Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Life in Alberta?

Life in Alberta?

Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:40 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Alberta?

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
I currently live in the burbs so not a rural/urban thing here, and of all the provinces PEI is probably the one you are least likely to need a gun in. I suspect in AB there would be a more prevalent gun culture rurally, but ya know, perhaps its just the sort of friends I attract

You seem to be obsessing a lot over some things, one thing I have learnt from being a serial expat is that you have to learn to roll with it and be easy going if you want to make a success of a move. It is always much harder than you think settling into a new country (I always still underestimate that) learning to be more chilled out goes a long way towards helping things run smoothly. I don't mean not being organized, just not sweating the small stuff.

People will have guns, people will hunt, some people will wear dungarees with no shirts and drive pickup trucks (that picture was hilarious) but learning to live and let live is pretty essential in emigrating.
You say you are happy to fit in, but in the nicest possible way it doesn't come across that way.

Yes there are accidents with kids and guns, but have a look at the statistics anywhere in the world for accidents of kids playing on farms/smallholdings if you want to see some really horrific and very common accidents. In your kitchen you have knives, scissors etc, any of those can be hazards to kids, you just have to use common sense and not let your kids around the few crazies.

As I have said before, paedophilia is far more of a risk to kids in the vast majority of societies than guns are. Like everything, teach your kids safety, teach them to be sensible, use your common sense and in Canada you'd have to be abnormally unlucky for anything to go wrong.

Canada is, in general very safe, and if you don't court trouble you would be unlucky to find it. As I mentioned before, some CBT may be able to help with your anxiety, if you are this anxious now its only going to get worse - emigration is not for the faint hearted.

No it really is a case of just trying to find out about the area - how safe it is violence/gun wise more than anything when it comes to my concerns. I have to take that in to account with 3 young children. If I don't ask questions to people who live there I wouldn't learn as much compared to just looking at stats online. So I don't think it's that I'm obsessing over things...just directing a few questions towards how prevalent gun crime or violent crime in general is there. I think in the UK it's a bit more obvious - the run down looking areas in the cities or on the outskirts, or certain council estates, are usually the places you might not choose to live. Elsewhere it's usually fine. But I know that in the US, having lived there, you can live in a great looking neighbourhood but you'll still get an armed house invasion where someone is raped and shot. So, learning that guns were quite popular in Canada too (not just for hunting but as what seems to be a growing trend and also with a strong correlation to drugs), I just wanted to find out how, if at all, that may spill out into the seemingly safe neighbourhoods around. The below link being an example:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/calgary...rbour-lake/amp
It's just general information gathering. Not sweating the small stuff. We'd love to relocate and experience a whole new life somewhere, but when you currently live somewhere that feels incredibly safe, and when you have children, you just went to make sure that where you're considering moving to isn't going to subject them to significant dangers that they otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to. That's all I'm not nuts, honestly
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
No it really is a case of just trying to find out about the area - how safe it is violence/gun wise more than anything when it comes to my concerns. I have to take that in to account with 3 young children. If I don't ask questions to people who live there I wouldn't learn as much compared to just looking at stats online. So I don't think it's that I'm obsessing over things...just directing a few questions towards how prevalent gun crime or violent crime in general is there. I think in the UK it's a bit more obvious - the run down looking areas in the cities or on the outskirts, or certain council estates, are usually the places you might not choose to live. Elsewhere it's usually fine. But I know that in the US, having lived there, you can live in a great looking neighbourhood but you'll still get an armed house invasion where someone is raped and shot. So, learning that guns were quite popular in Canada too (not just for hunting but as what seems to be a growing trend and also with a strong correlation to drugs), I just wanted to find out how, if at all, that may spill out into the seemingly safe neighbourhoods around. The below link being an example:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/calgary...rbour-lake/amp
It's just general information gathering. Not sweating the small stuff. We'd love to relocate and experience a whole new life somewhere, but when you currently live somewhere that feels incredibly safe, and when you have children, you just went to make sure that where you're considering moving to isn't going to subject them to significant dangers that they otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to. That's all I'm not nuts, honestly
I never said you were, what I thought however.... Only joking.

When I lived in the UK I lived in supposedly a very safe and rural part in a very lovely area. I was a victim of violent crime five times.

