Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Life in Alberta?

Life in Alberta?

Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Alberta?

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
No coffee after moving house?!? I reckon that buys him at least a couple of years grace with sticking around surely?

We're about to move and I'm just finishing packing - I have a things we will need immediately box and the coffee maker and coffee are in there.
I am debating buying a second coffee maker and getting it set up ready at the new house, can't be too careful after all, we are doing a u-haul self move to seven hours away and I'm doing all of the driving
We're in our mid 50s now, so decided that we're well past the moving ourselves stage. It was the packers who put it in a box and didn't label anything! They even packed the stuff I specifically said not to pack - including the cleaning stuff for the old house. Oh well, they were very efficient and nice guys.

Thankfully there's a 7-11 just a few minutes' walk from here and the old house is only a 7 minute drive so it's not a big deal to bring the cleaning supplies back myself.

Where are you moving? I thought you were going from PEI to NB. Or did you choose NS instead? I brought my partner to Canada last year for 5 weeks (he's never been anywhere except UK and Australia) and we spent a lot of time in the maritimes. We really loved Nova Scotia and would happily go back tomorrow if there was work for us both there. Unfortunately the majority of work for him is in remote areas of BC.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We're in our mid 50s now, so decided that we're well past the moving ourselves stage. It was the packers who put it in a box and didn't label anything! They even packed the stuff I specifically said not to pack - including the cleaning stuff for the old house. Oh well, they were very efficient and nice guys.

Thankfully there's a 7-11 just a few minutes' walk from here and the old house is only a 7 minute drive so it's not a big deal to bring the cleaning supplies back myself.

Where are you moving? I thought you were going from PEI to NB. Or did you choose NS instead? I brought my partner to Canada last year for 5 weeks (he's never been anywhere except UK and Australia) and we spent a lot of time in the maritimes. We really loved Nova Scotia and would happily go back tomorrow if there was work for us both there. Unfortunately the majority of work for him is in remote areas of BC.
We had movers for one of our moves but they stole a lot of our things and broke a lot of others, despite coming highly recommended. After that I said we'd move ourselves - starting to regret it now!

That's lucky, and makes things a bit simpler. The new house is pretty rural and its a bit of a long drive to go back and forth, but we will be closing on the new house two weeks before closing on our current house to give us time to ferry things about.

We're going PEI to NS (Lunenburg area). In the end the company who offered my husband a job in NS upped their offer compared to the one in NB, and I'm being treated at Halifax hospital (quite a hike at the moment!) so NS made more sense really.

I would love to live in remote BC, we were supposed to be going to Yukon but my health scuppered it. I do really enjoy living in remote places, we've done it before it other countries, but for now we need to be closer to facilities. I intend to be a menace after our son has left home and I've retire though
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

One last post on this thread from me....

I've just read all the nice things people have said in my defense and I really do appreciate it. Yes, I have a fairly high post count, but I have been around these boards for 11.5 years and have posted a lot in the Australia immigration forum over the years. I also spent some time as a moderator when the Aus section was much busier, so posted a lot then as well. Now it's mostly crap in the general sections with people who have become virtual friends over the years. (And some who have become real life friends.)

When I posted about my experiences of moving from Canada to Australia it was in response to a question from Shard. Not to garner sympathy, but just an honest answer to a question from another member.

So, thank you to everyone who has said kind things about me and if the OP has taken offence to anything I've said then I can only say that I'm sorry she's taken it that way. I am not known for being overly sweet, but what I am is to the point. Not everyone likes the direct approach, but I'm a very black and white personality and appreciate directness.

Now, can we get on with this thread drifting in the usual manner? I think we're on to coffee and moving house now.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:04 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
We had movers for one of our moves but they stole a lot of our things and broke a lot of others, despite coming highly recommended. After that I said we'd move ourselves - starting to regret it now!

That's lucky, and makes things a bit simpler. The new house is pretty rural and its a bit of a long drive to go back and forth, but we will be closing on the new house two weeks before closing on our current house to give us time to ferry things about.

We're going PEI to NS (Lunenburg area). In the end the company who offered my husband a job in NS upped their offer compared to the one in NB, and I'm being treated at Halifax hospital (quite a hike at the moment!) so NS made more sense really.

