Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

looking at moving

looking at moving

Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: looking at moving

Originally Posted by R I C H
But your kids currently benefit from free dental, prescriptions etc etc? Surely you are benefiting from a "rubbish state benefit system" (scrounging or otherwise)?

My wife paid $450 last week for a repeat prescription for HRT, then $75 yesterday for a trip to the chiropractors (at her doctors recommendation). You just need to bear in mind that healthcare can be expensive here
R I C H why the heck dont ya come back to lovely, happy UK with its well run NHS (where you cant get treatment because of waiting lists for months and months and a benefit system that is groaning under the weight of scroungers), ridiculous levels of taxation, petrol, mortgage crises, need I go on, if it is so rubbish over there. What I am saying is we sure aren't looking to relocate over there for the benefit and healthcare system, just as Ill bet you didn't either
Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6mathers
What I am saying is we sure aren't looking to relocate over there for the benefit and healthcare system, just as Ill bet you didn't either
And what everyone else is saying is that you'll miss the benefit and healthcare system you have now once it's gone.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:42 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

R I C H why the heck dont ya come back to lovely, happy UK with its well run NHS (where you cant get treatment because of waiting lists for months and months and a benefit system that is groaning under the weight of scroungers), ridiculous levels of taxation, petrol, mortgage crises, need I go on, if it is so rubbish over there. What I am saying is we sure aren't looking to relocate over there for the benefit and healthcare system, just as Ill bet you didn't either
I'm perfectly happy here thanks, it's not rubbish, it is what it is.

Taxation's really not a great deal different from the UK, fuel's risen by over 30% in the 3yrs since I arrived, and mortgage issues are caused by greedy borrowers as much as lending policies.

You just need to have your eyes open to realities in Canada.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:00 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

.... NHS (where you cant get treatment because of waiting lists for months and months and a benefit system that is groaning under the weight of scroungers)
Things aren't always rosy here on that front either.

I had suspected kidney stones a few months ago - couldn't get to see my GP without a couple of days notice (I'm lucky to have a GP, their availability is in very short supply), so went to a walk-in-clinic and was told they were full for the day (this was late morning). Went to a second walk-in and got the same response. I ended up in A&E and waited 3hrs for treatment - was put straight onto morphine and a drip for the rest of the evening. Not exactly ideal service levels, though the treatment was effective and well administered once I got it.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Things aren't always rosy here on that front either.

I had suspected kidney stones a few months ago - couldn't get to see my GP without a couple of days notice (I'm lucky to have a GP, their availability is in very short supply), so went to a walk-in-clinic and was told they were full for the day (this was late morning). Went to a second walk-in and got the same response. I ended up in A&E and waited 3hrs for treatment - was put straight onto morphine and a drip for the rest of the evening. Not exactly ideal service levels, though the treatment was effective and well administered once I got it.

I appreciate that, but I assume you didn't move to Canada for the healthcare system. Im glad you got sorted out though in the end. Now with your knowledge of Canada and your experiences do you still enjoy your life there, and with everything you have just told us, do you wish you had never gone to Canada?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:22 pm
Pea Brain

I appreciate that, but I assume you didn't move to Canada for the healthcare system. Im glad you got sorted out though in the end. Now with your knowledge of Canada and your experiences do you still enjoy your life there, and with everything you have just told us, do you wish you had never gone to Canada?
There are many reasons I moved here, none of them overriding, all of them important; economic, climate, geography, lifestyle, work etc. Health care, taxes, gas prices etc didn't drive my decision, but it would have been foolish to ignore them.

I've no intention of moving from here and am quite happy, thanks. Many BE posters have previously said it's same shit, different bucket here - you've just got to decide if the flavour is to your taste.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Zookie is an unknown quantity at this point

TMany BE posters have previously said it's same shit, different bucket here - you've just got to decide if the flavour is to your taste.

Different tasting shit eh!!! I am seeing Canada in a whole new light now..
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

There are many reasons I moved here, none of them overriding, all of them important; economic, climate, geography, lifestyle, work etc. Health care, taxes, gas prices etc didn't drive my decision, but it would have been foolish to ignore them.

I've no intention of moving from here and am quite happy, thanks. Many BE posters have previously said it's same shit, different bucket here - you've just got to decide if the flavour is to your taste.
Fair play, our reasons for moving are pretty much same, and your last quote so eloquently put!! goodness knows which flavour we'll like, but if we never try, we'll never know!! We have worked very hard for 20 years running our own business, it is superbly established, and gives us a good standard of living, but we are disheartened, work extremely long hours and really don't know what to do, we want to spend more time with the kids, doing different sports, experiencing different things and we think Canada could be the place for us. Lovely chatting to you
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:36 pm
Pea Brain

Fair play, our reasons for moving are pretty much same, and your last quote so eloquently put!! goodness knows which flavour we'll like, but if we never try, we'll never know!! We have worked very hard for 20 years running our own business, it is superbly established, and gives us a good standard of living, but we are disheartened, work extremely long hours and really don't know what to do, we want to spend more time with the kids, doing different sports, experiencing different things and we think Canada could be the place for us. Lovely chatting to you
I've been running a business here since arriving, and can appreciate your comments about the long hours.

For sure, if you don't try, you'll never know. Best of luck
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zookie
Different tasting shit eh!!! I am seeing Canada in a whole new light now..
Thats a good thing!

Even Canadians can be surprised by the costs of prescriptions etc. A friend of mine here has recently taken a new job, part time so no benefits or job security. She needs to pay for prescription meds and the cheapest insurance she can find is $100 a month. She also needs to find dental insurance too. Previously she was on her husbands insurance and benefits, now they are divorced.

You pay for birth control pills here, a months supply of hay fever tabs is around $15 a month. No free eye tests, or NHS dental, or hearing aids. You pay for the wheelchair you may need, the crutches when you break your leg, the fibreglass cast if you dont want a heavy plaster one. A brace for an occult fracture of the wrist cost me $60, it soon mounts up.