I used to volunteer for Rape Crisis UK. The amount of people in the UK who have been victims but have never reported is truly shocking and disgusting. Likewise the number of children who have suffered sexual abuse. Recent research shows that in the UK the vast majority of crimes of a sexual nature go unreported. Statistics don't prove anything, lies, damn lies and statistics as the saying goes.

Where did you find the growing correlation between guns and drugs? Canada is not Jo'burg . Guns have been popular in Canada since they were first invented.

You keep asking about how safe Canada is, we all keep saying that its much safer than the UK however you still seem very anxious. It is completely natural to be nervous about a big move, but is it something else which is causing you to focus on guns/violence rather than address the real reason for your anxiety?

I don't know anyone who has moved to Canada and hasn't breathed a sigh of relief at how much safer they feel and how much more relaxed they can be compared to the UK. I have lived in some very dangerous places, I've also lived in some lovely places but I haven't ever felt safer than I do in Canada

I can leave my car unlocked, windows all the way down and my laptop, phone and wallet on the seat in plain sight, come back an hour later and they'll still be there untouched. I don't lock my car at all here, there's no need. I can leave the front door unlocked when we go out too. Now I do realise that PEI is probably a bit safer in that regard than some other areas, but I wouldn't be able to do any of that in any part of the UK, except maybe the outer Hebrides.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
My two cents, Calgary is remote....once you have seen everything you have to travel huge distances to see something different.....let's say states or Vancouver, these are hundreds of miles away, Edmonton is also 200 miles away and is the nearest big city, it is much like Calgary. Though you can go to a world class attraction at Drumheller and the heart of the Rockies in under two hours.

Had I originally moved to Okatokes, I would be back in UK ALREADY. Think one horse town where the horse moved on because it is dull, really really dull.
How is Okotoks any different to any other non-downtown community in Calgary, other than being further south?
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that does put my mind at ease, thank you. On the child front I'm not ready to let them go anywhere on their own yet...just because I'm not ready to let them grow up yet They're still small though so I guess I can get away with it...at least for a while I remember going off on my bike all day when I was younger. I do want them to have that and if we lived in America I just don't think I could ever let that happen there.
Ah good old Isle of Wight. We'll be going there in October when the parents in law are over from America (we always take the children there when they come over as its a good excuse to go...the children love it). I have to say I'm getting pretty sold on Canada. Do you find it much cleaner in Calgary than cities in the UK? I member going to Montreal and thinking how clean it was and that was although that was a while ago now. It felt a nice city. Canada is certainly beautiful. Last time I went it was October and it was just beautiful there.
Calgary is very clean. The thing we noticed when we first came was how clean the public toilets were.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:27 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

I never said you were, what I thought however.... Only joking.

When I lived in the UK I lived in supposedly a very safe and rural part in a very lovely area. I was a victim of violent crime five times.

I used to volunteer for Rape Crisis UK. The amount of people in the UK who have been victims but have never reported is truly shocking and disgusting. Likewise the number of children who have suffered sexual abuse. Recent research shows that in the UK the vast majority of crimes of a sexual nature go unreported. Statistics don't prove anything, lies, damn lies and statistics as the saying goes.

Where did you find the growing correlation between guns and drugs? Canada is not Jo'burg . Guns have been popular in Canada since they were first invented.

You keep asking about how safe Canada is, we all keep saying that its much safer than the UK however you still seem very anxious. It is completely natural to be nervous about a big move, but is it something else which is causing you to focus on guns/violence rather than address the real reason for your anxiety?

I don't know anyone who has moved to Canada and hasn't breathed a sigh of relief at how much safer they feel and how much more relaxed they can be compared to the UK. I have lived in some very dangerous places, I've also lived in some lovely places but I haven't ever felt safer than I do in Canada

I can leave my car unlocked, windows all the way down and my laptop, phone and wallet on the seat in plain sight, come back an hour later and they'll still be there untouched. I don't lock my car at all here, there's no need. I can leave the front door unlocked when we go out too. Now I do realise that PEI is probably a bit safer in that regard than some other areas, but I wouldn't be able to do any of that in any part of the UK, except maybe the outer Hebrides.

