Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Originally Posted by dbd33
A shred of supporting evidence please.

Also, when you get to Canada, what criminal activity do you primarily intend to pursue?
Frank Winsowski - "The race for territory" Column books. Chapter 3 "Movement of peoples" pages 34 - 48.

And

Samuel Peterson - "The British malaise, crime in the inner cities" Pelican books, a lot of pages.

You see .........As well as a programmer I'm also a fully trained Sociologist.

Criminal activities, ha! This is from a guy who has sex with horses hooves and scr$&s their keepers!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
Well why didn't go home early on Friday and earn 71p less?

What's a fact? That your "friend" told you this, or that what he said is actually true?

Why is it that there is never a credible source for all these recycled white trash urban legends?

Reading this forum is a wonderful window into the psyche of people. Politicians ought to study it to see what woeful reasoning skills the masses have. A deft speech on a prejudice here, a leaflet reinforcing a little hate there, and you can prod people into believing (and voting) for anything.

K.
If you read my post....he was retired!!! after 33 years working his arse off as a post man.

The fact is I saw the items with my own eye...on a few occasions was there while they opened the boxes...joking about how they had come about them.....it was a regular conversation while they smoked and drank from cans!!!!
As a child I found there way of life quite exciting as it was far from anyway I had ever lived!!!!

I am not colour prejudice in any way....but I do beleive as most on here....you should put something into the pot, before draining it!!!!!

Linda
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
he had to pay for private schools whereas state schools here are a viable choice.
That's why the tax figures aren't everything. The US always shows up as a low tax environment because health insurance isn't a tax. But the cost of employing someone in the US can be very high indeed when they expect decent health benefits.

K.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda P
The fact is I saw the items with my own eye...
Seeing objects = seeing the source of income? Just think: we could spot money laundering and drug dealing by simple arresting everyone with a pimped up Lincoln Navigator. Come to think of it..

K.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

simple arresting everyone with a pimped up Lincoln Navigator.
That would be a good start...just on grounds of good taste!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleech
Almost as creepy as your fascination with having a go at Canada and bigging up Australia at every opportunity. Keep on doing it though mate, you might even convince yourself that you've made the right decision
Objective facts make persuasion irrelevant. I don't have to convince myself that I have made the right decision any more than I to convince myself that the Earth isn't flat.

Also, on a FORUM for discussing IMMIGRATION to places like CANADA and AUSTRALIA it is generally accepted that one is allowed to mention CANADA and AUSTRALIA and thanks to free speech one can say whatever one wants to say about CANADA and AUSTRALIA as many times as one wants.

Now clearly you have a problem with Canada, as your desire to defend it at all costs clearly implies. I have no problem with this, as your constant leaping to the defence of Ottawa is your right. I don't creep round the shadows of BritishExpats making irrelevant and asinine comments about all your posts, so extend me the same courtesy.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Frank Winsowski - "The race for territory" Column books. Chapter 3 "Movement of peoples" pages 34 - 48.

And

Samuel Peterson - "The British malaise, crime in the inner cities" Pelican books, a lot of pages.

You see .........As well as a programmer I'm also a fully trained Sociologist.

Criminal activities, ha! This is from a guy who has sex with horses hooves and scr$&s their keepers!
Is there much training involved in being a sociologist? How do you know when the training is finished?

Are those recent publications? Neither google nor Amazon has heard of them.
Ms. Horse Keeper has subscriptions to lots of academic databases (as farm workers tend to) I could have her search if they're not general interest publications.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's why the tax figures aren't everything. The US always shows up as a low tax environment because health insurance isn't a tax. But the cost of employing someone in the US can be very high indeed when they expect decent health benefits.

K.
Yes, in a nutshell OHIP is why we are in Canada even though the business isn't here.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Small penis syndrome??

I'm sorry to be rude but you obviously aren't well educated (you can't even spell basic English words like "immigrant") and probably aren't very intelligent. I expect you simply misunderstood the situation.

K.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Because the image fits the reality: the tax take as a percentage of GDP is higher in Canada than the UK, Australia or New Zealand.

The fact that you can't square the actual economics with your personal situation is living proof of the wisdom (political wisdom!) of shifting taxes from direct (and highly visible) to indirect taxes.