I would love to live in remote BC, we were supposed to be going to Yukon but my health scuppered it. I do really enjoy living in remote places, we've done it before it other countries, but for now we need to be closer to facilities. I intend to be a menace after our son has left home and I've retire though
We only got as far as Peggy's Cove when we were there. I wanted to drive along the south shore all the way around, but we had baseball tickets in Toronto and had to get back When we come next year we'll do the long drive. This year it's a quick trip for my partner to land and to see my very elderly mum before we come back to Perth.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We only got as far as Peggy's Cove when we were there. I wanted to drive along the south shore all the way around, but we had baseball tickets in Toronto and had to get back When we come next year we'll do the long drive. This year it's a quick trip for my partner to land and to see my very elderly mum before we come back to Perth.
I'm hoping to do some of the coastal drives over this summer with a picnic (and plenty of coffee). I really love driving.

A quick trip sounds pretty shattering, we've done quite a few whistle stop tours in the past and whilst I've loved the go go go, I've always needed some time to recover
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:48 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is the last post you'll find from me. Enjoy your online chats but I have an actual life and real life people to talk to. I don't wish to hang out here and build pretend cyber relationships with anyone. I was here to ask some questions and that was it. Not be told over and over and over that I'm obsessed, paranoid, have walls of text, don't use correct punctuation of paragraph breaks and all the rest of it, (there's been worse). This is ridiculous. This whole thread is now. You have literally made my life miserable while I've been on this site. Yes the initial replies were helpful and extremely appreciated. But as the thread went on it was insult after insult aimed at me. It was mocking and name calling. I asked a number of times for it to stop. After I while I finally said something back and because of that all hell breaks loose? Seriously? Because I finall had enough? You are nothing but online bullies and you should be ashamed. Particularly as some of you are way old enough to know better. Stop hanging out in a damn forum for your relationships and get out into the real world. Please. Then people like me who just wish to ask some questions can do so without being bullied for it. This isn't me. This isn't my world. And neither do I wish it to be. Posting on this site was the worst mistake I have made in a long time. Enjoy your online friends and your pack mentality of ganging up on someone to poke fun, call names and character bash. I'm over this now. I want to get off this site and will do so as my life is much more than a forum. Good day.

IF AN ADMINISTRATOR SEES THIS PLEASE DELETE THIS WHOLE THREAD. THIS IS AN AWFUL SITE OF ONLINE BULLIES HELL BENT ON MAKING OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES MISERABLE. I HAVE EVEB HAD THEM FOLLOW ME INTO OTHER POSTS I'VE MADE TO CONTINUE THE ABUSE THERE. PLEASE DELETE THE WHOLE THREAD. THESE PEOPLE GIVE THIS WHOLE SITE A BAD NAME.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:54 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. I'm actually dyslexic and have spent my whole life trying to overcome the issues associated with it. Think before you criticise someone. You have no idea of their background. My sister was also killed when I was 9 years old. 3 days before my 10th birthday. I also lost my mum at a young age. So the safety of my children is VERY important to me, and of us as a family as a whole as I don't want them growing up without their mummy. Again, you should think before you gang up on people and all club together like a pack of animals to bring someone weaker down. I will not reply to any more comments now. I am literally in tears and I want this all over. If you want to take the time to reread from the start you'll see I ignored rude comments, then ended up trying to reply politely about them, then finally I retaliated. You pushed, and pushed, and pushed until in the end you had a show and I hope you enjoyed it. Clearly you like to poke, poke, poke until you get a reaction. And then you use that reaction to somehow justify all your jibes and mocking and rudeness and try and pass the blame. This is what bullies do. You're bullies. Now LEAVE ME ALONE.

Last edited by ABD79; Jun 22nd 2017 at 10:00 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

If you PM one of the mods you might be able to get your thread deleted. At least I think so, I've never wanted to.