I think it's just fear of the unknown. My parents in law often mention about things that happen around them in Texas (I remember when we were at their house staying a while and somebody tried to kick the door in at 3am...and they live in a GREAT neighbourhood in rural Texas. And it was the shock hearing the noise and thinking, "is this a home invasion? Why this house in a road with 50 houses? Do they have a gun? Are they going to shoot us?") So that, and the feeling of completely random acts of violent and quite disturbing crime, just makes me have a heightened sense of worry with the children. I know Calgary isn't Texas But it's still 5+ times the size of where I live now. And technically I'm not IN a city...we're on the edge and it's very quiet (I never lock my car and nearly always forget to lock the house at night which isn't advisable really just because it's not. Not because I think something will happen...but just in case). But I feel completely safe. So to live in ANY city after living where we live I think I'd ask the same questions But Calgary does seem very safe compared to other places its size - especially comparing to the US! But originally I was trying to find somewhere like where we are now - on the edge of the city but not classified as the city. Somewhere a bit more green and a bit more quiet but then I forget the sheer size of North America and the edge of a city there is like an hour+ commute just to get in (for us here where we live it's 15 minutes ) So, 15 minutes away we have EVERYTHING...and yet our home is on the edge of the country with rolling fields and hedge rows and where we live is very build up but combines city convenience with country safety. But I'm learning that's not really possible in North America so it has to be one or the other it seems really But I wouldn't have come to that conclusion without asking so many questions. But for every 10 different people who answer, I try to reply to everyone so I appreciate it makes me look obsessive as I'm the most active at posting on this thread. It might help if i tone the replies back but I do enjoy the chats and info sharing with everyone

Last edited by ABD79; Jun 18th 2017 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well that's surprising...I didn't think guns were THAT common there that so many had them. Although perhaps that's just a rural thing? Do you think it's the case in suburban areas around Calgary (or does anyone who lives there know who might be reading?) Just didn't know if it was like in the US where so many have guns in the home. It's good to know these things when children are involved. You hear so many awful stories of gun accidents in homes in the US involving children :-/
The rules regarding gun ownership in Canada are far more similar to how it is in the UK than how it is in the US. While side arms are permissible, their use is very restricted you will not see members of the public walking around with guns in holsters.

When hiking, you will not need a firearm. If you wish to carry anything, it will be bear spray. However, most people don't.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jun 18th 2017 at 3:38 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Its not about toning back replying, you don't need to do that at all, forums are for sharing information. Re the asking the same question many different ways, then finding news articles on random acts of violence. I don't think anyone minds that, BUT it does come across as a very heightened level of anxiety.
As I say, ask as many questions as you need but don't be surprised when we ask why you are obsessing over something which just isn't an issue here. It honestly is very safe in Canada . I've lived in New Mexico and I've got friends in Texas, in terms of living Canada and the US are very different in a lot of key ways, thankfully!

I don't know which part of the UK you live in that you can get away with an unlocked door and car when you live on the edge of a city, but I don't think that's the case for many areas in the UK at all.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think, rather than me worrying unrealistically, it's things like this in the link that trouble me, which is why I ask so many questions I was looking at Arbour Lake and thinking how it looked nice and lots of people had said it was nice...then I came across a news article about a man being shot in the middle of a nice neighbourhood street around 5pm...about the time my little ones are usually out on their bikes playing outside our house. I know things can happen anywhere, any time, but I guess when guns are legal it makes it a lot easier for a car just to pull up and wipe someone off the face of the earth in the space of a couple of seconds like has happened in the link. It's certainly food for thought! Doesn't make me not want to live in Calgary, but it does make you feel like you want to be extra cautious which is why I ask a lot of questions about safetyhttps://www.google.co.uk/amp/calgary...rbour-lake/amp
I doubt very much that that firearm was legally held.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, if you want to carry a gun around you need an "authorization to carry" permit.

They are very hard to come by and you have to go through some pretty rigorous grilling/vetting to get one, or you have to be known to the RCMP. The are given for "protection of life". So trappers in the wilderness may have one, a bodyguard may have one, you can be granted one if the RCMP believe your life is under threat/in serious jeopardy
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, if you want to carry a gun around you need an "authorization to carry" permit.

