, etc.), I would recommend the Do It Yourself route. Also check out the Wiki article called Immigration Consultants-Canada.

If you haven't already done so, I strongly recommend that you read:
Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration

Quick Job Hunting Instructions-Canada

Scouting Trip-Canada

Moving back to the UK forum - Just to hear the other side of the story and, juxtaposed with the information on the Canada forum, get some balance.
x
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
If you like check out my blog under my picture, I don't mind.
Oh my goodness. I am originally from Bury (recognise the steam train) have lived in Burnley and our business is in Todmorden. We now live in Littleborough. What a small world!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If your case is relatively straightforward (if neither you nor any of your accompanying family members has a criminal record, a health issue, a child custody battle on your hands, etc.), I would recommend the Do It Yourself route. Also check out the Wiki article called Immigration Consultants-Canada.

If you haven't already done so, I strongly recommend that you read:
Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration

Quick Job Hunting Instructions-Canada

Moving back to the UK forum - Just to hear the other side of the story and, juxtaposed with the information on the Canada forum, get some balance.
x
Thank you Judy. No criminal records, court cases, health problems apart from my 13 year old son Jack has Insulin dependent diabetes, but as far as I know this should not be a problem. Hopefully....
Scouting Trip-Canada
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:19 pm

Oh my goodness. I am originally from Bury (recognise the steam train) have lived in Burnley and our business is in Todmorden. We now live in Littleborough. What a small world!!!!
You will be really surprised how small a world it is when you are on here. I got talking to a person on here and her husband used to work with my husband a few years ago.

Last edited by Cassie 10000; Sep 11th 2008 at 4:19 pm. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.