Still, if you're not looking at it anymore its a tad irrelevant and the advice may be useful for anyone else thinking about Calgary.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 10:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
Well this is the last post you'll find from me. Enjoy your online chats but I have an actual life and real life people to talk to. I don't wish to hang out here and build pretend cyber relationships with anyone. I was here to ask some questions and that was it. Not be told over and over and over that I'm obsessed, paranoid, have walls of text, don't use correct punctuation of paragraph breaks and all the rest of it, (there's been worse). This is ridiculous. This whole thread is now. You have literally made my life miserable while I've been on this site. Yes the initial replies were helpful and extremely appreciated. But as the thread went on it was insult after insult aimed at me. It was mocking and name calling. I asked a number of times for it to stop. After I while I finally said something back and because of that all hell breaks loose? Seriously? Because I finall had enough? You are nothing but online bullies and you should be ashamed. Particularly as some of you are way old enough to know better. Stop hanging out in a damn forum for your relationships and get out into the real world. Please. Then people like me who just wish to ask some questions can do so without being bullied for it. This isn't me. This isn't my world. And neither do I wish it to be. Posting on this site was the worst mistake I have made in a long time. Enjoy your online friends and your pack mentality of ganging up on someone to poke fun, call names and character bash. I'm over this now. I want to get off this site and will do so as my life is much more than a forum. Good day.

IF AN ADMINISTRATOR SEES THIS PLEASE DELETE THIS WHOLE THREAD. THIS IS AN AWFUL SITE OF ONLINE BULLIES HELL BENT ON MAKING OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES MISERABLE. I HAVE EVEB HAD THEM FOLLOW ME INTO OTHER POSTS I'VE MADE TO CONTINUE THE ABUSE THERE. PLEASE DELETE THE WHOLE THREAD. THESE PEOPLE GIVE THIS WHOLE SITE A BAD NAME.
Well forgive us all for sending hours trying to help you. Do you know that my posts to you in the Aus forum were really some of the most honest ones I've done on here on months, cos I thought it was worth chatting to you and trying to get you over your many fears? I actually started to like your persona.......

However, finally you have reminded me of the main reason I don't post like that much anymore. It hurts when it gets thrown back in your face.

P.S. I'm actually dyslexic and have spent my whole life trying to overcome the issues associated with it. Think before you criticise someone. You have no idea of their background. My sister was also killed when I was 9 years old. 3 days before my 10th birthday. I also lost my mum at a young age. So the safety of my children is VERY important to me, and of us as a family as a whole as I don't want them growing up without their mummy. Again, you should think before you gang up on people and all club together like a pack of animals to bring someone weaker down. I will not reply to any more comments now. I am literally in tears and I want this all over. If you want to take the time to reread from the start you'll see I ignored rude comments, then ended up trying to reply politely about them, then finally I retaliated. You pushed, and pushed, and pushed until in the end you had a show and I hope you enjoyed it. Clearly you like to poke, poke, poke until you get a reaction. And then you use that reaction to somehow justify all your jibes and mocking and rudeness and try and pass the blame. This is what bullies do. You're bullies. Now LEAVE ME ALONE.
Maybe if you had said the word dyslexic a little earlier it would have helped some people to understand? There are many dyslexic posters on here, as there are many posters with other conditions. Thats what is great about the core of the BE community, as we learn what makes people tick, we learn how to live with them and help them (if needed).
One of the first friends I ever made on this forum, back in 2003, is dyslexic, she made sure we knew so that we would understand some of her typing mistakes - daft thing is her dyslexic typing was always better than my drunken stuff

I take exception toyour snie about 'real life friends' by the way. Without the real life friends I have met through BE I would have precisely 8 friends on this side of the world. Sad but true. Everyone else, plus a partner, plus many friends backin the UK, stems from BE. Thats real life.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 22nd 2017 at 10:39 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 10:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, we don't delete threads. I will however close it, but before I do I have one final comment to make - for some reason you can't see how your behaviour on this forum has been the same as that you have accused others of.

You complain about others following you to other threads, but you've done exactly the same thing to Dorothy (http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr...tralia-897948/), for some reason it's ok when you do it, but not when others do? Ditto the 'mocking' - it's a big problem when others pick you up on your lack of paragraphs, but it's fine for you to say people have no life and to belittle them for the help they've tried to give you.

I have absolutely no idea why you can't see that you've behaved the same as everybody else and why you're taking such offence. You'll note that the genuine abuse (by 'jerryhung' who called you some appalling names) has been deleted, as it broke Site Rule 1. No other posts break any rules and nobody else has bullied you - or if they have, you've bullied them right back in exactly the same manner.

As I asked you to previously, take a step back and re-read your posts. They are no better than anybody else's.

Thread closed.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 22nd 2017 at 10:43 am.