They are very hard to come by and you have to go through some pretty rigorous grilling/vetting to get one, or you have to be known to the RCMP. The are given for "protection of life". So trappers in the wilderness may have one, a bodyguard may have one, you can be granted one if the RCMP believe your life is under threat/in serious jeopardy
They are almost impossible to obtain. One needs a one time permit to take one's side arm from one's home to the shooting range. As a result, virtually everyone with a side arm leaves it at the shooting range.

Link to a shooting in Southampton: Man shot in head in Southampton
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes OP, there's horrific violence going on every day in the UK, and not only in London or other cities. Tons of knife crime, and that's just the kids. You seem to be getting a bit paranoid about guns, schools and bears. Those "risks" are the last thing you need to concern yourself with. It's more a question of whether you are hardy enough for a Albertan winter, and whether you will miss the access to certain things that we have in Britain/Europe. It's not about safety.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:36 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Being animal/ danger aware is very sensible. We have amazingly managed to survive the rampages of the wild unscathed without having any urge to get a gun and we never will. Stinky was no bloody use either- he would probably draw bears rather than repel them. In the range of the polar bear then yes, sensible- elsewhere...no, I don't feel that it is necessary. You have to be aware of what is out there and be cautious of course.

We live right next to a massive provincial park, awash with black bear, occasional Grizzlies, rattlesnakes and cougar .. I have counted my limbs ... all four there still despite not toting a gun. I bought bear spray six years after arrival but have taken it with us only a few times

We went on an amazing bear watching trip to the Katmai in Alaska some time back with an amazingly knowledgeable naturalist. We were amongst massive coastal brown bears- the guides were unarmed, they never had had an issue in 20 plus years of operating.

Canada does not have that concentration of Grizzlies in one area so if you stay in groups, follow bear aware advice then you are very unlikely to have problems. We have had numerous bear in our garden, you just have to consider that that might happen and be sensible.
Also, never really asked about bears. Can you truly enjoy and appreciate the scenery in Alberta with the bears? Does anyone on this thread regularly go hiking or biking out in the countryside? Is it as simple as having a rifle with you and that will send a bear away if you see one? Just curious as to how people coexist with bears and how much you can take advantage of the beauty in Alberta with bears about...and Cougars Not sure I'd feel confident with bear spray alone...I hate guns but I genuinely would prefer to have a rifle than a spray so long as it was plausible to carry it unloaded and load it if necessary (I have three young children as I've mentioned so I would never feel comfortable with a loaded gun). I also know that my issue with guns is primarily (not all but primarily) hand gun based. I'd be far more comfortable with having a rifle if out in the country to fend off a bear than having to sleep with a hand gun by my bed in the US in case of a home invasion (which was what several people advised my parents in law to do when they moved to Texas and considered the Dallas/Fort Worth area...but they moved further out to a more rural location. Don't know how quick bears are and if it's likely you'd have time to load a gun. Bears living where I could live is all new to me It's still daunting the thought of having a gun with children around...but on the same token I don't want them to be attacked by a bear and we are out doorsie people.
Edit: just researched and found it's difficult to get a permit to carry for defending against wildlife purposes. So what do people do? Just spray and hope?
Do you actually properly read replies?

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jun 18th 2017 at 4:54 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
They are almost impossible to obtain. One needs a one time permit to take one's side arm from one's home to the shooting range. As a result, virtually everyone with a side arm leaves it at the shooting range.

Link to a shooting in Southampton: Man shot in head in Southampton
Yes but that was one targeted incident 4 years ago
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be more worried about people who use their vehicles as weapons here than losing sleep about guns. Seriously, some of the driving can be shocking, and road design does not help with on and off ramps all within 200 meters of each other! And although gains are being made, drink driving is still too frequently occurring. Google 'deaths on the roads in Alberta', and forget about guns and lock-downs and bears 😉

I live in Cochrane. Life is delightfully event free when it comes scary incidents. Of course they happen. My real fears for my kids involve poor driving, alcohol, weed and STD's. In any combination 🙀 All of the above are everywhere 😉
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes but that was one targeted incident 4 years ago
Just from today's UK news...

Police officer arrested for grooming kids http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-40319365

Men used sword and gun in Southport armed robbery http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-40318705

Man shot dead in front of his toddler http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40318784

Teenager murdered and found with multiple neck wounds http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40318712

By comparison, today's news in Canada...

One murder story and loads on Trump, politics and festival/charity event write ups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.