Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Canada

Living in Canada

Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Canada

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
At least if you were shopping at the Castle Mall in Norwich, you could go for a nice lunchtime pint here:
Wow..that brings back memories (I was there May(ish) 1989 and remember that pub well...as well as this place

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...19.68,,0,-3.24

There was a radio station (Radio Broadland) very close by and the news announcer guy would spend the afternoon in the Golden Star and then stumble back on an hourly basis to read the news.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:28 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
At least if you were shopping at the Castle Mall in Norwich, you could go for a nice lunchtime pint here:
There is some truth to that, though I always found the pub looked nicer than it actually was. Bit of a tourist trap and not great beer. I am, however, not going to attempt to argue that Toronto comes anywhere close to Norwich in terms of great pubs.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
There is some truth to that, though I always found the pub looked nicer than it actually was. Bit of a tourist trap and not great beer. I am, however, not going to attempt to argue that Toronto comes anywhere close to Norwich in terms of great pubs.
The only time I went there was when visiting home a couple of years ago (hence having a pic on my hard drive). The beer was reasonable but I'd agree on the tourist trap thing.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:35 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Wow..that brings back memories (I was there May(ish) 1989 and remember that pub well...as well as this place

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...19.68,,0,-3.24

There was a radio station (Radio Broadland) very close by and the news announcer guy would spend the afternoon in the Golden Star and then stumble back on an hourly basis to read the news.
I used to live around the corner from the Golden Star. Not a bad pub. This was the most interesting pub in Norwich however:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,66.85,,0,2.85
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, Im going to have to split off a Norwich Pubs thread now!

Ribs of Beef was a popular haunt for me, or the Red Lion. Walnut Tree Shades was a stange one, but convenient for a saturday lunchtime pint downtown.

Ah, memories... nowt like that near here
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:12 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I was always fond of this one in lancaster, Snatchems, near where my old man lives. It used to be where locals got press ganged in to the Navy and Bonnie Prince Charlie allegedly stayed there when on the run.

An unusual feature is that you have to get in before the tide comes in as the river lune floods the front of the pub and part of the car park. Once you are in - you are in for a good!

http://www.lep.co.uk/features/The-ti...igh.3855544.jp

Last edited by dboy; Apr 26th 2010 at 5:23 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
not sure what happened to all the posts - this is directed at kate17
The animal cruelty ones were split off into a different (new) thread in order to try and create some clarity in this one (as well as extol the virtues of Norwich's many excellent hostelries)
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:37 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
The animal cruelty ones were split off into a different (new) thread in order to try and create some clarity in this one (as well as extol the virtues of Norwich's many excellent hostelries)
thanks - i deleted that one anyhow as i can't be bothered arguing anymore.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

petemaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikki2010
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, we are looking at possibly moving to canada, at the minute my partner has been offered a couple of interviews for jobs in Toronto. I just want to get a general feel of how people find living in canada especially Toronto.
Financially I've had a quick look at rentals and it seems a 2 bed is around $1000, please correct me if I'm wrong?

If anybody can tell me their pet hates living there or loves that would be brilliant

Thanks
I love all the sun, blue skies and the crispness of the weather in the winter. I would much rather be cold than wet! Love the summers. Just enjoy the proper "seasons" here. The housing generally is much better. The school class sizes and the education overall is better than the UK. I love having all the playparks and splash pads for the children. Love the films in the parks in the summer.Families are better catered for in Canada. This is just my personal opinion.

I miss the english pubs and gardens. and not really impressed with the bus/train service - but that just might be were I live. Biggest peeve is pushy people - but that mainly in shops etc.,

Wouldn't move back to the UK now - life is much better here - especially for families. Again my own personal opinion - don't shoot me down for having an opinion.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petemaz
Again my own personal opinion...
How dare you
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live around the corner from the Golden Star. Not a bad pub. This was the most interesting pub in Norwich however:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,66.85,,0,2.85
I've abandoned pubs in Canada. It's all about the Dive Bar.

The sheer broadness of random people you can meet whilst sampling the local honey suckle surpasses anything I ever found in the pub in the UK.

Anything in Canada that tries to resemble a british pub, irish pub or has a name vaguely linked to a pub across the water features two things: (1) overpriced beer and (2) a junk atmosphere of people who pretentiously think they are sitting in a real pub and are therfore on a higher plane than their dirtier, skinter cousin in the dive bar.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I went in a Dyke Bar once. I was chuffed to get inside since i was told they'd not let me anywhere near their watering hole.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM
Do you have a particular one to recommend?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:56 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a particular one to recommend?
My most recent haunt was Velvet on Queen & Logan. Actually the food is surprisingly good. Last time I was in there I got chatting to 4 or 5 locals that included a gay guy who was one of the most successful dress makers in Canada and used to play a Cher drag queen.

Over 4 or 5 pints our group debated international trade, politics and the changing face of Leslieville.

I was in there celebrating Britain's winter Olympic gold medal for no reason other than it was a Friday and I needed an excuse to drink on my own.

That was a good night.

You really need to infiltrate the neighbourhoods. And pull yourself up at the bar. It helps if there is a decent bar maid aswell.

I actually quite enjoy pulling up a stool, ordering a pint and then seeing where it all goes.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:57 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by el_richo
I went in a Dyke Bar once. I was chuffed to get inside since i was told they'd not let me anywhere near their watering hole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.