Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Canada

Living in Canada

Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Living in Canada

The orphans sent to Canada and Australia was just wicked, but I suppose the government wanted to colonise their colonies so there was a reason.

Answering this for you dboy would open up a whole new can of worms, so I'm not going to do it because it would take us way off topic. I'll have to crack your skull on a another thread sometime

Last edited by kate 17; Apr 26th 2010 at 11:22 pm. Reason: colour
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

I take it you've not visited shopping centres in the UK for a while then. I fail to see the difference. Some may have the nice architecture on the outside but inside i see no difference.

The nice VARIED architecture on the outside adds to the quality of life for me. Inside, there are more choices in everything, as you would expect from a society with a larger population. I was last home I september, so I saw shopping centers.

So you prefer form over function? Surely financial awareness should come first when reviewing liveability?

The reason I came to Canada was choosing financial awareness over form and it was a mistake. Going to Edmonton for more money and giving up my beautiful village....I wouldn't repeat that mistake.

Surely location is the key to this? I can think of quite a few places in the UK where the local delicacy is KFC of McDonalds and the local supermarkets offerings are a little wanting.

No location doesn't matter British food is better of course if you lived on KFC in the UK then you wouldn't notice the difference.

The Carribean is another Costa Del Sol for North America? Surely, with your palette, an extra few hours flying time to Paris (for example) would be better?

Sometimes we use the Carribean for relaxation and go to Europe for major trips.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only here because I met and fell for then married a Canadian and moved here so we could be together. But I have settled happily enough.

Originally Posted by kate 17
They have areas with big box stores all all laid out exactly the same.
Five minutes from where I lived in Bristol was what I would now call a strip mall. It included two large electrical/appliance stores and a large Staples...all rather like here. Five minutes on there was another branch of one of those appliance stores along with a large B&Q and an even larger B&Q 10 minutes on from there.

Of course we don't call them strip malls in the UK...but they are there and full of the same sorts of stores

There are a lot of people who are really obsessed with ice hockey and country music.

That's true.

On the other hand, it's good for cheap holidays to the Carribean.

I was very happy with Greek Islands and European cities.

The food is tasteless compared to Britain, France, Italy and Spain

I haven't found that.

...then there was that poor Polish man killed at Vancouver airport.

And that innocent Brazilian on the tube.
I would rather live my current 'early retired' lifestyle in Europe...but while my resources make it affordable here it would be impossible back in the UK.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm only here because I met and fell for then married a Canadian and moved here so we could be together. But I have settled happily enough.

I would rather live my current 'early retired' lifestyle in Europe...but while my resources make it affordable here it would be impossible back in the UK.
But Why? the cost of living is just about the same as here. You would have a smaller house that's all.

I'm glad you settled it must be a nightmare in a mixed marriage when one partner hates the other's country.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

But Why? the cost of living is just about the same as here. You would have a smaller house that's all.
The money from the sale of my old 2 bedroom terrace house in Bristol set us up with a lovely detached home and also bought a rental property to provide an income to supplement my early pension and there was still plenty left over.

The Bristol house would not have been big enough for the family and my salary wouldn't have enabled me to meet additional mortgage payments on a place that was big enough.

Four of us have been living here on slightly more than I had left for just me after my mortgage in the UK and that's with the high heating costs here for winter.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:38 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

The orphans sent to Canada and Australia was just wicked, but I suppose the government wanted to colonise their colonies so there was a reason.

Answering this for you dboy would open up a whole new can of worms, so I'm not going to do it because it would take us way off topic. I'll have to crack your skull on a another thread sometime
that wouldn't be fair to the village idiot
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:49 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it you've not visited shopping centres in the UK for a while then. I fail to see the difference. Some may have the nice architecture on the outside but inside i see no difference.

The nice VARIED architecture on the outside adds to the quality of life for me. Inside, there are more choices in everything, as you would expect from a society with a larger population. I was last home I september, so I saw shopping centers.

So you prefer form over function? Surely financial awareness should come first when reviewing liveability?

The reason I came to Canada was choosing financial awareness over form and it was a mistake. Going to Edmonton for more money and giving up my beautiful village....I wouldn't repeat that mistake.

Surely location is the key to this? I can think of quite a few places in the UK where the local delicacy is KFC of McDonalds and the local supermarkets offerings are a little wanting.

No location doesn't matter British food is better of course if you lived on KFC in the UK then you wouldn't notice the difference.

The Carribean is another Costa Del Sol for North America? Surely, with your palette, an extra few hours flying time to Paris (for example) would be better?

Sometimes we use the Carribean for relaxation and go to Europe for major trips.
I do agree about the lack of form here. Some newer buildings can be intesting, but they just don't call out the same. I've taken to focusing on the natural beauty which here in BC is amazing. I do pine for older stuff. Bath is one of my favorite cities in the UK as far as architecture goes.

there are exceptions though. Vancouver has some edwardian and a few victorian buildings and some art deco ( i think I can name all of them and know the history behind them) Many, sadly though are in neglected parts of the city.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...8.18,,0,-17.29

Victoria has an impressive collection of victorian buildings (many built by English and Scottish architects) and I'd go as far as to say they are on a par with your typical victorian seaside town in the UK:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...11,240.97,,0,5

but overall I have to agree with you and I do value form over function.

Last edited by dboy; Apr 27th 2010 at 1:57 am.