K.
Thing is what counts as "Tax" in that context. The figures Ive seen for total tax burden have Canada doing pretty well. Its an irrelevent discussion anyway, most people are not driven to a location by the tax rate anyway, if we were then we would all end up where the rate is lowest...cant remember where that is. And low taxes do need equate to a high standard of living. The top spots on the irrelevent UN list go to high taxing nordic nations after all.

I still wonder what the overall income tax rate in Oz is though for the sake of argument.

Looking at the simplistic calulators google threw up Id pay nearly 18k on 65k income, excluding medicare and HECS...whatever that is. Now there are probably many deductions to lower that for kids etc, but 18k is still over 26%, and thats my all in rate here. I doubt my taxes would be less in Oz than they are here. There are no deductions for kids here, but we get about $350 a month from the feds for two kids at the moment thats not factored into my 26% overall calulation either., so my total income: total given back to the governent ratio is actually less still.

Plus the GST in Oz seems to be 10%...is there a local/regional sales tax on top of that too I wonder?

Last edited by iaink; Nov 13th 2006 at 2:33 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
I still wonder what the overall income tax rate in Oz is though for the sake of argument.
Don't know. But I can tell you that immigrants in NZ get a pretty good deal: all foreign income is tax free for the next five years. Some people might save enough tax to get a free car..

K.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Small penis syndrome??
I think it's the size of brain that's in question. And, as ever, it's what you do with it that counts. Using the (evidently small) gift that God gave to tell lies about vulnerable people is not something to be proud of.

K.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Plus the GST in Oz seems to be 10%...is there a local/regional sales tax on top of that too I wonder?
I don't think so, GST is fairly new in Australia. But these sales taxes are crucial: if you spend half your income on GST-able goods and services, and the rate of GST is 10% vs 20%, that's equivalent to a 5% income tax hike. The scope of GST is important too: is it on food?

Similarly, is mortgage interest tax deductible? If a third of your pre-tax salary is mortgage interest then that's a significant difference.

These tax calculators generally don't capture these quite large effects, and so economists drop back to GDP based measures (on the reasonable assumption that if a company is paying a larger share of tax, then the company's customers are paying for it in the price of goods and services).

K.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:47 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

I don't think so, GST is fairly new in Australia. But these sales taxes are crucial: if you spend half your income on GST-able goods and services, and the rate of GST is 10% vs 20%, that's equivalent to a 5% income tax hike. The scope of GST is important too: is it on food?

Similarly, is mortgage interest tax deductible? If a third of your pre-tax salary is mortgage interest then that's a significant difference.

These tax calculators generally don't capture these quite large effects, and so economists drop back to GDP based measures (on the reasonable assumption that if a company is paying a larger share of tax, then the company's customers are paying for it in the price of goods and services).

K.
Makes sense on that level, but not being an economist I'm just looking out for #1 and what comes out of my pocket. Besides, tax rates in the developed world are all broadly similar, not different enough to influence immigration decisions over all the other more "lifestyle" type factors anyway. Just on a Canadian level thats true, or else all of Canada would live in Alberta. Plus I dont like hot weather, or poisonous bugs, and cocky Australians really pi$$ me off, so I'll be staying in my nice Ontario backwater for the foreseeable future regardless
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Hey printer, are you a laser or deskjet or what?

Thank you for the congrats, I deserve it of course. You yourself are only 14 away, but it's all a con, I feel no differently than before, what's in a name eh.

You were in Basingstoke shopping? Saturday? Where do you live??
I was in there Sunday to get another mobile phone because several months ago I got in a tember with mine and chucked it at a wall. (Did that with a video player once).

I'm going for the record of the most pages in a thread EVER! The problem I have is a) I don't know the number of pages the longest thread was. b)Is there a limit set on the number of pages you can have.

Anyone got any ideas? Probably someone who inhabits the land that is Canada, but we'll have to await a while because most of them are still in bed, the BC lot are still asleep I suppose, bless 'em, just look, they all have the appearance of angels when they're slumbering.

When was your AOR? Or are you here for the fun?
Hi Steve

We have the visas and are going out for final visit in December. Just got to sell the bloody house then we can go for good. There's always something in the way.
We live on outskirts of Wokingham, bought our first flat in Basingstoke 20+ years ago because it was better value for money out there and i remember at that time the interest rate was 14%.
Sorry i don't have any actual written proof to back this up though so i might get shouted down for making it up. I am sure the facts can be found in the Daily Mail archives!!!!!!!!!! (oops more exclamation marks)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.